Hi i'm new and have a question...

Options
Hi everyone

I joined this brilliant site this weekend after getting on the scales on Sunday and realizing I’m the heaviest I have ever been. My aim is to lose 6 pounds in a month, but a little bit more would be nice!

I’ve read on quite a few posts about 1,200 calories being the absolute minimum for people to consume. MFP has calculated that I should be aiming for 1,200 calories per day which seems a little bit low to me and I just wondered what you guys think? My details are as follows:

Height: 5ft8
Current weight: 147 pounds

I currently speed walk for about 50 minutes per day (approx. 4.5mph with some steep hills) and jog for 10 minutes per day but plan to increase this to 30 minutes per day.

Am I going in the right direction? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don’t really have a clue about what I should or shouldn’t be doing.

Thank you

Replies

• GossipG
    GossipG Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Stasha83, I think the calories you should eat are right.. and I also think that when you do exercises you will burn calories, so you can eat that calories again, you see that in your diary as a plus .. so the number of calories you can eat automatically increases..

I think you are on the right way.. doing jogging or walking is very useful for the diet and also for the health ..
    I wish I was not soooo lazy and do some exercises :D

So, hope I could help you.

Have a good Time! :)

_GossipG
  • alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The calories are right. I have lost 7.6lbs in a month and I always make sure I eat at least 1200 cals per day. if you dont your body may go into starvation mode as it thinks its not getting enough food, which will make your weight loss harder. I would eat close to to what MFP says you can eat in calories per day, this way, you keep yourself on track to reach your goal.

Good luck.

Al
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi there

Yep dont worry your 1200 calorie allocation will increase when you register your exercise done, eat most of those calories as well and you should lose weight steadily - I would recommend caution with the number of calories allocated as they do seem extraordinarily high for certain exercises.

Suck it and see you can always adapt the cals in/out to your own rhythm

good luck
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi, Yep it looks all good exercise over calorie defecite, you may want to look at what your eating and see if you can make some healthy changes. This will help feed your body after your workout.
    Good luck and if I can be of any help give me a nod
    Jay : ))
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Stasha, you and I are started with the same measurements. Because we are in the "healthy range", these "vanity pounds" actually take a lot longer to lose. But keep up the good work and vary your work out. The fact that you are about a decade younger than me helps to. Each decade, our metabolism slows down. But increasing your jogging will definitely help. I wish you well.
  • Xephyr
    Xephyr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The 1200 is also what I am doing and haven't had an issue. I am doing a Very low carb diet but it has become easy.
    If you stick to low fat meats, which gives you a huge choice, and natural veggies it is pretty easy
    It is the starchy items that make it hard. Rice, bread, noodles, chips....I think I always knew those were naughty :-)
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I think the calorie amt. sound about right with your weight. Your exercise program sounds pretty good also...Welcome and good luck!!