Please Try! Absolutely delicious and filling snack: 83kcal!

Options
This is my own recipe I came up with when I was starving and I only had about 100kcal left to play with! Absolutely delicious, could be used as a starter or a midnight snack/craving.

Stuffed Tomatoes
Suitable for vegetarians, and vegans if cheese is not added.

Serves 1, 83kcal

Ingredients;
- 3 medium sized salad tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, diced finely
- 10g cous cous
- seasoning: you can use your imagination, garlic, chilli, chives, parsley, rosemary, salt, pepper, a dash of your favourite sauce
- 1 very light cheese triangle, I use laughing cow at around 20kcals

1. Cut the tops off each tomato making a lid. Scoop out the inside, discard the hard centre but place seeds and juice in a small bowl.
2. In this bowl place your chopped onion, cous cous and seasoning. Stir and add a little water so the cous cous is just covered.
3. Place bowl in microwave and blast for about 1 minute until the cous cous has absorbed most of the juice. This is important as there is so little water it cools too quickly to soften the cous cous.
4. Divide the mixture into the scooped out tomatoes, divide the cheese on top of the mixture and replace 'lid' of tomato.
5. Place in a shallow bowl to stop them from falling around, place in microwave and blast for about 2 mintues until the tomato is hot and feels softly cooked. Alternatively place in a ovenproof dish and cook for 10 minutes at about 180 degrees celcius.

NB: For convienience I usually cook in microwave and know this is a proven method, although I believe it would taste very nice in the oven, you may have to adjust accordingly. I have a 750W microwave.

Replies

• squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Can I dip it in Hershey's syrup?
    Just kidding, this sounds really good!
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    Or you could not cook it and use it like a salad.
  • malmustafa79
    malmustafa79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JRabbit11
    JRabbit11 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for sharing!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Sounds uber tasty! I will have to try it soon!
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    this sounds excellent! i'm gonna go buy some tomatoes :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try this!! thanks for sharing.
  • Dancey30
    Dancey30 Posts: 8
    Options
    sounds great. I will have to try it when I have my next dinner party :) would be a great way for people to snack but not get to much calories!!
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    Yummy!!!
  • tzipporah
    tzipporah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump bump
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    bump... yum!
  • tzipporah
    tzipporah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just tried this...used some leftover quinoa, two roma tomatoes, a wedge of laughing cow light original swiss and some chalula hot sauce....DELICIOUS. it was GREAT.