i heard it takes 30 days to make a habit?

Options
is this true? i've been at this for almost 40 days and i seem to be finding the controlled food easier to handle! i still get little cavings but i don't give into them.
at first it was a little hard but i'm actually enjoying it. the reward is seeing the scale go down .5 or 1 lb every week!

i'm hoping this is a "habit" now... i want to succeed so bad. sometime's i wish it could go faster. is that normal? i know it didn't come on fast, so it's going to take awhile to get it off. but it's hard to think that if it's consistent, it's gonna take me almost 2 years to reach my goal.. and if it's not consistent, it'll take way longer.

sorry for the little rant. i think i just needed to put my thoughts somewhere.

Replies

• zefreak
    zefreak Posts: 37
    Options
    Yup I have heard that too, it took me a little longer cause I am stubborn ;) (Oh and lazy) but something finally clicked last week and I am refusing food I never thought I'd turn down!
  • crenner07
    crenner07 Posts: 36
    Options
    Cravings suck. No two ways about it. I go through the list of things I want to eat in my head sometimes. But then I remember the last time I gave in to a craving and how it didn't really taste as good as I remembered it being. That helps me push through the next one. I think the 30 day action to habit saying is pretty accurate. The first 30 days of doing anything are hard. But once I've made it to that point I don't want to give up what I've started doing. It's harder to work up the motivation to start something again than to keep doing what I've already started. I don't know if that makes sense or helps, but keep going!
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of numbers thrown out there, I could probably reference several recently that have said 21, 28 and 90 days.

But if you stop counting, and just keep doing, it will get there either way ;)
  • starblazer111
    Options
    I get going on exercize then drop off...it is frustrating.. I am trying today to make a new start enc to hear from others
  • LilDaisyWilliams
    Options
    Well I have just started today so I will let you know in 30 days :)
  • profesorakate
    profesorakate Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It takes an average of 66 days to form a habit. The 21 day thing is a myth. It can take less, but it can take longer too.