MFP Runner's Club June 16

Options

Replies

• pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    WHAT TO DO?!!?!

Okay, I just got the first welcome email from the coach of the training program I am starting tonight (Running 201 - with goal of finishing the 10K Race on August 30 in respectable time) and I am a little upset because she says that we are only running 2 miles tonight! I would normally be running 5 miles tonight.

I signed up for this because I wanted to run with others that are at the same level as I am and enjoy some comeraderie while running (as much as I love running - I get bored easily!), learn better breathing technique, stride, training skills, etc. She didn't mention any of these things in her email so I am hoping that this will all be incorporated since it is called a "Training program" not social hour with a bunch of geek runners....

Guess I need to chill out and just see what it is like.....sigh.....then come home and run another 3 miles....
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    WHAT TO DO?!!?!

Okay, I just got the first welcome email from the coach of the training program I am starting tonight (Running 201 - with goal of finishing the 10K Race on August 30 in respectable time) and I am a little upset because she says that we are only running 2 miles tonight! I would normally be running 5 miles tonight.

I signed up for this because I wanted to run with others that are at the same level as I am and enjoy some comeraderie while running (as much as I love running - I get bored easily!), learn better breathing technique, stride, training skills, etc. She didn't mention any of these things in her email so I am hoping that this will all be incorporated since it is called a "Training program" not social hour with a bunch of geek runners....

Guess I need to chill out and just see what it is like.....sigh.....then come home and run another 3 miles....

Bummer! Like you said, learn some techniques & incorporate them in your runs.

AND pass on what you learn here! :laugh:
  • kc_lea
    kc_lea Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Woooowwwww!
    I'm so impressed with everyone who can drag there bums out of the house in the mornings to run! Kudos! I miss early mornings. It's been months since I've seen what the world looks at 6 or 7 am, but tomorrow is the day! (The time on this post says 7:50 am but thems be lies! it's already 11 am here)

Tonight I plan on going on a long bike ride (rest my knees from a distance heavy weekend), and tomorrow morning I will greet the morning with a pair or running shoes strapped to my feet. Oy.

Enjoy your runs and rests. Go for the gold!!!

Oh and "run like someone's chasing you" is probably the best thing i've ever heard. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    WHAT TO DO?!!?!

AND pass on what you learn here! :laugh:

runner's promise!!

:drinker: to being better runners!!
  • kc_lea
    Options
    I think a training program is a great idea! It might be a casual run, but it's all about building blocks right? Speed, stride, form, pacing, etc It'll be 'food for thought' at the very least.
    I've looked into training programs before but never signed up. Can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am hoping that it stays cool enough to run this afternoon, otherwise I will go tonight once the kids are in bed. I am starving today and have been eating junk, so I HAVE to run to earn some extra calories!! :laugh: I am doing a 5k on Thursday weather permitting. It is supposed to t-storm that day, so we will just wait and see. I am also doing a 10k on the 1st.

Congrats to everyone on there runs already. I wish I could get out in the mornings to run... but my early riser son isn't on board with that. He actually slept till 6 this morning, I was starting to worry :laugh: he is ussually up at 4:45. :noway:
  • kc_lea
    Options
    Well, I did it! Saturday I finished week 5 of Couch to 5K. That meant 20 minutes straight of jogging. The first 5 minutes were the hardest, after that I fell into a rythym and just kept going! I almost cried tears of joy! :happy:
    Then I worked in the garden, sunburned my back, and don't feel so good today:grumble:

Oh yeah, don't forget my marching band of dancing bananas!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Congratssssss!
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I am hoping that it stays cool enough to run this afternoon, otherwise I will go tonight once the kids are in bed. I am starving today and have been eating junk, so I HAVE to run to earn some extra calories!! :laugh: I am doing a 5k on Thursday weather permitting. It is supposed to t-storm that day, so we will just wait and see. I am also doing a 10k on the 1st.

Congrats to everyone on there runs already. I wish I could get out in the mornings to run... but my early riser son isn't on board with that. He actually slept till 6 this morning, I was starting to worry :laugh: he is ussually up at 4:45. :noway:

Hey proudmama!

Is your 5k a organized run?? I've never heard of a run on a Thursday. :tongue: Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hey proudmama!

