Low cal/carb protein shake help

Options
Hi!
I recently bought a french vanilla protein powder (with less than 1gram of sugar per scoop) and it's really not tasty with just water. I'm lactose intolerant so I cant have it with milk.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can mix in to make it taste better and not add a bunch of calories?
I tried fruit but since I use water instead of milk, it just tasted like watered down gross juice.

Replies

• LisasRoadtolosing100lbs
    Options
    I use greek yogurt. But try soy of almond milk.
  • mikepasztor
    Options
    Try an alternative to milk, such as almond milk, etc.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    try using less water when you mix/blend it. it can improve the taste if it seems watery. also there is a huge difference in taste between brands. people put peanut butter in them but thats not going to help it stay low cal.
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Almond milk or use it as a smoothie w/ water, ice and fruit , the other day i used 1 tb peanut butter & chocolate protein( 100 cal) and it was amazing total cal 185
  • rachf2013
    rachf2013 Posts: 69
    Options
    I will have to try it with almond milk. I looked up some recipes and it seems no one likes the vanilla (because it overpowers any fruit it is blended with). Next time I will go for the chocolate!
  • mooglequeen
    Options
    PB2 is great!
    Sugar free chocolate syrup
    instant coffee &
    torani or davinci sugar free syrups (they have TONS of flavors) usually by coffee or find on amazon

Feel free to message/add me & I'll share some of my favorites.

Also check out http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-favorite-protein-shake-recipes.html
  • johnhubbs
    johnhubbs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Almond Breeze 1 cup 40 cals. Costco sells cases of six cartons
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    almond milk
  • SportsMom50
    Options
    Try Tropicana 50 it will taste like a dreamsicle. :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Crystal light, tastes pretty good with just vanilla protein powder, especially orange flavored. Apple juice, with a little cinnamon is pretty good, too. I like it best with frozen fruit,(especially bananas), and a half cup of milk.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    cold coffee. Be careful with hot coffee - some brands contain egg protein and you'll end up with a cup of scrambled egg vanilla coffee. ick.
  • yvnursechick
    yvnursechick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    with coffee hot or over ice.. Makes an ok lattle
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I use V8, V8 splash or V8 fusion sometimes.
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I use a mix of low fat Greek Yogurt and Almond milk (unsweetened) vanilla flavored.I adjust the amount, depending on how long I've exercised . You know, to make sure I don't go over my calories, sugar ect... Also if you looking to keep it more natural you can buy the unflavored and add an extract ,vanilla, or whatever you like.If you also add a cup of mixed berries , you'll have a pretty nutritious shake. You may also find that , depending on your protein needs, that the yogurt and milk may be all you need as far as a source of protein for that snack or meal. It's just my opinion , but I get my nutrients from food. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • jennacollette
    Options
    I usually use chobani greek yogurt (greek yogurt is the best yogurt) or almond milk is great ! Both are good for a base. You can use peanut butter, great source of protein and stops the sweet tooth most of the time. Also, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, I also love to add flax seeds too ! If you'd like, you should go to a local GNC and ask someone about the right protein powder for your goals and body, (low fat and low carb). Sometimes I even add in some avocado and vanilla extract or cocoa powder. Here are some recipes ... hope I helped !

Vanilla-cado shake

1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
    1/2 avocado
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Chocolate peanut butter and banana shake

1 cup greek yogurt or almond milk
    2 tbsp peanut butter of choice
    1 frozen banana (broken apart for blender)
    1 or 2 tbsp cocoa powder

You can also try this awesome and extremely easy banana peanut butter ice cream: Just use 2 frozen bananas broken up in chunks and 2 tbsp peanut butter of choice and just blend ! keep in mind that when making your shakes and such, do not blend fast, use the lowest power because it will all turn warm.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Fat free lactaid milk. And done.
  • Mischieviousme777
    Mischieviousme777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I will have to try it with almond milk. I looked up some recipes and it seems no one likes the vanilla (because it overpowers any fruit it is blended with). Next time I will go for the chocolate!

Dark chocolate almond milk + dole's frozen sliced strawberry/banana combo + 1/2 c greek yogurt (plain) = a super decadent banana-split flavored smoothie/shake. and it was only about 250 cals.. fills you up like a meal.
  • danfol1
    danfol1 Posts: 1
    Options
    How about vanilla almond milk?
  • Mischieviousme777
    Mischieviousme777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Dark chocolate almond milk + dole's frozen sliced strawberry/banana combo + 1/2 c greek yogurt (plain) = a super decadent banana-split flavored smoothie/shake. and it was only about 250 cals.. fills you up like a meal.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    If I really need to save on calories with my protein shake (sunwarrior chocolate) I will mix it with 3 parts water 1 part almond / hemp / or soy milk depending on my macros and what I need to cover with the shake. Even just that little splash of creamy can make the whole drink that much more enjoyable. Sunwarrior is made with Stevia rather than other added sugars, so if I don't add a little splash of whiteness to it I start to take too much notice to the stevia flavor. I am considering adding a little cinnamon, or almond butter.

There are always original / vanilla / and vanilla unsweetened versions of almond milk, experiment!