Recommendations for Polar HRM?

Options
Showmm
Showmm Posts: 406 Member
I've been given a good offer of 40% off a new Polar HRM. I'm not an elite athlete and only do a bit of running, so don't really need a GPS model or one with a zillion lap recording possibilities. I'd like calorie burn along with heart rate, but not sure what other functions I might want as I become more fit and want to do more. Any suggestions? I'll be getting one from the UK store (http://www.polarelectro.co.uk/uk-en) in case that makes any difference.

Polar makes suggestions, but I'd like to hear from people and not just the company for recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have the ft4 - easy to use and fits all my needs
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If you want basic function, the FT4 is a good one.
  • Showmm
    Options
    The FT4 does look good, it's definitely one to consider.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the FT4 here. I use it along with the heart rate monitor built into the machines at my gym, and get virtually identical measurements.
  • Showmm
    Options
    Doesn't the monitor you are wearing over ride any hand sensors for heart rate anyway, so you would expect it to be the same, as it's measuring from the same device?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the monitor you are wearing over ride any hand sensors for heart rate anyway, so you would expect it to be the same, as it's measuring from the same device?

That is correct, your monitor will synch with the machine.

I have an older Polar, the bottom of the line, comparable to the newer FT4. Honestly, I bought it, used it about twenty times, and never used it again. I've had it for five years and it sits in my drawer. Unless you are doing a LOT of cardio - like training for a marathon or something, I wouldn't even buy one - knowing what I now know about them. I just use a flat 300 cals per hour for exercise and call it good. It's close enough.

Here - MFP member Azdak has a few blogs about it, this is a good place to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Polar HRM but it died. Couldn't get one in a shop, so I bought the one that they had available. Suunto brand. Cost me $200 and I hate it. Wore it for a week, but it annoys me so much that I haven't worn it since. I can't tell the time when the HRM is on, and I find that really annoying and it is SO easy to knock the control and pause the workout, so an hour later, I look at it and it says I have only started. Grr.

So I recommend Polar!! Heard the 4 is enough for the average person.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I went with the FT60 it is GPS capable so if you care to add a foot pod (GPS) at a later time you can... Best of Luck
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    I have only had my FT4 for a week. So far it has been very accurate and takes the guess work out of trying to figure out how many calories I'm burning during each workout.
  • Showmm
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone, and thanks for the blog post, it's interesting reading. I did just calculate my VO2 max this week trying two different methods and it's better than I expected, which is also part of the reason I want a new HRM. Just to be a bit more accurate about these things, rather than a total guesstimate for my varied activities.
  • idontmeanmaybe
    idontmeanmaybe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone with Bluetooth Smart/LE, the Polar H7 is great.
  • rissaloses
    rissaloses Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also suggest the FT4, I love mine!
  • fdny9943
    fdny9943 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a H7 that I use Bluetooth with my iPhone and Digifit app. It works great for my cardio in the gym and my Spinning
  • CyberEd312
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone, and thanks for the blog post, it's interesting reading. I did just calculate my VO2 max this week trying two different methods and it's better than I expected, which is also part of the reason I want a new HRM. Just to be a bit more accurate about these things, rather than a total guesstimate for my varied activities.

The FT60 allows you to set your Vo2 Max manually or by the fit test program too.....
  • webutmirrortheworld
    webutmirrortheworld Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm putting in another vote for the FT4! I love mine!
  • CyberEd312
    Options
    I have a H7 that I use Bluetooth with my iPhone and Digifit app. It works great for my cardio in the gym and my Spinning

Just wondering is the H7 only Apple product compatible (Iphone only)?? or does it work with Android phones as well???
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ugghh, here we go again. It seems I see a posting every other day about which HRM to buy. So here's my 2 cents.

I have the FT7, it's great. But if you want to save a few bucks get the FT4 they are almost identical. The major difference is the FT7 stores more data.

If you are an iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 user, check out the H4 which is the BlueTooth transmitter/strap only. For me, though I like having the watch (of the FT7) since it's very easy to glance at to look at while working out. Who wants to whip out their phone to see their HR while jogging?

Search on MFP for Polar HRM you will find COUNTLESS reviews/arguments, etc on them. But they all say the same thing. The FT4 or the FT7.

Good Luck!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The Polar Beats app is only iOS. If your Android phone supports BT4.0, then it will work with Android. There are numerous apps out there that the H4/H7 will work with (Edmondo, RunKeeper, Garmin, Nike Running+).. But if your phone is BlueTooth 3.0, don't bother.

- Mike
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    I have an FT4 and I love it ! It's very easy to use and very accurate .
  • ScottThomasM
    Options
    I posted a thread just like this last week and due to the overwhelming support of the FT4 I bought one. Was not disappointed in the slightest does exactly what it says on the tin and I've used it almost every day this week. It has my vote.

Out of curiosity how did you snag a 40% off voucher for a Polar HRM? I FT4 I just bought cost me like £50