Protein Shake help

Options
I'm looking to try protein shakes, but have no idea where to begin in picking a good one. I would prefer to get one I can pick up over the weekend, but I will use Amazon if its the best option. I have a GNC, Walmart, Kroger, and Publix available to me. What exactly do I need to look for? I was told to find one that contains glutamine, creatine, and vitargo. I honestly have no idea what those things even are. I would like it to be low in sugar, and low calorie is a big plus to me. I would also like something that doesn't require a lot of tweaking to taste okay. I would like to mix it with almond milk and maybe one or two other things and be done. So, please help because I have no idea where to begin..

Replies

• chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Read the labels, look for samples, try other people's. You will not be happy if you buy a big container of something you don't like.

Also, why do you want a protein shake anyway? I am going to use mine up and be done with them. Too much calories and sugar for what I could easily just poach a couple eggs and get the same protein.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    When looking for a good protein powder I believe you want to stick with whey protein. You also want to read the label and make sure there isn't any sugar substitutes in it. The only one I know of that is free of this is Jay Robb's (order online) but I haven't tasted it yet.

Here is a copy and paste of info to help you choose a product: The protein powder you choose must not be
    sweetened with added carbohydrate or contain artificial sweeteners. This means it
    must not contain aspartame, fructose, sucrose, evaporate cane juice, sucralose,
    maltodextrin, sugar, corn syrup, corn sweeteners, barley malt, molasses, agave, or
    brown sugar. The protein powder you choose should also contain approximately 24
    grams of protein per 28.3 grams of powder (28.3 grams equal one ounce).
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    When looking for a good protein powder I believe you want to stick with whey protein. You also want to read the label and make sure there isn't any sugar substitutes in it. The only one I know of that is free of this is Jay Robb's (order online) but I haven't tasted it yet.

Here is a copy and paste of info to help you choose a product: The protein powder you choose must not be
    sweetened with added carbohydrate or contain artificial sweeteners. This means it
    maltodextrin, sugar, corn syrup, corn sweeteners, barley malt, molasses, agave, or

Lol - why?

I add loads of extra canderel to any shakesI make up anyway, as it tastes pretty weird to me otherwise. Tbh, I went into a shop and explained what I wanted - no added carbs, low cal, high protein, easy to mix (some of them are impossible to mix smooth) I ended up with the maxipower 100% professional. Not sure what countries it is available in though (its German), but when it runs out I'll just go again and see what's cheapedt that matches my requirements
  • Rwhite606
    Options
    I always check out this website before buying any protein products - www.pro-proteinshake.com - My personal favourite is the Labrada Lean Body Hi-Protein shake because of the high protein:carb ratio.
  • 4everchanged101
    4everchanged101 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I want one as a mini meal replacement.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options

Lol - why?

I add loads of extra canderel to any shakesI make up anyway, as it tastes pretty weird to me otherwise. Tbh, I went into a shop and explained what I wanted - no added carbs, low cal, high protein, easy to mix (some of them are impossible to mix smooth) I ended up with the maxipower 100% professional. Not sure what countries it is available in though (its German), but when it runs out I'll just go again and see what's cheapedt that matches my requirements
    Why? Because it is the healthy way. You don't have to be healthy. It's up to you, but if health is a goal, then what I typed will give you your answer to "WHY". You add, "loads of canderel to your shakes". Canderel is a brand of artificial sweetener made mainly from aspartame. Killing yourself slowly, but surely that's sad! Aspartame destroys health. It also can make you fat.
    There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption. According to Lendon Smith, M.D. there is an enormous population suffering from side effects associated with aspartame. See this long *kitten* list below? It is simply a LIST of all the bad that aspartame can do for your body. If you want to kill yourself fine, but don't recommend others do the same. Thanks!

