Fire Water

Options
Fab140
Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
I know I have posted about drinking before, but that wasn't to quit. That was to slow down, keep it to one or two drinks a night.....

I have come to the realization that I need to quit, both my husband and I do. We don't wake up everyday jonesing for a drink, but we do come home from work and grab a drink. And then another. I usually stop at three, and wake up feeling terrible. I feel like scum saying this, but most of last week, I was hungover.

Alcoholism runs on both sides of my family, as does the weight issues and depression that come along with it. Though I am not considered an alcoholic, nor is my husband, we are both experiencing the depression and mood disorders that tend to be linked with the disease. We have or reasons, i suppose, for "needing" that night cap or three. Work related mostly. :wink:

Where I'm going with this is the same lines of Diary of a Quitter and Diary of a Compulsive eater (?? I may have that one messed up :tongue: ). I need the support outside of my family to get through this. And, naturally, I would love suggestions. The hardest time will be the weekends I think.

:flowerforyou: Wish us luck! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Fab140
    Options
    I know I have posted about drinking before, but that wasn't to quit. That was to slow down, keep it to one or two drinks a night.....

I have come to the realization that I need to quit, both my husband and I do. We don't wake up everyday jonesing for a drink, but we do come home from work and grab a drink. And then another. I usually stop at three, and wake up feeling terrible. I feel like scum saying this, but most of last week, I was hungover.

Alcoholism runs on both sides of my family, as does the weight issues and depression that come along with it. Though I am not considered an alcoholic, nor is my husband, we are both experiencing the depression and mood disorders that tend to be linked with the disease. We have or reasons, i suppose, for "needing" that night cap or three. Work related mostly. :wink:

Where I'm going with this is the same lines of Diary of a Quitter and Diary of a Compulsive eater (?? I may have that one messed up :tongue: ). I need the support outside of my family to get through this. And, naturally, I would love suggestions. The hardest time will be the weekends I think.

:flowerforyou: Wish us luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jsmalla
    jsmalla Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some very clear thinking to me, Megan. You've got my support completely. Prayers goin' up for you & hubby.

You asked for suggestions. I read your profile & grabbed this quote from you,
    "I love my life and my husband, I'd hate to waste either!"

So here's my suggestion. There's a book that topped the bestsellers list for quite a while several years ago. It speaks to that issue directly. It's called "Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. If you haven't already read it, grab it, read it & tell me what you think.
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Well I think its great you realize the problem and want to do something about it, I have relatives on both sides of my family that are alcoholics and I see the strain it has on everyone. My grandpa was a really bad alcoholic, drinking non stop all day and he quit, he hasn't had a drink in over 15 years so it definatly is possible, just be strong and believe in yourself :flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some very clear thinking to me, Megan. You've got my support completely. Prayers goin' up for you & hubby.

So here's my suggestion. There's a book that topped the bestsellers list for quite a while several years ago. It speaks to that issue directly. It's called "Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. If you haven't already read it, grab it, read it & tell me what you think.

Oh!! My friend just bought this book and she said it is AMAZING! She absolutely loves it!
  • Fab140
    Options

Thank you and I will!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Oh, poor Megan. It sounds like you know already what it is you and hubby need to do. No excuses, Missy! My hubs has battled with alcohol addiction for awhile and he does really good for awhile. At times it has almost cost us everything. You don't have to be snookered everyday to be an alcoholic. He liked to drink every night, but functioned just fine during the day w/ work and all. There is a point you get to in life where you say enough is enough. It really takes a huge toll on your mental state along with those that are around you. I hope you can nip this in the bud, girl. My prayers are with you.:smile:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It takes amazing courage to admit a problem like you just did. You have already taken the biggest step right there.
    Good Luck (it doesn't have anything to do with luck though, you are in control and you can do it!)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You already have the answer, you need to act on it now. There are alot of ways to enjoy life without alcohol, you are young and probably have most of your social life involved in drinking socially. You admit you are "jonesing" and that is a sign that it is more than a social drink, that is a sign that your body thinks it needs it and that indicates a problem.

You may not be an alcoholic but you have the family history and tendencies so you recognize the potential. How does your husband feel about all the hangovers and drinking? If he is tired and depressed maybe you guys should start some counciling or see if there are some AA meetings in your area.

I would not have considered myself an alcoholic at the time but I was a binge drinker and when I met my husband he was 2 years sober and I went to a lot of AA meetings with him and just listening people talk about what they have done and who they have hurt made me realize I didn't need to be drinking like I was. There are a lot of people out there that can help you and your husband get healthy and quit having hangovers you just have to take the first step.

Good luck, you can do it! :smile: