Logged a real binge.

Options
I have issues with bingeing. I eat around 2000 calories a day, so it's not because I'm chronically hungry. I just have some weird psychological demon that possesses me and I consume food until I'm in pain sometimes. I'm working on it. Thursday I consumed a whopping 5300 calories. I logged it. The good, bad, and ugly. It seriously opened my eyes to see it all in front of me. I almost cried seeing it. And I forgot about the Samoas, so actually it was probably closer to 6000. It's scary that I can even shovel that much into my stomach without much trouble. I have picked myself up, dusted myself off, and moved on to the next day. Anyone else suffer with extreme bingeing issues like me?

Replies

• MadMadamMirm
    MadMadamMirm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good for you for logging it! I'm not an expert by any means, but it definitely seems like a huge step towards solving your problem.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain. And I give you credit, cause I'd never log stuff like that. But it's quite obvious I went off the deep end when my food log misses a day or a day is in complete. I've eaten till I've become sick and cry that it'll never happen again, but indeed it does. I can polish off a whole box of munchkins in a sitting, cookies, candy...you name it and I eat it during a binge...hungry or not. I've probably had 10,000 calories or so in a sitting before. Most of the time the binges come when Im stressed although that's not always the case. Lately, when I think about food I try to keep myself busy some other way. you're not alone! good luck!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    2mq26uc.jpg

I totally understand you. I do something very similar. I will go weeks and weeks and be able to stay under that dreaded red line of calories consumed for the week and then I just fall apart. I seem to just lose all motivation to get out and work. I know what did it this time. I see the scale dropping. Unfortunately, what I see is my body fat mass remaining stable or rising and my lean body mass dropping. Dropping very rapidly. It's very disheartening. I do my measurements. I take my progress pictures. And nothing seems to change. And the way I deal with this? I ate a sleeve of Thin Mints a 1/4 tray of Samosas, and a slab of that barbecue brisket. And I stayed in my pajamas working from 6 AM until 7 PM. I literally didn't move to do anything other than bring food to my computer or go to the bathroom. How is this going to help my overall goal? But today is going to be different. When I got up this morning I took my pajamas off and put my workout clothes on right away. After I drink my coffee I'm going to fill up my water bottle and carry it around with me nonstop. I'm hoping (probably just random optimism) that my body fat scale is reading dehydration more than actual lean body mass lost. Lately I wake up feeling so very thirsty in the middle of the night. And my normal five, 16 ounce cups of water seem to leave me thirstier than ever. I'm going to clean up the house and then I'm going to the gym if it raises above freezing here I am going to run to the gym and lift weights if it doesn't I will try to the gym get on the treadmill and then lift weights then I am going to go out and do a weeks’ worth of grocery shopping. I'm going to take a shower and look cute and go out and buy healthy food. I'm going to make this whole week look different. Friend me if you want to. Seems like we have very similar issues going on in our heads.

346wehz.jpg
  • spongebex
    spongebex Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi Jacksmom12,

Can I say I think that your post and dairy logging was / is a really brave and honest thing to do. So thank-you so much for sharing. And I agree with MiriamPoop that is sounds like a massive step in the right direction in terms of making changes to that way of eating.

Good luck with I have a feeling you are gonna get a handle on it :)

x

Ps. in the name of self-disclosure last week at work I stuck a post-it note on my computer screen "you DON'T want that cake"
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    You logged it which makes you awesome in my book. <<hugs>>
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I'm really proud of you for logging it all! Maybe you can work on cutting it back to a 4000 calorie binge instead of 5000 or 6000. Work on decreasing it little by little and take control.

This may not help you, but you made me feel better about my 2500 calorie binge days. They happen about twice a week.

Your weightloss is phenomenal.. keep it up!!!!
  • jmomma160
    Options
    I too have to be honest about what I am doing. Can never recover if we aren't honest, borrowing from AA and NA. It is hard when you are used to eating whatever you want whenever you want and thinking little about the consequences. I am reading a book given to me by my Christian Nutritionist called Made to Crave. It is Bible based but it has also helped me take a realistic look at why I do what I do. I am a Christian and this book has been a slap in the face. It's written by author Lysa TerKeurst. It has been a help, if you have time, try it and don't give up. WE CAN DO THIS AND IT IS WORTH IT.
  • kge0891
    kge0891 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hey, I can totally understand your binging. I also suffer from binge-eating, and feel like I have no control over it some times. I recently joined the MFP binge-eating support group (https://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/743-binge-eating-support-group) and am so glad to have endless support for people fighting the urge to binge everyday, just like I am. If you want, you can add me as a friend for some support, and definitely join the group!

I get embarrassed at times, because while a lot of my MFP friends are also from my binge-eating support group, many others are my friends that I see every day, who are completely unaware of my binge-eating problem. I am completely afraid to tell people about it, to let them know that sometimes I eat everything in sight, and consume thousands of calories in an hour. Eventually, I will work on being more open about binging tendencies, but right now, I'm too afraid to!
  • Cinabean
    Cinabean Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You have my utmost admiration, and you shamed me. I had ice cream last night, and did not log it b/c I was ashamed of it. I am going back to add it. The good, bad, and the ugly. If I record the bad and ugly, it will make the good look that much better.

I have binged, too, but am lucky that it's not on a regular basis like you seem to be fighting. I wish you the best. Friend me if you like. We might not have the exact same issues, but everyone has their own demons they fight. Your weight loss journey so far looks amazing, and I am still in awe that you are so honest with your logging. What an inspiration! Sometimes, just owning it can help reduce it each time.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to eat when I am bored. I have found if I do something with my hands, knit, needlework, scrapbooking, I am less likely to hit the refrigerator. Any activity that makes it hard to do while you are eating. I applaud you for being honest and logging everything though. You can also try sipping a cup of tea or coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker but when I'm a little hungry or looking to eat something often times a cup of tea will quench the urge. Some suggest drinking water but I haven't found that to be very helpful.
  • samsamnojam
    samsamnojam Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bingeing was a problem for me, for years. I've tried everything - lots of psychological approaches, affirmations, hypnotherapy, alternative therapies, diets, eating wholefoods, eating raw, green juicing.... etc. Nothing worked. Or it would work for a week or two. Then stop.

I came to believe that it's largely to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain. Anti-depressants (SSRIs) are the only thing that stop me bingeing. Prozac worked well, but I didn't like the other side effects. Now I'm on Citalopram and that works well too.

There is something called Atypical Depression, and one of the characteristics of that can be over-eating.

Good luck. You're really brave to come out and talk about this. Have you talked to your doctor about it?
  • wineliketopaz
    Options
    Thank you for this.

I'm going to try to log mine as well. Difficult to know exactly how much it was but I will estimate.

I've also just written a blog post for myself and why I felt I binged last night and what I can try to do better next time.

I've already got my workout clothes on and will be going for my run now.