I eat far too much sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    unless you have diabetes or another medical issue which would force you to track and cut back/out sugar, you really don't need to bother.

track your carbs -- which sugar falls into -- and try to keep those in line. otherwise, other than the high-cal nature of sugars, no need to worry. and, for the most part, sugar is sugar, be it from chocolate or carrots.

what's the cause of Type 2 diabetes again?

I was diagnosed in 2009 with full blown Type 2 Diabetes (A1C was 10.0) @ 560 lbs. (yes super morbidly obese with a BMI of 74) fast forward to today @ 250 lbs. and A1c are 5.3 and through 300+ pounds of weightloss I have never measure a single gram of sugar... I have watched my calorie intake and my 3 main macro's Carbs first, then Proteins, and fats......
  • Loulousq
    Loulousq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think thats tons of sugar! I read Jorge Cruise's Belly Fat Cure and he states that too much sugar is bad and increases your insulin which makes more fat. Fruits are def better than candy and sweets but I've been trying to find fruits that have less sugar like blueberries and raspberries. When choosing foods, i keep an eye on sugar, fat, then calories.

http://www.jorgecruise.com/lose-11-lbs/

Yesterday I had 40g of sugar and that's way too much more than i want to eat :(
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar from fruit.

This^...

...except you can stop four words into that sentence.

Are you getting your protein minimum? Are you getting your fat minimum? If yes to both, then the rest will necessarily be carbohydrates. It matters very little what form the carbohydrates are. (IMHO, of course.)

yeah super not correct... refined sugars are awful and are the leading cause of type 2 diabetes

sugars from fruit are fine (but if you're eating enough fruit to get 119g of sugar you should probably cut a couple pieces out)

refined sugars should be avoided at all costs.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    unless you have diabetes or another medical issue which would force you to track and cut back/out sugar, you really don't need to bother.

track your carbs -- which sugar falls into -- and try to keep those in line. otherwise, other than the high-cal nature of sugars, no need to worry. and, for the most part, sugar is sugar, be it from chocolate or carrots.

I was diagnosed in 2009 with full blown Type 2 Diabetes (A1C was 10.0) @ 560 lbs. (yes super morbidly obese with a BMI of 74) fast forward to today @ 250 lbs. and A1c are 5.3 and through 300+ pounds of weightloss I have never measure a single gram of sugar... I have watched my calorie intake and my 3 main macro's Carbs first, then Proteins, and fats......

that's awesome for you - but you're one person, and you're not the norm.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Yeah I am a special snowflake..... You have your opinion and I have mine we can leave it at that......
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yeah I am a special snowflake..... You have your opinion and I have mine we can leave it at that......

that's not what i mean. just because you didn't pay attention to sugar, doesn't mean you weren't taking in a normal amount. or were you suggesting you ate more refined sugars than recommended?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

This^...

Are you getting your protein minimum? Are you getting your fat minimum? If yes to both, then the rest will necessarily be carbohydrates. It matters very little what form the carbohydrates are. (IMHO, of course.)

yeah super not correct... refined sugars are awful and are the leading cause of type 2 diabetes

sugars from fruit are fine (but if you're eating enough fruit to get 119g of sugar you should probably cut a couple pieces out)

Fructose...sucrose...glucose... My body isn't really smart enough to know the ultimate source of each when I ingest them. I guess yours is. So yeah, you should probably avoid "refined" sugars at all costs. I'll continue to eat them but also keeping my total calories in check. (I've avoided "refined" sugars in the past because they're easy to, and tend to be "triggering" for me to, overeat.)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

This^...

Fructose...sucrose...glucose... My body isn't really smart enough to know the ultimate source of each when I ingest them. I guess yours is. So yeah, you should probably avoid "refined" sugars at all costs. I'll continue to eat them but also keeping my total calories in check. (I've avoided "refined" sugars in the past because they're easy to, and tend to be "triggering" for me to, overeat.)

you sound like the corn syrup commercials.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't usually worry about the sugar from fruits, but I have noticed that the berry fruits tend to have less sugar while oranges, canteloupe, pineapple tend to have more sugar. Maybe look at the fruits you like the most and figure out which ones have the most sugar and limit those.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

This^...

you sound like the corn syrup commercials.

haven't seen em ... but sounds like they're right.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Watch Sugar: The bitter truth by Robert Listig on YouTube or read his book.

Fructose does not metabolise in the same way glucose does. Personally if you want to lose weight then you do need to limit your fruit intake, especially because you need to be insulin sensitive to be able to do so.

You'll find many threads regarding whether sugar is sugar. You'd be best researching it outside of mfp.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

that's not what i mean. just because you didn't pay attention to sugar, doesn't mean you weren't taking in a normal amount. or were you suggesting you ate more refined sugars than recommended?

You just stated you watched your carb intake. Carbohydrates = sugar. You limited your sugar intake therefore
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It depends on the source of the sugar. You really should eat no more than 2 servings of fruit per day in my opinion.

It is also better to stagger that throughout the day rather than eating a whole serving in one go.

My sugar is almost always over the MFP macros. Even when I have a day off and total blow out including copious amounts of booze my sugar doesn't really go over 70. If yours is higher than that you need to analyse seriously what you are eating.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Fruits are good, fruits are healthy, sugar from fruits should not be a great concern.

BUT...
    Limit yourself to 2 fruits a day and try to make one a choice of fruit with lower sugar intake; also eat them between meals and as early in the day as you can. I have heard this from many experts in nutrition and from personal experience I truly believe this. Try to eat more veggies instead. Carrots are also an easy snack. Celery sticks the same. A low fat yogurt is also an alternative.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I lack sweet tooth and i dont use sugar/artificial sweeteners for my beverages for ages yet i eat /lots/ of fruits and exceed by far my sugar intake daily, usualy hang around 70/day (and my vit.c is THRO DA ROOF M8 ) .
    i stoped tracking sugar obsessively and, i dont worry.

Fruits didnt stop my weight loss, and my blood results come back shining everytime

The very idea of replacing an apple or bannana with chocolate gives me serious headache.

History of diabetes in familly btw, mostly obesity related afaik.
    I am succesfully dodging the bullet eating tons of fruits as of now and monitoring my health regularly.

Might I be special precious snowflake?
    Or maybe fruits are somewhat healthy and will not kill you?