Protein Powder Cookies

Options
I want to make chocolate cookies with protein powder, however all the recipes I can find include things I don't have. That means things like rolled oats, sugar substitutes, peanut butter, apple sauce....
Would it be bad if I just added Chocolate protein powder to a normal cookie recipe? Or should I substitute it for the flour?
Got any 'normal' cookie recipes I can use that just include protein powder?

Not a cook. Can you tell! :laugh:

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    No one? Really?
  • Carnal_Desire
    Carnal_Desire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What type of cookies are you wanting to make and what do you call normal? You could probably mix the protein powder with the
    flour, possibly use alittle lessd flour. Don't want to replace completely because the cookies will not bake/rise the way they should. If you are trying to lose weight you have to look at the calories and carbs of a "normal" cookie recipe and make sure your not shooting yourself in the foot by using a normal recipe. Like, you dont want chocolate chips in it or atleast not alot.. that kinda thing.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Google "cooking with protein powder". I found a lot of articles and recipes that way. In summary, you can substitute the protein powder for some of the flour in a recipe, but protein leaves your baked goods much drier. I read to add more fats (like oil) to counteract that... but that's not exactly what I was looking to do! lol Livestrong site had some good articles and I found a couple of good recipes from a Men's Health online article.

I'm not a cook by any means... so that's all I've got. Good luck!
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    most things thatre cooked with protein powder need flour or it will taste like cardboard
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    What type of cookies are you wanting to make and what do you call normal? You could probably mix the protein powder with the
    flour, possibly use alittle lessd flour. Don't want to replace completely because the cookies will not bake/rise the way they should. If you are trying to lose weight you have to look at the calories and carbs of a "normal" cookie recipe and make sure your not shooting yourself in the foot by using a normal recipe. Like, you dont want chocolate chips in it or atleast not alot.. that kinda thing.

Normal as in sugar, eggs, flour. A really simple recipe.

I am not really looking to lose weight at the moment. I am weight lifting so cutting calories is not going to be helpful to building muscle. I want to make a cookie treat with a protein boost, that all really.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    Google "cooking with protein powder". I found a lot of articles and recipes that way. In summary, you can substitute the protein powder for some of the flour in a recipe, but protein leaves your baked goods much drier. I read to add more fats (like oil) to counteract that... but that's not exactly what I was looking to do! lol Livestrong site had some good articles and I found a couple of good recipes from a Men's Health online article.

I'm not a cook by any means... so that's all I've got. Good luck!

Yeah, that's when I ran up against rolled oats and apple sauce. I'll give it another go. Thanks!

I might just have to get some rolled oats. Not a fan of porridge and I make cookies once in a blue moon but I reckon I can find a packet small enough somewhere if I look hard enough.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I substitute protein powder for flour often, but I usually don't go more than 1/2 the flour in the recipe. I also substitute cottage cheese (make it creamy in a blender) for milk and/or oil in a recipe.