cheat day?

Options
does anybody on here ever take a cheat day? I have been doing this for the last 2 weeks and doing great. I want to have some cocktails tomorrow so I know that's going to put me over my calories. Then I started thinking maybe I should just take the whole day off! Then I started thinking I was just making excuses. I don't want one day of overeatig/drinking to undo all my hard work. any input?

Replies

• petitegreek
    petitegreek Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You should allow yourself a cheat day. Otherwise you'll go insane. When I have a cheat day, I eat healthy for most of the day and just splurge if I go out to dinner and get wine or a cocktail... or some kind of dessert.
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    I have still been able to eat sweets just about everyday. I just fit it in my calories. I did'nt know if it was a bad move to say, eat alot?
  • bluemoon551
    bluemoon551 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'll eat under my goal a little bit each day, and then eat back all of my extra calories at the end of the week.
  • imperfect188
    Options
    Saturdays are my cheat days. I don't overdo it and eat crap for the entire day but I eat things that I crave that I don't have time to make during the week. I was craving lasagna last week so on my cheat day I made lasagna with layers of veggies (instead of noodles) with lowfat cheese. Although I have a cheat day I still make the conscious effort to make my dishes 'healthier'. I also work out twice as hard so I don't feel too guilty about it.
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    I have been on MFP for 2 months now and I do allow myself "cheats" but because I count my calories I can do extra exercise for the next few days to cover the extra calories...so I guess it really isn't cheating :-)
  • shellgirl144
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. Whenever I want something, I just fit it into my calorie goal for the day.
  • jennacollette
    Options
    I would cheat every 2 weeks or if you really have to, every week. Building up your will power is important ! If you cut alcohol out for a while you'll start seeing a lot of results, you'll actually be surprised. It is also important to treat yourself as well, portion control is key ! Really anything is ok in moderation.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Cheat in moderation, like everything else. Don't take a 'cheat day' as an excuse to binge eat all day-- that's going to set you back. If you want to enjoy your cocktails and not worry about counting calories, go for it. But don't use that as an excuse to also eat greasy bar food, or to go home and eat ice cream, or to eat trash for the rest of the day leading up to it or the day after to nurse your hangover. Just try not to go overboard. For me, I allow myself to go over on calories about once a week, sometimes twice. But I have only had one day in the past month where I have wanted to just sit and stuff my face. The rest of the time, even when I'm 'cheating', I'm mindful of just how much I'm eating.

Also, if you do want to have a day where you just pig out, try to balance it out by doing a good hard workout the day before and the day after. The problem with cheating is that if you let yourself go for an entire day, it's that much harder to get back on track the next. If you allow yourself little treats here and there and aren't too restrictive with your day-to-day food intake, you'll feel less desire to binge. Best of luck to you!
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    One day will not undo everything. Eat sensibly, exercise if you can and then enjoy cocktails! Not point in living if you can't feel alive.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 1 cheat meal, not a cheat day. I'm affraid a cheat day will land me back to my old ways. So, usually it's my Friday night out to eat meal with my family. All other meals at home or eating out are healthy choices.

1 day or 1 meal will not ruin your week. It will just slow how fast you lose that lb! You have to decide how bad you want it. I'm comfortable with 1 meal a week instead of 1 day!
  • inshapeeasy
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a cheat day, every "once" in a while. just dont make it a habit that you cant break. The number one goal is to stay healthy
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I log everything carefully 6 days a week... I work out hard 6 days a week... and on the 7th day I relax. That's my rest day from exercise. I counted my calories on my first couple of free days, so now I just log "Free Day" with that calorie total and click "DONE" for the day. So it's a mental break too - a break from all the careful logging.

My first few free days were total gluttony but I found that I felt like crap, so these days I moderate myself fairly well. But if I want something, I just have it. No guilt.

Then I make the next day a particularly good day - a hard workout and well under my calorie goal to get back on track.

Works for me!
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do the same as ^^^^^^

I do not have "cheat" days I have "free" days - where I do not track. I do not go crazy "overeating" but I do save that day for a glass of wine or 5 :drinker: but I feel like if we don't allow ourselves a time to splurge then we will feel deprived and fall off the wagon. MY free day is Sunday after my weigh in and then I am back to tracking on Monday! :bigsmile:
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    This probably depends on the person. Me personally, if I allow myself "cheat days" it turns into a "cheat week"... which is all sorts of bad news. Some people do their best at staying on track by allowing cheat days. I personally limit those over indulgent days to holidays or special occasions but do try to include a "cheat meal," normally once every two weeks when I have a family dinner that is not at healthy or for holidays, etc. That being said, I do eat more on the weekends because my days arent as structured, so I have maybe 100-200 calories more by mindless snacking, but I still work out. But you have to decide what will work for you and your lifestyle. This is just what works for me :)
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 1 cheat meal, not a cheat day. I'm affraid a cheat day will land me back to my old ways. So, usually it's my Friday night out to eat meal with my family. All other meals at home or eating out are healthy choices.

1 day or 1 meal will not ruin your week. It will just slow how fast you lose that lb! You have to decide how bad you want it. I'm comfortable with 1 meal a week instead of 1 day!

This has worked well for me in the past - the "cheat days" ended up completely derailing me. However, I think I like the idea of "free meal" better - I get sucked into the whole guilt/shame stuff over eating way too easily, which is probably what actually derails me more than taking a day off.
  • hunnykinsgirl20
    hunnykinsgirl20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cheat most of the week, in moderation of course, I am human, not a program robot XD.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i dont do cheat days.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I do!!! Once every 2 weeks i have a total cheat day! Last sunday i ate brownies, ice cream, tacos...junky food all day...then back on the wagon! I have 1 cheat meal every week, just not as crazy as the one every 2 weeks..works for me!!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If your eating sweets and stuff everyday then i dont think cheat days are really needed, but thats just my opinion. However, if you want to take the day off tomorrow, then do it! You can also pre add the cocktails so your not sooo far over... But good job with sticking with MFP so far!
  • aprilmcd920
    aprilmcd920 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week and I will lose 2-4lbs each week still. The point of a cheat day is to allow for some indulgence but not stuff your face. This day helps me stay focused for my week.