spaghetti squash???

Options
bluiz13
bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
we are making spaghetti squash tonight to have under some meat/marinara sauce....
i have always cut it down the middle and baked face down in a pan with a little water...i just googled how to cook spaghetti squash and saw that you can cook it whole too in the oven....

preferences??? suggestions?????comments????
thanks in advance,
denise

ps i have the time to cook whole - they said about an hour and that would be fine with the time we have...

Replies

• IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Despite you having time, I would cook it open. Why? Squash retains heat as bad as pumpkin. And if you try to cut it open later, while hot, you might burn yourself. :explode: :noway: So I figure maybe it's just best to cook it open, plus you'll obvious be done much quicker :happy: Hope that helped a little
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, I LOVE spaghetti squash - ESPECIALLY with marinara! I have not tried to bake one whole but I've cooked it both in the microwave and the oven. Both turn out well. The microwave way is faster though.

What time should I be over for dinner? :wink:
  • catrinav2005
    Options
    I've baked it in the oven whole before, just poke a few holes in it with a fork. Also, I've done it in the crock pot before as well. I'll put it in with a cup of water and let it sit on low for 5 or 6 hours (while I'm working or something) and that works too.

MMMM I love spaghetti squash! ENJOY!
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I always cut it in half and cook it face down on a cookie sheet. My favorite way to prepare it is with sauteed onion, garlic, tomato, and mushrooms. Just saute the veggies in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and toss them in the spaghetti squash with some feta cheese. Soooooo good!
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    All these comments are making me hungry. I was already in the mood for brocol irabe. Now looks like I've got to stop and get some spaghetti squash. I too cook in in half-face down.
  • bluiz13
    Options
    thanks for the comments....
    i will cut it down the middle and bake it that way....
    we are just having spag sauce with some scrambled seasoned hamburger and garlic bread....
    i figure i can splurge on the bread since i'm having veggie instead of pasta :smile:

thanks again...
    denise
  • bluiz13
    Options
    PS
    my husband cut down the middle and microwaved it for a few minutes and then baked it in the oven.....
    it was delicious and i didnt feel guilty having a 2nd serving....i was really full from all the fiber in the squash but it was a good full :)
    denise
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I cooked it face up for an hour, no water. It was my first time and I still liked it. So did my daughter.

Is it less crunchy if you do it face down with water?

That was my daughters only complaint. It was crunchy. Maybe I'll try it a different way next time.....
  • BFit4U
    BFit4U Posts: 7
    Options
    It comes out "crunchy" even when you cook it face down. You kind of have to overcome the word spaghetti so the "crunchy" texture doesn't throw you off when you take a bite. At least that is what I learned after eating it the first time..."wipe all thoughts of noodle texture out of your head...it only LOOKS like spaghetti" :-)
  • mvlaurel
    mvlaurel Posts: 22
    Options
    I just poke it all the way around in a cirlce from stem to bottom. Then I put it in the microwave for five minutes, turn it over, then five minutes more. Yes, it's hot to handle, but cooks just fine!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How exactly do you cook spaghetti squash? I have been meaning to try this but have been afraid of doing something wrong with it
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    What in the world is spaghetti squash? Hmmm.

EDIT: Oh wow. Looked it up. I've never seen that in my entire life. But, I did find this website. Maybe it'll help? It talks about different ways to cook it.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&category_id=224&article=19943
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is AMAZING. I love it with Classico spicy red pepper pasta sauce and a bit of parmesan. It's also fabulous tossed with sauteed seasonal veggies, chopped fresh herbs, a pinch of salt and a tiny bit of olive oil or butter. I always bake it face down, but I'm glad to hear that it can just as easily be cooked in the microwave, because my apartment gets so damned hot when I use the oven (in Texas with no central AC, only window units). :/
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I love it too, I find if you cut it up into pieces then steam it (I use the steamer on the stove top) that it doesn't turn out as crunchy! Its kind of a pain to cut up but for me its worth it!
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to this stuff! I cut it, clean out seeds and cook it at 400 for about 50 minutes until it starts to caramelize and then I fork it and drizzle it with plain flax oil and sprinkle it with cinnamon. Had some tonight, LOVE IT!
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Just made an amazing recipe!!

1) Make the squash how you would like. Baked or microwaved. (more nutrients if baked)
    2) Bake or cook a 3 oz. chicken add pepper, seasonings to taste
    3) Use 1/2 cup per person of margherita pasta sauce from Ragu, tsp of pesto, 1 wedge of laughing cow sun dried tomato and basil cheese, and heat in a skillet for 10 min. on low heat until cheese melts in.
    4) add chicken to sauce
    5) string your squash and add sauce + chicken!

YUUMMMMMMM :D so cheesy and delicious!
  • hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    I've neve tried this before!! Where do you buy the spaghetti squash?
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've neve tried this before!! Where do you buy the spaghetti squash?

Any market by the regular seasonal squashes :)
  • kimmie1013
    kimmie1013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash as long as I put something over it. As far as cooking it I cut in half with some water and I keep cooking it until it is soft like pasta. I have never eaten it crunchy. Before I was watching what I ate I put shrimp scampi in butter garlic sauce. Its to die for but I'm sure its fattening. I will have to figure out what an alternative would be. My sister likes it with butter and cinnamon but of course you could use a butter substitute.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    sounds great, I am saving recipe to try.:smile: