Which is better?

Options
I could do a google search, but I'd rather have the options of real people on a message board than a blog of answers. In your honest opinion, which do you think is better: the treadmill or the elliptical?

Replies

• jennacollette
    Options
    elliptical is a great machine ! When I first started out with my fitness, I was doing the elliptical for 30 mins and then the bike for 30 mins then weights. But to answer your question, the tredmill is better to lose fat quickly and more efficiently. It is hard to get started with running but I would suggest starting with 5 mins depending on how fit you are and go up when you feel comfortable, you will get great results !
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you will actually use. To start running, go to the Couch to 5K program online to get you up to speed slowly so you don't injure yourself. To me, the elliptical is better - I have previous knee and back injuries and really can't run.

They are both fine for cardio.

Do some weight training too.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I get knee pain from the elliptical, not the treadmill. Do a 1 month free trial at a gym and try both for a week...
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill. I know a gal who lost 130lbs using the elliptical.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Running outside
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    The elliptical is going to be better for someone who has ankle and knee problems, because there isn't as much force when you land. But that's pretty much the only benefit I can think of. There really isn't a "better." It's all preference.
  • timeforme_2013
    timeforme_2013 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Elliptical
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is myBFF! I burn way more calories in less time than on the treadmill! Use which ever you feel more comfortable on. I usually do 30mins to an hour on the elliptical. Sometimes, to change it up I will do the treadmill on an uphill/fast pace but I get super bored on it!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Optimally I would say mixing it up and using both from one day to the next... I use a treadmill + strength training mostly and have managed to lose about 122 lbs. I like to put it on a sizeable incline. It seems to do well.
  • dianebpotter
    Options
    I personally like the treadmill better due to my knees. My daughter likes the elliptical . I think the elliptical gives you better calorie burn in my opinion but either one is good if you use them .
  • sasicek
    sasicek Posts: 11
    Options
    Not sure which one is better, but I love both equally. Elliptical will work out your arms, treadmill less so. It's safer to "run backwards" on the elliptical than on the treadmill - at least for me. I know the treadmill steps are counted on my fitbit, whereas on the elliptical they are not. My feet also tend to go numb on the elliptical, since they do not move. I hate running outside, mostly because I am no shape to do so and don't want to be super self conscious. I am hoping to eventually only run outside, but for now - treadmill and elliptical are it :-)