Eye
    blindness in one or both eyes
    decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
    pain in one or both eyes
    decreased tears
    trouble with contact lenses
    bulging eyes

Ear
    tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
    severe intolerance of noise
    marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
    epileptic seizures
    headaches, migraines and (some severe)
    dizziness, unsteadiness, both
    confusion, memory loss, both
    severe drowsiness and sleepiness
    paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
    severe slurring of speech
    severe hyperactivity and restless legs
    atypical facial pain
    severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
    severe depression
    irritability
    aggression
    anxiety
    personality changes
    insomnia
    phobias

Chest
    palpitations, tachycardia
    shortness of breath
    recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
    nausea
    diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
    abdominal pain
    pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
    itching without a rash
    lip and mouth reactions
    hives
    aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
    loss of control of diabetes
    menstrual changes
    marked thinning or loss of hair
    marked weight loss
    gradual weight gain
    aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
    severe PMS

Other
    frequency of voiding and burning during urination
    excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
    increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
    death
    irreversible brain damage
    birth defects, including mental retardation
    peptic ulcers
    aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
    hyperactivity in children
    severe depression
    aggressive behavior
    suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Epstein-Barr
    Post-Polio Syndrome
    Lyme Disease
    Grave’s Disease
    Meniere’s Disease
    Alzheimer’s Disease
    ALS
    Epilepsy
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    EMS
    Hypothyroidism
    Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
    Fibromyalgia
    Lupus
    non-Hodgkins
    Lymphoma
    Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

These are not allergies or sensitivities, but diseases and disease syndromes. Aspartame poisoning is commonly misdiagnosed because aspartame symptoms mock textbook ‘disease’ symptoms, such as Grave’s Disease.

Aspartame changes the ratio of amino acids in the blood, blocking or lowering the levels of serotonin, tyrosine, dopamine, norepinephrine, and adrenaline. Therefore, it is typical that aspartame symptoms cannot be detected in lab tests and on x-rays. Textbook disorders and diseases may actually be a toxic load as a result of aspartame poisoning.

Ever gone to the doctor with real, physical symptoms, but he/she can’t find the cause? Well, it’s probably your diet, your environment, or both.

Aspartame is the common denominator for over 92 different health symptoms at the root of modern disease. The Aspartame Detoxification Program demonstrates the most effective way to reverse disease symptoms is removing the underlying cause - aspartame.

Dr. Hull's Websites

Site Navigation
    Aspartame Dangers Home
    About Dr. Janet Hull
    Dr. Hull's Newsletter
    About SweetPoison
    Internet Resources
    Contact Dr. Hull

Aspartame
    Aspartame Information
    Aspartame Side Effects
    How to Detox
    Case Histories
    Organizations
    Articles
    Sweeteners
    Videos

Nutrition
    Nutritional Information
    Hair Analysis
    Water Analysis

Fibromyalgia
    Multiple Sclerosis
    pH Balance

Read about SweetPoison
    Buy SweetPoison

Dr. Janet Starr Hull's Newsletter:
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    fear-mogering post is fear-mongering.
  • MrsAgi
    Options

Lol - why?

Why? Because it is the healthy way. You don't have to be healthy. It's up to you, but if health is a goal, then what I typed will give you your answer to "WHY". You add, "loads of canderel to your shakes". Canderel is a brand of artificial sweetener made mainly from aspartame. Killing yourself slowly, but surely that's sad! Aspartame destroys health. It also can make you fat.
    There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption. According to Lendon Smith, M.D. there is an enormous population suffering from side effects associated with aspartame. See this long *kitten* list below? It is simply a LIST of all the bad that aspartame can do for your body. If you want to kill yourself fine, but don't recommend others do the same. Thanks!

Eye
    decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
    pain in one or both eyes
    decreased tears
    bulging eyes

Ear

Neurologic
    epileptic seizures
    atypical facial pain
    severe tremors

severe depression
    irritability
    aggression
    anxiety
    personality changes
    insomnia
    phobias

Chest
    shortness of breath

Gastrointestinal
    nausea
    abdominal pain
    pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
    itching without a rash
    lip and mouth reactions
    hives

Endocrine and Metabolic
    menstrual changes
    marked weight loss
    gradual weight gain
    severe PMS

Other

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
    death
    peptic ulcers
    severe depression
    aggressive behavior
    suicidal tendencies

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Epstein-Barr
    Post-Polio Syndrome
    Lyme Disease
    Grave’s Disease
    Meniere’s Disease
    Alzheimer’s Disease
    ALS
    Epilepsy
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    EMS
    Hypothyroidism
    Fibromyalgia
    Lupus
    non-Hodgkins
    Lymphoma

These are not allergies or sensitivities, but diseases and disease syndromes. Aspartame poisoning is commonly misdiagnosed because aspartame symptoms mock textbook ‘disease’ symptoms, such as Grave’s Disease.

