My Polar HRM loses my heartbeat several times during workout

funkyspunky871
funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
It's just started happening yesterday. I just did the 30 day shred, and I normally burn around 397 calories, but this time I only burned 312. I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that half the time I looked down my HRM watch, it was frozen on some ridiculous number like 57 or 32 for a few seconds and then it'd turn to 00. It'd stay at 00 for over 20 seconds, and then finally pick my heartbeat up again.

I wet the band like I normally do, and put it snuggly around my lower chest. It's been working perfectly fine ever since I got it like 2 (maybe 3 weeks) ago. Now, all of sudden, it's not working right. What do I do? Have you ever had this problem before and how did you fix it?

Replies

• cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    I just got mine about a month ago and it has just started cutting out on me also. I'm really upset about it because it's not cheap! I am going to contact Polar for support and see what they say because I am doing the same things I did a month ago but it's cutting out now!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    i have a timex but it does that from time 2 time. what i've started doin is not puttin it directly over the center of my chest. i put it under one breast (or pec for u guys). ever since i've started doin that abt a yr ago i rarely have any issues with it readin my heart rate :smile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Sounds like it's time for a wash! Refer to your owners manual on how to clean it (yes, they need baths just like we do. They get sweaty & icky too)
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Mine did this too within the first two months, I put in a new battery but found it did it to sometimes but what I found is certain sports bra material will set it goofy and so does electronics (like my head phones, elliptical etc;). I fold my band of my sports bra under then put my chest strap on! Best wishes and I agree for the price they should not mess up like that!
  • Briannah
    Briannah Posts: 50
    I was planning to purchase a polar one soon as well... I am so glad you guys have mentioned this... <3 thanks. Hope it works out for you!
  • funkyspunky871
    It shouldn't be the battery! I've not even had it for a month, and in the owner's manual, it says that the battery should last for about 2 years.

I guess maybe I should try washing it. In the trouble shooting section of my manual, it only suggests that it could be the battery, other HRM's nearby, or it's needs to be cleaned or it's not snug enough. Like I said, it shouldn't be the battery already. I definitely don't think there's any other HRM's anywhere in this house! :) And it's just as snug as it been any other time I've used it.

I'll give the cleaning a try. Thanks.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Your not the only one this has happened to.

#1. You need to moisten the sensors on the strap every time you use it.
    #2. Make sure you have the chest strap tight. As people lose weight the strap pulls away from the skin during a workout or slides out of position.

I have had to tighten up mine 5 times over the last year.
    Good luck.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Mine has had the same issue in the 2 weeks that i've had it. I read someone's post about this a few days ago and I tried tightening the strap. I've seen the problem occur MUCH less and I think it's because of movement. It'll disconnect when I'm running or doing planks and stuff for the Shred. I might tighten it even more since it dropped out once today while running, but that was all I noticed. I'll try cleaning it too, my workouts are pretty intense so it might be all icky and sweaty.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,447 Member
    Mine did this too within the first two months, I put in a new battery but found it did it to sometimes but what I found is certain sports bra material will set it goofy and so does electronics (like my head phones, elliptical etc;). I fold my band of my sports bra under then put my chest strap on! Best wishes and I agree for the price they should not mess up like that!

I had similar problems with my polar F6, and I'm with you with the sports bra material "malfunction" I started putting my chest strap on before any top, and I have no more issues! I would get so mad right in the middle of zumba, not cool!
  • funkyspunky871
    Okay, so I didn't have time to wash it before my workout today, so I'm doing it now. But!! I did try tightening the strap even more and it didn't lose my heartbeat at all. Omg... Does that mean I'm losing inches?! :) Thanks everybody for your help.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    . Omg... Does that mean I'm losing inches?! :) Thanks everybody for your help.

Yes it does. :drinker:
    Congrats.:flowerforyou: Isn't that a great feeling.
    In time when it goes to 00 again
    Smile away as you tighten up the strap again.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    i have a timex but it does that from time 2 time. what i've started doin is not puttin it directly over the center of my chest. i put it under one breast (or pec for u guys). ever since i've started doin that abt a yr ago i rarely have any issues with it readin my heart rate :smile:

Now that is an interesting solution!! I've experimented with my chest strap under my breasts and over and it still cuts out sometimes (yesterday was particularly bad - the woman on the treadmill next to me must have thought I was crazy - I probably appeared to be constantly adjusting my bra!) I might try the under one side trick today and see what happens!
  • dharmachic
    dharmachic Posts: 21
    Hi, I recently had this problem with my Polar F11, and I found this great resource (link below with pictures). Item #3 (cleaning the contact metal points that clip the strap to the plastic battery compartment) was what finally solved my problem, as the other suggestions above didn't solve my particular problem.

http://completerunning.com/archives/2007/07/12/checklist-for-solving-polar-heart-rate-monitor-transmission-problems/

Also, regarding how tight the chest strap should be to ensure proper functioning, this may be helpful to some people: "The most common error in the wearing of the monitor is not having the elastic strap that holds the transmitter on tight enough. Most people think it is tight enough if it is just snug and keeps the transmitter from sliding down. This is not true. The transmitter must be tight enough to make a firm electrical contact with the skin. Generally this will require 6 to 8 inches of the stretch in the elastic. If it is tight enough it will feel uncomfortable at first but after about 5 minutes you will feel no discomfort. If the transmitter is not worn tight enough the most common symptom is erratic heart rate readings that jump from low numbers to high numbers randomly. The monitor may also stay on a very high number, or read 0 or freeze on any number." (http://www.polarservicecenter.com/Frame-Troubleshooting.htm)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Also..don't assume that the battery is new when you receive it. When I purchased my Polar F6 HRM, it was dead in the box! Polar made good on it, though...

You just never know how long the products have been sitting in a warehouse or on a store shelf.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    :wink: :drinker: My Polar F6 started doing that to me a few weeks ago - all I needed to do was tighten up the strap & its working fine! Had to do it again yesterday! So YES we are losing inches! :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile: :drinker: :happy: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Glad I read this post. I just ordered a Polar Ft4 - my boss has had one for years with no problems. If mine would start cutting out I'd have had a stroke, because I've already returned another HRM (other brand) for not reading well. Lots of good troubleshooting tips in here, thanks everyone :)
  • dharmachic
    dharmachic Posts: 21
    Good point. Some Polar models have user-replaceable batteries, like the F11. You can replace the chest strap battery (CR 2025) which you can find at Walmart, CVS, RiteAid, etc (cost me $4.80 for 2pk at Walmart). If you're worried about voiding warranty though, you should have it replaced by a Polar authorized repair shop. Mine is past warranty anyway, so I'm going to try replacing both my watch and chest strap batteries soon.
This discussion has been closed.