Feeling Faint?

Options
For the last few mornings - maybe a week - I've been waking up feeling extremely faint. It is only in the mornings. I'm very tired and dizzy, and I feel like I'm going to pass out. This morning I had to sit down before I even left my bedroom. I always make sure to eat breakfast as soon as I wake up, but minutes after eating (or even during) I'll become very nauseous, almost to the point that I can't eat another bite. I just push through that feeling and finish my meal, but I will feel sick for another few hours before l start getting hungry for lunch. I'm curious if anyone else has ever experienced this?

You can feel free to look at my diary. I know I'm not the best eater, but I try to average around 1300 calories a day. I never purposefully eat below 1200, but sometimes if I work a 10 or 11 hour shift at work (with a 30 minute lunch, which is the only time we are allowed to consume food) it's hard to fit it all in. At this point I've only been counting calories and have not incorporated any exercise. I've counted calories, worked out, and gone through all of this weight loss stuff before, but I've never experienced these symptoms before...just wondering if they're normal or not.

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy test!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I had the same problem for a couple of days. It was when I was underrating - going to bed on a really empty stomach without enough fluids. I woke up so faint, couldn't eat because I felt so sick, and almost fainted at work.

Make sure you are eating enough. I had been on 1200 for 6 weeks and not seen much change in weight, now I have increased my intake (been exercising a lot so super hungry) and my weight has suddenly started dropping!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy test!

that too!
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    Pregnancy test!

Should have also probably mentioned that this is, uh, not possible. Believe me.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    For me, if I don't eat enough protein, I have the same symptoms. I can eat however much actual food/calories and if my protein is low, I feel terrible the next day. I bumped up my protein consumption (stayed at the same calories) and haven't had any problems since.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You might want to switch out those Kellogg's bars to proper meals, although they give you the calories, but, not full balanced diet. And are you drinking enough water? Have you suddenly cut out certain food types? Eg, suddenly going to sugar free, All these might impact the way your body react. And could it be that you are not eating enough, not sure what's your weight, height, 1200 diet may be too low for you.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I used to not be able to eat breakfast really early in the morning. Like if I had to wake up at 5am or something, I'd be to nauseous to eat and would have to wait until 8 or 9. Eventually I sort of grew out of it.

Try eating more protein (especially right before bed), and if you think you may be anemic, try some iron supplements. Also, make sure you're eating enough. If your 10-11 hour shifts are on your feet, 1300 is almost certainly not enough food for you. Also, try different things for breakfast. One thing may make you nauseous, but another may be fine.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Drink more water :) Sounds like you're dehydrated.
  • dianamckinley944
    Options
    Please don't under eat..if you are working a full day and not eating right this will happen! I get this way when i'm very hungry and don't eat well.I hope you figure this out and feel better soon.
  • MrsRamseyForever
    MrsRamseyForever Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One of my first responses would have been like another poster: pregnancy test. But I see you say this is not a possibility, so I will throw out my other thought...

Have you ever had any issues with blood sugar? Does your family have a history of diabetes or blood sugar issues? I am not a doctor by any means but I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy and when my sugar was either too high or too low I would get nauseous and light headed and really faint (once my sugar was low enough to where I was afraid to move because I thought I would fall- thankfully someone was with me and able to give me some juice).

Overall, though, I think you should see a doctor. They would be the only person truly qualified to figure this out. There are simple blood tests that can be done to make sure that your sugar is fine as well as other things (anemia is another thought- a simple iron test could tell you if that is an issue). Try upping your calorie intake maybe in the mean time and see if that helps any. Maybe for your night time snack try eating something that is lower in carbs- this might keep your blood sugar from spiking before bed time and then dropping low while you sleep (if it is a sugar issue, carbs also count into that so you will need to watch your carb count). Bottom line, though- see a doctor! Some things can be "discussed" and "fixed" through a chat board but something serious like feeling faint EVERY morning is something that should really be discussed with a doctor because that could be a sign of a serious underlying health issue. (Not trying to sound mean, just concerned for your health- if it is diabetes or sugar related, that stuff can be serious!) Hope you see a doctor and get some answers! And hope you start feeling better too!
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    You might want to switch out those Kellogg's bars to proper meals, although they give you the calories, but, not full balanced diet. And are you drinking enough water? Have you suddenly cut out certain food types? Eg, suddenly going to sugar free, All these might impact the way your body react. And could it be that you are not eating enough, not sure what's your weight, height, 1200 diet may be too low for you.

Switching out the Kellogg's bars is definitely one of my next goals. I don't use them as meal replacements, necessarily, but they help curb my hunger between meals or when I wake up late for school and have to skip breakfast. I spend about 60% of my day in a classroom, work, or my car, so they've helped control my hunger until I can sit down to eat rather than attack the first vending machine/snack aisle/fast food chain I see. My daily diet used to consistent of granola bar for breakfast, Doritos & peanut butter cookies for lunch, and McDonalds double cheeseburger value meal for dinner (with a small vanilla milkshake). I ate that everyday for 5 months. Now that I'm one month without fast food and junk food snacks, I think I'm getting to the point of switching out my new snacks for even healthier options.
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    One of my first responses would have been like another poster: pregnancy test. But I see you say this is not a possibility, so I will throw out my other thought...

