Males who started with a belly/gut

Options
As you lost weight, did you lose the gut? My fiance has a nice size belly and he is weary about becoming serious about losing weight because of it. He doesn't think he will lose the belly because "it's rock hard" I tried to tell him it's not muscle and that yes he would lose it if he wants to. He honestly feels like no matter how much weight he loses, the belly will stay =/

And yes, I know that I can't and shouldn't try to make him, but there is nothing wrong with positively encouraging!

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    bump

I've seen men on here in the Success Stories section of the forum post photos of their success in losing that hard gut.

Maybe show him threads you find from that area of the Message Board - perhaps if he sees that, he will believe that he can accomplish losing his gut. It can also give him the motivation he may need to actually create goals to achieve what he wants.. I'm sure deep down, he doesn't want a gut.
  • txs78746
    txs78746 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have one of those guts. Actually it was hidden under even more fat until recently. I have dropped about 20 pounds, which the scale machine says is a little more then 3% body fat. The fat seems to be going down everywhere in equal amounts. My ring is loose, collars to shirts fit better and I've been able to move my belt a notch in the right direction. I used to have a jiggly flab covering my gut but that is on its way out. The "hard" gut of deep fat remains but is a tad smaller. Unfortunately as my belly was pronounced it is still rather obvious. The tape measure says its getting smaller but I fear that because it was the largest fat deposit it will be the last to hang on.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    He thinks it is rock hard, but it is often bloating occurring beneath the abdominal muscles. While there is no way to 'spot reduce", his belly will disappear as he loses weight.

Hope that helps!
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If it sticks out its a gut. It is fat, it will go from hard/bloat to soft wobbly to hopefully gone. The gut is often the last thing to go though it will shrink as everything else does. How it happens varies from person to person. For many as the weight loss reaches the end point, the gut shrinks more quickly as it is the last place that holds fat on most guys.

For me.

Highest provable weight was 308. Highest dress pants 54" at belly button. (weight unknown) Current Belly Button 34.75 at 180 pounds. Actual waist is 32".
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I hear it's different for everyone. I came down from 365 at my highest to 228ish now. It got ALOT smaller but I still have a kind of soft pooch. From the looks of I think even with losing more weight it will just shrink. It kind of sucks but hopefully women won't care too much. Seeing all the ab fangirls really doesn't give me much hope though.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes..was to large... But it is going down... I am up to 200 crunches... And started cardio.....slowly it is going away... This site offers a lot of momentum for my loss though....if he will dedicate himself and with help from you to keep him going I. He could lose it... I haven't had that but I am determined...
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Men tend to have visceral belly fat, meaning that it's under the muscles and surrounds the internal organs. The surface feels hard because the muscles are stretched around it. Visceral fat is particularly dangerous in terms of heart disease, much more so than the fat just under the skin like women usually have. It will flatten out if he loses weight. Tell him to just imagine his internal organs swimming in all that yellow, unhealthy fat. It needs to go!

visceral-fat-279x300.jpg
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I had a typical beer belly and it has now gone. along with my great fat thighs. So yes, losing weight loses beer belly, but as was pointed out, there is not a way to pick & choose which bits shrink first
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I always held most of my weight in my gut. I lost weight just fine.
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    My hubby always puts his weight on his belly. And yes, its hard. I haven't read about visceral fat before (I'm usually more interested womens fatty issues lol) but that makes sense. I can punch him in the stomach and its like a rock (he used to joke that it was all muscle).

As soon as he starts hitting the gym, it shrinks really quickly. My hubby hates cardio (he says he gets his in the bedroom :laugh:), but even he admits that it would dissapear even more quickly if he would do a bit of that too. He had a couple months off working out over the holidays, and has just been back at the gym for about 3 weeks now. His big christmas belly has already halved in size.

Tell your fiance that he'll never know if he doesn't try!!
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It's only been a couple weeks in for me, but this hard gut has gone pretty soft.

March 3, 2013.

20130224_134704_zpsac49a396.jpg

A couple minutes ago

20130309_002224_zps6c92a0d3.jpg
  • chrisjathompson
    Options
    2 weeks wont kill him
  • ndnyl
    ndnyl Posts: 96
    Options
    Solid effort
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Of course.

Alot of what he's talking about is visceral fat (or intra abdominal fat),

Eat at a reasonable deficit.

Strength train.

Surely enough it will go.
  • Talleifer
    Talleifer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I mostly put weight on in my gut. I don't really remember it being hard though. Highest recorded weight for me is 244lbs. I'm now down to about 228 and have gone from a 44" waist to a 40" waist in 2 months. I still have a healthy amount of fat in that gut though. Actually, I'm pretty sure 70% of my body fat is in my gut, maybe 15% my lower back, and the remaining 15% is spread evenly throughout the rest of the body.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    haha thanks for all the info guys much appreciated! I've tried to encourage and push him and I guess I'm finally realizing that it's not gonna happen if he doesn't want it. I mean he DOES want it, but not enough. he will eat the right things and do the workouts if i MAKE him, but that is exhausting and i'm not his mommy. i've lost 19 pounds and 16 inches and went down 3 jeans sizes, so he knows that putting in the work gets the job done and isn't a waste. and he constantly is telling me that i'm going to leave him in a year when i'm in shape and he isn't, which is crazy because i won't LOL.

i haven't introduced this site to him yet. he isn't gona track his calories, i know because i've asked him to. and right now this site is my lifeline, i spend alot of time browsing the success forums EVERY DAY because i'm not giving up this time. all i can do is hope that my attitude inspires him somewhere.

when the weather warms up, i'm starting c25k and hoping i can get him to join me or at least to commit to a whole month of a program. 30DS is what got me going but he's very anti-Jillian lol. but if not, i can't force it

@chrisjathomps awesome job for 2 weeks!!!!!

@drchimpanzee not all women like that cut/ripped abs look, i personally think it's gross lol and hope my fiance NEVER gets cut like that. and hopefully he doesn't expect the same from me cuz that's not my goal! lol
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    3months normal food and lifting

gzDU8rvl.jpg
  • chrisjathompson
    Options
    I bet all it would take is if he tried p90x or insanity. I always see great success stories from those programs. I am going to start insanity at the end of the month, or when I hit 260 lbs, which ever comes first.