Aspartame changes the ratio of amino acids in the blood, blocking or lowering the levels of serotonin, tyrosine, dopamine, norepinephrine, and adrenaline. Therefore, it is typical that aspartame symptoms cannot be detected in lab tests and on x-rays. Textbook disorders and diseases may actually be a toxic load as a result of aspartame poisoning.

Ever gone to the doctor with real, physical symptoms, but he/she can’t find the cause? Well, it’s probably your diet, your environment, or both.

Aspartame is the common denominator for over 92 different health symptoms at the root of modern disease. The Aspartame Detoxification Program demonstrates the most effective way to reverse disease symptoms is removing the underlying cause - aspartame.

Dr. Hull's Websites

Site Navigation
    Aspartame Dangers Home
    About Dr. Janet Hull
    Dr. Hull's Newsletter
    About SweetPoison
    Internet Resources
    Contact Dr. Hull

Aspartame
    Aspartame Information
    Aspartame Side Effects
    How to Detox
    Case Histories
    Organizations
    Articles
    Sweeteners
    Videos

Nutrition
    Nutritional Information
    Hair Analysis
    Water Analysis

Fibromyalgia
    Multiple Sclerosis
    pH Balance

Read about SweetPoison
    Buy SweetPoison

In 1984, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reviewed 517 of these anecdotal reports and stated, "the majority of frequently reported symptoms were mild and are symptoms that are common in the general populace" and that “focused” clinical studies would be the best way to evaluate these complaints.

As a result, numerous scientific studies “focused” on the allegations were conducted by expert researchers at major academic institutions. The results of these studies overwhelmingly demonstrated that aspartame is not associated with adverse health effects, including headaches, seizures, changes in mood, cognition, or behavior, or allergic reactions.

Recently, several governments and expert scientific committees (including the Scientific Committee on Food of the European Commission, the United Kingdom’s Food Standards Agency, the French Food Safety Agency and Health Canada) carefully evaluated the Internet allegations and found them to be false, reconfirming the safety of aspartame. In addition, leading health authorities, such as the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, The National Multiple Sclerosis Society, The National Parkinson Foundation, Inc., the Alzheimer’s Association, and the Lupus Foundation of America, have reviewed the claims on the Internet and also concluded that they are false.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

that's gonna taste like ****.
  • MrsAgi
    Options
    If you want one as a meal replacement you need to look for powders that specify they fulfil more nutritional needs than just protein - there are LOADS on the market - just find one that you like the taste v price of:)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Lol - why?

Eye
    pain in one or both eyes
    decreased tears
    bulging eyes

Ear

Neurologic
    epileptic seizures
    atypical facial pain
    severe tremors

severe depression
    irritability
    aggression
    anxiety
    personality changes
    insomnia
    phobias

Chest
    shortness of breath

Gastrointestinal
    nausea
    abdominal pain
    pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
    itching without a rash
    lip and mouth reactions
    hives

Endocrine and Metabolic
    menstrual changes
    marked weight loss
    gradual weight gain
    severe PMS

Other

death
    peptic ulcers
    severe depression
    aggressive behavior
    suicidal tendencies

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Epstein-Barr
    Post-Polio Syndrome
    Lyme Disease
    Grave’s Disease
    Meniere’s Disease
    Alzheimer’s Disease
    ALS
    Epilepsy
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    EMS
    Hypothyroidism
    Fibromyalgia
    Lupus
    non-Hodgkins
    Lymphoma

Dr. Hull's Websites

Site Navigation
    Aspartame Dangers Home
    About Dr. Janet Hull
    Dr. Hull's Newsletter
    About SweetPoison
    Internet Resources
    Contact Dr. Hull

Aspartame
    Aspartame Information
    Aspartame Side Effects
    How to Detox
    Case Histories
    Organizations
    Articles
    Sweeteners
    Videos

Nutrition
    Nutritional Information
    Hair Analysis
    Water Analysis

Fibromyalgia
    Multiple Sclerosis
    pH Balance

Read about SweetPoison
    Buy SweetPoison

0EVXy4C.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    holy wall of text! :noway:

I use optimum nutrition whey protein - and if you want to use it as a meal replacement try adding it to a smoothie - that's what I do some mornings. I'm in England so don't know what you'd get where I'm afraid.