Have you ever had any issues with blood sugar? Does your family have a history of diabetes or blood sugar issues? I am not a doctor by any means but I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy and when my sugar was either too high or too low I would get nauseous and light headed and really faint (once my sugar was low enough to where I was afraid to move because I thought I would fall- thankfully someone was with me and able to give me some juice).

Overall, though, I think you should see a doctor. They would be the only person truly qualified to figure this out. There are simple blood tests that can be done to make sure that your sugar is fine as well as other things (anemia is another thought- a simple iron test could tell you if that is an issue). Try upping your calorie intake maybe in the mean time and see if that helps any. Maybe for your night time snack try eating something that is lower in carbs- this might keep your blood sugar from spiking before bed time and then dropping low while you sleep (if it is a sugar issue, carbs also count into that so you will need to watch your carb count). Bottom line, though- see a doctor! Some things can be "discussed" and "fixed" through a chat board but something serious like feeling faint EVERY morning is something that should really be discussed with a doctor because that could be a sign of a serious underlying health issue. (Not trying to sound mean, just concerned for your health- if it is diabetes or sugar related, that stuff can be serious!) Hope you see a doctor and get some answers! And hope you start feeling better too!

This is something I haven't considered, but will. My family has a history of sugar disorders, and I had problems with anemia during my middle school years but haven't had those problems (that I know of) in years. My step-dad is diabetic and I like to check my sugar when he does during the weekends I go home to visit, and last time I checked it (Christmas time) it was pretty high...but I was also eating poorly (see previous post on the Doritos and McDonalds diet) and it was Christmas (lots of cookies and cheesecake). I'm going home on Monday and will be sure to have my dad check my sugar!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how I am when my sinuses are going crazy. Going from laying down to standing up too quickly triggers a vasovagal response. You know, that feeling you get when you stand up too fast? Mine gets bad when my sinuses are swollen. But then it never goes away either until much later in the day.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Not normally and I don't get why dizziness prompts a response for pregnancy test :laugh: Definitely not the first thing I would have thought!

Whenever I have a really heavy period in the past, I would get dizzy spells, even faint. It ended up being that although I am not normally anemic, if I have periods that are very heavy like that, I lose a lot of iron and blood. Can be a very dangerous situation to be in.

I suspect iron and low blood sugar. Go see a doctor and take care of yourself!
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    That's exactly how I am when my sinuses are going crazy. Going from laying down to standing up too quickly triggers a vasovagal response. You know, that feeling you get when you stand up too fast? Mine gets bad when my sinuses are swollen. But then it never goes away either until much later in the day.

This is something to consider as well. The weather has been crazy - below zero with blizzard conditions on Tuesday and 60 degrees today - and it's screwing up my sinuses. However, I think the dehydration someone else mentioned might be playing a part, too. I'm pretty good about drinking a lot of water, but my water bottles all need to be cleaned right now so I haven't been chugging as much lately. I should probably clean those...
  • lisanhorowitz
    lisanhorowitz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You seem dehydrated, and you might need to eat more at dinner closer (but not too close) to bed time
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I had something simliar happen to me. But I was taking 2 iron pills at night. My iron was really low and 1 pill in the morning time wasn't helping. So, I decided to switch it to night time and to take 2 pills instead of 1. And I went WAY over in iron. I went back to my doctor. He thought I had an ear infection because of the dizzines and nautiousness. I urged him to check my blood. My iron was WAY over the "normal" range. It was frightening. I immediately went back to 1 pill, but still taking it in th evening. The dizzy spells went away almost immediately. I'm now in the "normal" range for iron.

Maybe you are over or under in a vitamin or mineral. If it doesn't get better, get a blood test with CBC differential, Iron, B12, VD, the works.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    This sounds right!

This is something to consider as well. The weather has been crazy - below zero with blizzard conditions on Tuesday and 60 degrees today - and it's screwing up my sinuses. However, I think the dehydration someone else mentioned might be playing a part, too. I'm pretty good about drinking a lot of water, but my water bottles all need to be cleaned right now so I haven't been chugging as much lately. I should probably clean those...
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Low blood sugar is the first thing that popped into my head.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Drinking lots of water is important for helping clear out the sinuses too...so definitely keep up on that. Meanwhile, try treating your sinuses and see if it makes a difference. And remember to get up slowly in the morning.

If it *is* sinuses...are you doing yoga? I find that I absolutely can NOT do yoga on bad sinus days. The dizziness and vertigo just get too strong and overwhelming and it actually makes me vomit and faint.