Is your 5k a organized run?? I've never heard of a run on a Thursday. :tongue: Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:

Yes, it is through the gym on base. The military likes to do things a bit weird. But it is nice for me because it is while the kids are at daycare!! Plus as an added bonus I will have to miss some work to do it! :tongue: I just hate that it isn't until 11:30. yuck... it will be all hot and muggy by then. But that is were we see that good old military planning jump back it! :laugh:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Wow! Congrats to you on your success! You should be proud. For me running is more than exercise most days... it's a personal triumph against my crummy gym teachers who said I wasn't an athlete! So, kudos to you!

I feel like I'm never gonna get back into it. (Ok. That may be a little overstating it, but it's been months since I missed this many days in a row.) My husband has been sick since Friday and my youngest daughter has had the worst sleeping schedule (wake-up calls at 5:15.) We're gonna try to go out and do something this morning, but it's not the same as logging those miles. Y'all know what I mean.

Happy trails to all hitting the pavement and treadmills today!
    P

My running "inspiration comment" was my high school biology teacher(who was also the track/cross country coach) that told me I'd be cute if he could drop me off 15-20 miles of town and have me run all the way back.

Well, today was going to be doing intervals, but after 25 minutes of that ( anywhere from 6-8, up and down at 1 min intervals), I ended up going for my steady pace of 6.4-6.7. I ended up going 6 miles though. I'm getting closer to accepting that I probably could(will?) do the half marathon here in September. It helped when I heard that the race is pretty flat!
  • PEBO
    PEBO Posts: 6
    Options
    I think a training program is a great idea! It might be a casual run, but it's all about building blocks right? Speed, stride, form, pacing, etc It'll be 'food for thought' at the very least.
    I've looked into training programs before but never signed up. Can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • PEBO
    Options
    THAT.S GREAT - BUT I WILL LIKE TO KNOW HOW LONG HAVE U BEEN RUNNING?
  • dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    Mind if i join this group?

I am just starting out and looking at running a 10K at the end of Aug (the Nike + Human Race) I am at the beginner stage as I have never run before - I am meeting with my team today at noon. I looked up some training plans online and found a couple good ones that I am going to mix and matche.. I am also journaling to get me started and keep track of what I am doing.

My plan - run(jog/wlak) on Tues , Thurs, Sat
    brisk walk Mon & Wed
    Rest Fri
    Sun - depending on how I feel - either jog/walk or walk.

On walking days - I will increase the distance

I went and got myself some good new shoes on Saturday. First jog/walk was Saturday and really felt it in my thighs and shins, but doing ok. I would love to hear about others runs - congrats to those that posted their 5k runs and Here's to you who have goals for 5k & 10k's coming up!:drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Welcome dogwdots & Pebo!! :flowerforyou:

Pebo - I started running (after a 4-year fat hiatus) in March and I'm now up to 8.5 miles. (my longest to date). :smile:
  • PEBO
    Options
    :glasses: THAT.S GREAT YOU CAN DO IT JUST THINK [I KNOW I CAN]
  • PEBO
    Options
    YOU STARTED MARCH 2008 ?
  • PEBO
    Options
    WELL IM JUST STARTING OUT, I TOOK A 5 YEAR LAYOFF SO IT VERY HARD TO GET BACK IN STRIVE, AND THE HEAT DONT HELP HERE IN ATLANTA.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    YOU STARTED MARCH 2008 ?

Yes. :smile:

Starting out is difficult, but it gets addicting real fast. Although, I don't live in a hot/humid climate like you do.

Can you run early in the morning?
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! You guys have been busy today! Welcome to all of the new "joiners." hehehe I've seen most of you guys around. The more the merrier! You'll find that we have all levels of runners. I think that you'll find that the people here are happy to help with any running questions that you have (if we know the answer!)

Ok. I was totally a Debbie Downer this morning (you were right, Tricia!:smooched: ). I finally pulled out 5.25m this afternoon. I'm pleased, because it's been a few days (as I wrote before) and I was beginning to wonder.

5k's, 10k's, and Ironman? Sounds like there's some bada$$es in this club! Keep it up all!
    :heart: :heart: Pam
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to acknowledge our friends Kechie and Shannon for their awesome race finishes this weekend!!

You girls ROCK!!

19.gif19.gif19.gif19.gif19.gif19.gif

Ali just told us she has a race coming up this weekend. anyone else?!?!

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY SECOND IT!!!!!