I had a back spasm last night, should I gym it today?

Options
Hi guys,

So I had a back spasm last night so I missed out on my evening work out :(

I can move today, feel a little fragile but I can move. One thing I have learnt about these things is that keeping mobile is essential and I want to go to the gym today- mainly because I need to burn off some serious calories (last two days I have overeaten a bit- not logged it though)

Can anyone who has had experience with this give me some guidance to what I should be avoiding.

Cheers! xxx

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Nit sure where your back is tender, but I've had lower back issues and I can relate to the need to keep moving!

Try going gentle on the bike or cross trainer. Rowing might add pressure and the impact from running could also upset it.

Also, I swear by a pain relief gel containing menthol and ibuprofen. In the UK (not looked to see where you're from) it's called Deep Relief...magic stuff for dodgy backs!

Good luck!
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    Yeah it's lower back and I am from the UK :) I shall take some ibuprofen and brave it then I think. Thanks for the advice :) xxx

Do you do any weights?
  • bluelilmissy
    bluelilmissy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had occasional problems with my back and I've found that two things help. 1. Stretch everyday after workouts. (A full routine glutes, hammies, quads, arms. ect.) Haven't had a problem since. 2. I don't skip working out if I am functional but I don't lift or run. . .go do some cardio on a bike or elliptical to help burn your calories and warm you up for the stretching you are going to do after. Hope you get feeling back to normal!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Usually force myself to but I'm a cardio junkie! Avoid anything strenuous for the abs if it's still tender.

And I saw a physio for mine who recommended Pilates to build core strength. I'm 3 weeks in and still a total novice but it seems to be helping.

X
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    There was no way I could I have gone last night, I was in so much pain I couldn't even wipe my own *kitten*! I'm 4 months post-partum so my core sucks big time - I try and focus on it everyday, but I guess I had better put that on hold for a few days then.
  • karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I've had some experience with lower back problems and when my back is in spasm I do McKenzie Stretches - you can google them. They work pretty well, but I usually take it easy for a couple of days so that the acute pain and soreness can ease off.

If it recurs I would try to find out the source of the problem so you know what to avoid. It could be a disc or a trapped nerve or muscle pain - it is possible to manage all of them but you have to know what it is first.

I hope that helps x
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    IMO things to avoid are:
    Uncontrolled or jerky movements.
    Heavy weights.
    Rowing machines
    Running

Things you can do:
    A much longer warmup.
    Controlled or contained movement cardio (elliptical, cycling, walking on treadmill)
    Stretch (once warm and again as part of warm-dowm).

If it hurts - STOP!
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    Thanks! I've had it about 5 times in the last 10 years- not recently though. My other half reckons i'm working too hard or not drinking enough (or both)

I'm pretty sure it's muscular and weight related (one of the main reasons I am on a mission to lose it)

I will check out those stretches you mentioned :)