Feeling Faint?

Options
2»

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar is the first thing that popped into my head.
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    That's exactly how I am when my sinuses are going crazy. Going from laying down to standing up too quickly triggers a vasovagal response. You know, that feeling you get when you stand up too fast? Mine gets bad when my sinuses are swollen. But then it never goes away either until much later in the day.

This is something to consider as well. The weather has been crazy - below zero with blizzard conditions on Tuesday and 60 degrees today - and it's screwing up my sinuses. However, I think the dehydration someone else mentioned might be playing a part, too. I'm pretty good about drinking a lot of water, but my water bottles all need to be cleaned right now so I haven't been chugging as much lately. I should probably clean those...

Drinking lots of water is important for helping clear out the sinuses too...so definitely keep up on that. Meanwhile, try treating your sinuses and see if it makes a difference. And remember to get up slowly in the morning.

If it *is* sinuses...are you doing yoga? I find that I absolutely can NOT do yoga on bad sinus days. The dizziness and vertigo just get too strong and overwhelming and it actually makes me vomit and faint.

I don't do yoga. I've tried it multiple times with many different instructors and tapes, but I just can't get into it. I'm more a weight training and dance cardio kind of person, but between work and school I've had a hard time fitting it in lately. I've also been dealing with depression after my dad's passing in December, which has lead to a lot of immobility. I started therapy a few weeks ago, which initiated my return to MFP and eating better, and I'm finally starting to feel like myself again. I can't wait to get back to the gym, which I'm hoping will be sometime after next week when I finish the 3 page list of assignments/projects I'm behind on.
  • kariannmbc
    kariannmbc Posts: 144
    Options
    If I don't drink enough water, I get dizzy very easily. I've found that by downing 4 cups of water as soon as I wake up, that helps keep me hydrated. I find the dizziness can be exasperated if I eat a lot of carbs (breads and pasta mostly) and don't have extra water. Most days I average 12 cups.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Reposting what I said, as I had the same symptoms as you but I think you missed it:

I had the same problem for a couple of days. It was when I was underrating - going to bed on a really empty stomach without enough fluids. I woke up so faint, couldn't eat because I felt so sick, and almost fainted at work.

Make sure you are eating enough. I had been on 1200 for 6 weeks and not seen much change in weight, now I have increased my intake (been exercising a lot so super hungry) and my weight has suddenly started dropping!

I think 1200 is really ridiculous unless you have a lot of weight to lose.
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    Reposting what I said, as I had the same symptoms as you but I think you missed it:

I had the same problem for a couple of days. It was when I was underrating - going to bed on a really empty stomach without enough fluids. I woke up so faint, couldn't eat because I felt so sick, and almost fainted at work.

Make sure you are eating enough. I had been on 1200 for 6 weeks and not seen much change in weight, now I have increased my intake (been exercising a lot so super hungry) and my weight has suddenly started dropping!

I think 1200 is really ridiculous unless you have a lot of weight to lose.

Sorry, I did this miss this actually. I am thinking about upping my calories between 1400 - 1500, especially on the days I work. I've been drinking water since I posted this topic since the dehydration possibility was brought to my attention, so I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow with more fluids in me again and go from there :)
  • healthykae
    healthykae Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem. I saw a cardiologist etc. thinking that something was really wrong but today I learned that I just need to take things a little more slowly!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Your diary's empty, so based on that alone, it looks like you haven't eaten in the past 5 days (that I clicked on, anyway). I can't get an accurate picture...soooo...can't help ya. I'd say, go see a doctor. It seems like you are physically ill based on your OP. (Oh, and I didn't really read the subsequent replies, so, yeah, someone probably already said this.)
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Just for grins, I'd get a carbon monoxide detector. Seriously!
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Water and iron!!!
  • healthykae
    healthykae Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Water and iron!!!

Great advice, but careful with iron - I ate too many gummi vitamins once and I had to go to the hospital! It's no joke!
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I was in nursing school for two years and it sounds like you might be hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) like me.

First, you need to drink more water. I'm talking like 20 cups a day. I drink 2 gallons some days.

Second, if you aren't taking a women's daily multivitamin, add that into your diet.

Third, you need to eat more to see if this helps. Your body may need more calories.

Next, you should go to CVS and buy a glucometer so that you can test your blood sugar when you are having these symptoms. If you are testing below 70, that is considered low blood sugar and you should eat something quickly. Keep bottles of fruit juice with you at all times. Every night I have a sleeve of saltines and a bottle of juice next to my bed in case I wake up and my blood sugar has dropped. I have REACTIVE hypoglycemia so my low blood sugar isn't caused from fasting/going long periods without eating, it's actually a result of eating. What you are describing sounds more like fasting hypoglycemia. Especially since it is happening in the morning. Before you even get out of bed in the morning, drink the bottle/can of juice. Wait 10 minutes then get up.

I see you work very long shifts. But please do not go more than 3/4 hours without eating. I usually have to eat every 2 hours in order to keep my blood sugar up.

Are you experiencing any other symptoms?

So try what I recommended and if your symptoms don't clear up, call your doctor to schedule an appointment. I'm sure they'll request having blood work done to see if something else is going on… like anemia.
  • mustfirstregister
    Options
    I had this feeling before but I was so oblivious I didn't realize and didn't address it.
    Today morning I had the same feeling and reading some of the replies I think it makes sense why I'm feeling this way. I'm 35 male.

Yesterday night I had my usual healthy dinner (Rice, cylandro, two skinless thighs) at 6PM. Then 2-3 hours after my dinner I went hungry and I had like 3 bananas, 2 apples, 1 small chocolate bar, a few pieces of dried squid, 1 starbucks frappuccino bottle, 4 egg cookies (Korean), 1 small carton soya drink (Korean). These are all the junk food I remember I ate from 8pm-12am. I usually don't eat like this but yesterday was a lazy day for me and I regret it. Because today in the morning I felt so nauseous and about to throw up.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling faint and dizzy, please stop asking health advice from people on the internet and go see a doctor!

Seriously. I don't want to sound mean or uncaring. But the internet is a great place to get support and caring, but a terrible place to get actual health advice. Please take care of yourself and, at the very least, rule out anything serious!