I agree to see if you can get samples to taste - I hated my first one - strawberry to go in smoothies - but love the vanilla and mint chocolate. :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I don't take advice from MD's who were on probation for prescribing medication that was "not necessary or medically indicated"

Also he is not longer allowed to practice:

Despite surrendering his license to practice medicine, Smith remained involved in the business through writing and lecturing, this time promoting alternative medicine.

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/lendonsmith.html

Just a quick google search on Mr Lendon smith MD.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Well. This thread is ruined. It's ok though. There are probably a couple hundred decent other ones out there that aren't covered in orthoexia-induced fear mongering.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Well. This thread is ruined. It's ok though. There are probably a couple hundred decent other ones out there that aren't covered in orthoexia-induced fear mongering.
    Probably not for long. S_U_M_M_E_R is coming, you know.

As for me - I've tried several different protein shakes. Current favorite is Optimum Nutrition double chocolate. I'm not a fan of fear-mongering or orthorexia, so I don't give a rat's behind what it's sweetened with. It tastes good and has a good AA profile.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I like Walker's Diet Meal Replacement or Metrx Ultramyosyn Whey, I get them from Amazon.com and I added 2 tbsp of PB2 to them for added thickness to keep me full longer, when I was trying to lose weight.
    If you just want to run out to your local Wal-Mart though, Body Fortress has some good low carb, high protein shakes that range $15-$20.

If you're looking for a good specifically Meal Replacement Shake, Walker's Diet Replacement shakes are excellent, low carb, good protein, packed full of vitamins, and mix very well.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    When I was selecting a protein powder here's what I looked for:

low carb and no added sugar
    no aspartame (cuz it gives me headaches, but if you don't react to it then this may not apply to you)
    easy to mix
    whey protein isolate
    doesn't taste like dog vomit

I found Jay Robb. I LOVE IT. 25 grams of protein per 30 grams of powder. 110 calories and only one gram of carb. It's sweetened with stevia. It has a decent flavor and I drink the chocolate with skim milk added... and the strawberry flavor I mix with a sugar free drink. You don't even have to use a shaker bottle. I just stir it and it blends perfectly with absolutely NO GRIT. I use the vanilla flavor in my daily coffee. Half a scoop in my coffee and it's delish. I've tried other brands of protein and this is the best one for me. Sadly it is a bit more expensive than other brands and I'm a cheapskate but will pay more for this product because it meets my criteria.

Also Isopure is not bad, but it kind of tastes a bit gritty to me and weirdly salty.. I dunno, a lot of people say they like it but I'm not a huge fan. I have a big tub of it I'm using up, but I only use it when I add ice to my shake and blend it.. that tends to mask the taste.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't take advice from MD's who were on probation for prescribing medication that was "not necessary or medically indicated"

Also he is not longer allowed to practice:

Despite surrendering his license to practice medicine, Smith remained involved in the business through writing and lecturing, this time promoting alternative medicine.

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/lendonsmith.html

Just a quick google search on Mr Lendon smith MD.

^Yeah.....things to be wary about....
  • Agkerrick
    Agkerrick Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use the Total Lean shakes from GNC. I like the swiss chocolate and the strawberry/cream ones. I also buy the packaged ones, instead of the powder. I bought a bottle of powder on sale, but it was not as creamy as the prepared ones are. Also, they are frequently on sale buy one, get one half price. If you go to GNC and like the products, the gold card is worth the price. With the gold card, I go in the first week of the month and stock up for the whole month since the card gets me a discount.

Good luck and happy sipping!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

In 1984, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reviewed 517 of these anecdotal reports and stated, "the majority of frequently reported symptoms were mild and are symptoms that are common in the general populace" and that “focused” clinical studies would be the best way to evaluate these complaints.

As a result, numerous scientific studies “focused” on the allegations were conducted by expert researchers at major academic institutions. The results of these studies overwhelmingly demonstrated that aspartame is not associated with adverse health effects, including headaches, seizures, changes in mood, cognition, or behavior, or allergic reactions.

Recently, several governments and expert scientific committees (including the Scientific Committee on Food of the European Commission, the United Kingdom’s Food Standards Agency, the French Food Safety Agency and Health Canada) carefully evaluated the Internet allegations and found them to be false, reconfirming the safety of aspartame. In addition, leading health authorities, such as the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, The National Multiple Sclerosis Society, The National Parkinson Foundation, Inc., the Alzheimer’s Association, and the Lupus Foundation of America, have reviewed the claims on the Internet and also concluded that they are false.

Hey is there a link for this? I'd love to use it.