Thighs and hips!

Ayirela
Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
While I'm sure we all have problem areas and right now mine are everywhere. However, my hips/thighs/arms are my biggest grrrr spots. What are some great exercises to lose the inches on these areas?

Replies

• LAURAWAGNER1
    LAURAWAGNER1 Posts: 11 Member
    I too am struggling to tone my hips and thighs.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Spot weight loss has been shown to be a crock.
    Concentrate on eating a well balanced, calorie-controlled and healthy diet and do regular intense cardio and strength exercises. Go to bed on time and maintain your important relationships. Your weight loss when it happens should be regarded as a welcome by-product of a profoundly positive lifestyle change.
    All the best with your great efforts.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Ayirela
    Thanks! I've just always had thick thighs and I didn't know if there was a way I could focus on them during my weight loss so when the rest of my body loses they will be ahead of the game in losing. lol! I hate hate my thighs.
  • lunges
  • xxxtracyxxx
    xxxtracyxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Ive found that doing steps on my Wii fit has shrunk my bum/hips and thighs. Lunges are good too.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Thanks! I've just always had thick thighs and I didn't know if there was a way I could focus on them during my weight loss so when the rest of my body loses they will be ahead of the game in losing. lol! I hate hate my thighs.

Yeah, sadly, there's no way to reduce fat in any one place; your body will let it go wherever it wants :( Me, I've lost most of the fat from about my waist up, and the stuff on my belly and "spare tire" area just does not want to seem to go anywhere. But it will eventually! Like the other poster said, eat at a deficit and exercise. Weight training can yield really great changes for overall body shape!
  • Ayirela
    Thanks again for all the replies. I will definitely add in lunges and hope for the best! :)
  • calisunrise
    calisunrise Posts: 307
    there's no such thing as spot reduction.
    if you have a hard time making your lower body shrink, you're most likely pear shaped, therefore you'll always tend to carry more weight in your hips and thighs. been here, done that
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Sadly you can't spot reduce - I too wish it were true :grumble:

All you can do is decrease fat - it's down to genetics where it comes off first, some people will lose it from the thighs first, some won't.

Adding in some heavy lifting or even just your own body weight strength training combined with a slow weight loss will help keep your lbm and make your lower body look better when you do lose the weight. Squats, lunges and deadlifts etc - but don't forget to work your upper body to help keep a balance look, press ups etc.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Try to do a well rounded routine over the course of several days and weeks that target specific muscle groups at a time. You won't spot reduce, but you will see your entire body tighten up.

I have a day for each muscle group (30 minute workouts), and two days for cardio (one hour), per week:
    Sun: arms
    Mon: legs and butt
    Tues Cardio
    Wed: all muscle groups via interval
    Thurs Cardio
    Friday stretching

Saturday is my "relax" day. The most strenuous thing I do on this day is walk the dog.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Spot reduction doesn't work

HOWEVER, doing various weights exercises, plus cardio, plus stretching, in just a month, my calves and thighs are significantly better looking than they were at a lower weight last year. So I'm going to keep on doing this, as it's the first time I've ever noticed a difference so quickly at such a high body fat %.

I'm not going to change being a pear shape. I was a pear shape at 124lbs, I was a pear shape at 140 and a pear at 260. But I can be the sexiest darn pear I can be with the exercise added in!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member

I'm not going to change being a pear shape. I was a pear shape at 124lbs, I was a pear shape at 140 and a pear at 260. But I can be the sexiest darn pear I can be with the exercise added in!

QFW :flowerforyou:
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    no spot reducing, SADLY your body decides where it will go first. but i must say with lifting, pilates (cassey pop pilates on youtube- try it i promise she will kick your *kitten*) my body has been changing.

i lost 3 kg since jan 1 - but i lost 10cm on one leg in my tights so i must be doin something right =)

good luck!