Weight loss leveling off

Options
About 3 weeks ago I decided to take action in losing weight, and about 2 weeks ago I discovered MyFitnessPal, which has been really helpful in tracking my weight and foods. I have been trying to be meticulous about logging everything I eat and have been eating around 1400 calories a day.

At the beginning I noticed quite a dramatic drop off. After a few weeks, though, It has slowed quite a bit. This is normal, correct?
The numbers don't bother me... but my line of work is data analysis so I am always on the lookout for trends and want to make sure I am making appropriate progress.

As a side-note, I always weigh myself at the gym - I work out, then hottub/steam/shower and then weigh myself.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. Not at all unusual to see big loses at first then to taper off to a more reasonable .5 - 1lb a week loss.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yep, normal. I lost 10 pounds in the first week and a half when I (actually) started early Jan 2013. :noway:

Obviously most of that was water. Now it's 1.5 -2 pounds a week and as I lose more weight it will most likely slow down even more.
  • edessad
    edessad Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I lost 22 pounds in the first 17 days. I now lose, on average, 2.5 pounds a week. The key to this is patience. As far as trends go...in weight loss there aren't any. One week I can lose 4 pounds and the next only 1 yet I had done nothing different, same calorie intake and same exercise output. Weight sheds at it's own pace and in its own way, all we can do is help it along.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you lost 11 pounds in 2-3 weeks, and you only have about 25lbs to lose, 1) some of it is water weight, and you'll lose a lot the first week and 2) you've set your goals for weight loss waaay too high. You should only be trying to lose half a pound a week with about 15 pounds left to lose. You're a male and only eating 1400 calories. That really isn't much for someone your size. Be realistic about your goals and your activity levels, and eat back any exercise calories.