Gestational diabetes; a blessing in disguise

Options
hazedot
hazedot Posts: 111 Member
So... I just had my first baby 3 weeks ago and I'm already the skinniest I've been in so long I don't even remember. 194.2lbs. When I got married on the 14th June last year I weighed 196lbs. I was diagnosed with Gestational diabetes at 27 weeks and it meant I had to watch all my blood sugar levels to make sure my little one didn't become sugar dependant or hugely massive. I managed to have a healthy baby girl weighing 7lbs 10oz.

It's taught me to think about what I'm eating and now it's become so routine I don't even think about it. It also gave me an insight into what it might be like to be on insulin everyday and have diabetes and I can tell you now; diabetes is a ball ache to deal with, especially if you can reduce your risk of it by losing weight.

I suppose in a weird way it could be a NSV? I know that I might be lowish for me weightwise, but I do need to tone up now. I still have about 40-50lbs to be down to my goal weight, but at least I didn't pile on loads and loads of weight when pregnant. Anybody have any suggestions for exercise I can do with a baby? It would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Replies

• Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS on your new little one! Yes, GD does have some advantages. I developed GD with all three of my pregnancies, so I was able to keep my weight gain very low during all of my pregnancies.

As for exercising postpartum, take it slow. Start off with some moderate walking. Your pelvic floor muscles are weak from delivery (if you delivered vaginally), so you want to give them time to heal. Most doctors tell you to wait 6-8 weeks before starting an exercise routine.

I started Insanity at 2 months postpartum and loved it. I have since moved on to New Rules of Lifting for Women and now Stronglifts 5x5. Just take everything one day at a time. Enjoy every second with your baby, because like everyone says.....They grow up SO fast! :)
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same experience. My fasting #'s were over 1000, and I was immediately put on two types of insulin.

My son is 9, and I was JUST diagnosed with Type 2 six weeks ago. I weighed the same as when I delivered (175), but I wasn't careful to maintain the diet I had learned.

I'm now working on losing weight, and will get my numbers rechecked at the 12 week mark. If no improvement, I go on medication.

My advice: don't deviate too far from the diet. It can easily bite you in the butt.

Feel free to friend me! Warning: I met with a nutritionist who wanted me on low carb for now. So my diary is LC.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your beautiful little girl :)

Here is my GD story in short.

I was diagnosed at 37 weeks so was too far gone to change what I had already done to my body. My little boy was born 9lb 9oz. Had a terrible labour because of GD, I had to be induced the day before my due date (really they should have induced me at 37/38 weeks as they could already tell my son was quite big) I spent an hour trying to push and he was stuck! I ended up being rushed into theatre where they told me they were going to attempt getting him out using a ventouse and if this didn't work they were going to do an emergency c-section (I was so disorientated that I couldn't even keep my eyes open) my son was in distress as I managed to push him far enough for them to latch onto his head and then his shoulder got stuck behind my pelvis. They managed to move him around to get him out. At this stage I was suffering from a hemorrhage. They sorted me out and both me and my son are very lucky to be here today.

Since having my son I haven't been careful with what I was eating but that's changed now, I don't want to be diabetic due to my sugar addiction.

I won't be having another child, GD comes back and although I would know how to manage it this time around, my labour was far too traumatic to go through it all again.

Let your body rest before you start working out, light pelvic floor exercises and yoga would be perfect for you. Youtube have some lovely gentle exercises you can do with your little one.

Hope you're feeling well and congrats again :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    One word: weightlifting! I'm sure you know the statistics about gestational diabetes increasing your risk for Type II diabetes within the next five years. Even though they are two different conditions, they are linked. You will want to do something to reduce the risk and there's nothing like exercise to do that (and also cutting out sugar and maybe, wheat if it is "addictive" for you). One of the very best exercises that you can do for increasing insulin sensitivity is lifting heavy weights (combating "insulin resistance" which is part of the Type II picture). I had gestational diabetes, and because my brother is an insulin-dependent Type II, it made me very high risk for developing it. Fortunately, I was spared and I don't worry about it anymore since I cut out sugar and wheat and lift weights (in addition to cardio). Before I did that, my doc was getting concerned that my A1C and my fasting blood sugar was not that great so I knew I needed to do something fast. But I'm happy to report that my last blood work was great! You can do it!

p.s. Congrats on your beautiful baby!
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    Congratulations :)

I had my little boy 4 months ago and I'm sure you know this, but just in case, I want to share something that I didn't know with you. Do NOT start doing sit ups or anything similar until you have had your 8 week check. If you start doing them, apparently you end up with a dome and will forever have a big belly sticking out!

She's gorgeous BTW. Good work :) xxx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!