How to reduce/combat salt intake?

Options
I have noticed lately that my scale fluctuates a lot on a day-to-day basis. I know that the reasoning could be anything from hormones to water intake, to salt intake. But I have noticed that I have a lot of sodium on a day-to-day basis, too. I read that it is recommended to have 2,000 milligrams of salt per day, or less. I have been consuming an average of 3,000 per day in the last week, at some cases, up to 3,500 milligrams. But the foods that I consume have been really healthy, and I have tried to stay away from too much pre-packaged stuff, besides turkey breast meat, cheeses and bread.

I also have a problem with drinking enough water each day, but I am trying to get better.

How do you guys suggest I work to reduce my sodium intake without cutting out the one or so serving of meats, breads, or cheese I have about every other day? Would consuming more water balance this intake of sodium?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and consume more water. But I see no reason to reduce sodium intake just for the sake of trying to control water weight fluctuations.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    and increase potassium intake.
  • Tachyonic
    Tachyonic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's not just water weight fluctuations. I know that a lot of sodium in a diet is bad. My dad's doctor said he has to watch his sodium because he used to put salt on everything. I want to try to stay within the healthy limit of sodium intake if I can, but I am finding it really hard to do so, even as I am trying to reduce pre-packaged foods and eat less processed food.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I have noticed lately that my scale fluctuates a lot on a day-to-day basis. I know that the reasoning could be anything from hormones to water intake, to salt intake. But I have noticed that I have a lot of sodium on a day-to-day basis, too. I read that it is recommended to have 2,000 milligrams of salt per day, or less. I have been consuming an average of 3,000 per day in the last week, at some cases, up to 3,500 milligrams. But the foods that I consume have been really healthy, and I have tried to stay away from too much pre-packaged stuff, besides turkey breast meat, cheeses and bread.

I also have a problem with drinking enough water each day, but I am trying to get better.

How do you guys suggest I work to reduce my sodium intake without cutting out the one or so serving of meats, breads, or cheese I have about every other day? Would consuming more water balance this intake of sodium?

3,500 isn't dangerously high if it happens every once and a while. as long as you drink your water you'll be fine.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    just looked at your diary.

3500 is way high for only 1200 calories. and almost everything you eat is processed, which is where your salt is coming from... you may want to consider cooking your own meats and eating more fruit and veggies...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    just looked at your diary.

3500 is way high for only 1200 calories. and almost everything you eat is processed, which is where your salt is coming from... you may want to consider cooking your own meats and eating more fruit and veggies...

I agree with this. I used to have really high salt before I started preparing my meals with fresh meats and veggies. With some good recipes, you can have the same foods as before, probably even tasting better than before, and less salt.

But I also agree that you could just drink more water and up your potassium as well. :flowerforyou:
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging food and tracking salt, I was horrified at how much I wa getting from some of my staple foods (V8 and tuna pouches). Both were too salty anyhow, so I changed to low-sodium version I like. I also prepare more meals using whole foods now, and to get over the lack of salt I switched to Nu-Salt (potassium chloride). I've since run out of the little shaker and have not replaced it.
    Another alterntive is salt-free seasonings. I don't realy like the grocery store versions, so I've been using Penzey's salt-free blends. I started buying from them in the late 90's - great products that are well priced. Here's a link to them: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/c-Salt_Free.htm
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The proper amount is 2500 mg per day. You only need to stay under 2000 mg a day if you have heart disease or diabetes. The turkey & cheese that you're eating is the bulk of your sodium intake and I think I saw condiments on just one day. I only went back a few days in your diary. Start reading labels & ask for low sodium at the deli. It's just a matter of taking the time to educate yourself.

As far as the water, you should be drinking at least 8-10 cups a day of clear liquid. If you find this difficult, try lemon or diet powders such as diet snapple or crystal light singles to go. And even in a pinch, sodium free instant chicken broth. Try to drink 2 glasses of water with every meal, 1-2 glasses before your workout & keep drinking during & after your workout.
  • Jennnifit
    Jennnifit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Definitely try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as possible, prepare more fresh foods naturally low in sodium more often and do not add salt. Do these things, especially on a 1200 calorie diet. Push more water in addition to this and you'll see less fluctuations and a faster drop in weight. Good luck! :smile:
  • Tachyonic
    Tachyonic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do eat lots of fruits and veggies. Most of my snacks are kiwis, mangoes, oranges, or carrots. I try to cook my own tortillas sometimes and have been trying to incorporate more cooking into my meals, but I'm a college student on a really tight budget & pretty busy, so I'm unable to cook all of my meals from 100% fresh ingredients. I also don't eat beef often (not a huge fan of it), so I tend to stick to chicken or turkey. I try to buy fresh chicken when I can, but it's cheaper for me on average to buy frozen meats, unless I'm planning a special occasion to use the grill. :/
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Learn to use other seasonings and eat less processed foods. I had to learn to change my whole outlook when my old man got high blood pressure. They dropped him down to a 1000mg a day diet. Talk about insane! I eat lower sodium because it's the only way to keep his lower but I still have trouble with it.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    A good way to lower your sodium is to look at the labels when you go the grocery store. Compare two brands of the same product and choose the one with less sodium. Some foods will say no sodium added. I was told to have twice as much potassium as I have sodium because you should have a balance of the two but never more sodium than potassium. I eat a lot of strawberries and that helps me reach that goal. As far as water, try having a glass before and after each meal. Buy an aluminum water bottle or any water bottle. Mine is about 26 ounces so I know that I need to at least drink 3 full bottles of it each day. If you eat a lot of veggies this will help also.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I do eat lots of fruits and veggies. Most of my snacks are kiwis, mangoes, oranges, or carrots. I try to cook my own tortillas sometimes and have been trying to incorporate more cooking into my meals, but I'm a college student on a really tight budget & pretty busy, so I'm unable to cook all of my meals from 100% fresh ingredients. I also don't eat beef often (not a huge fan of it), so I tend to stick to chicken or turkey. I try to buy fresh chicken when I can, but it's cheaper for me on average to buy frozen meats, unless I'm planning a special occasion to use the grill. :/

frozen's fine, but make sure it's not already seasoned/marinated/etc, as it's sure to have more sodium.

also... when we say veggies... we mean the grean leafy kinds. ;) carrots are great, but the green ones are where you get the most bang for your buck nutrient-wise.

lastly, in looking at your diary, your snacks tend to be cookies and soda, your lunches tend to be pre-packaged lunch meats, processed cheese products, canned soups, etc, etc. Unfortunately you'll have to decide what's more important to you - eating what's convenient (in which case you'll be taking in a lot of sodium) or taking some time and putting forth the effort to make healthier, less processed choices)

you can totally do it if you put your mind to it!!