Yoga

Options
I am contemplating on taking some yoga classes at my gym, but before I dish out the 80 dollars, I was wondering how others feel about Yoga. Is it as calming as they say it is? Good for flexibility?

Any advice would be great!

PS - always looking for new friends!

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I started attending yoga classes in January and I absolutely love them. Yoga is seriously changing the shape of my body, my waist is smaller and I'm starting to get visible abs. I don't know about calming since I can't ever seem to get my brain to settle down, but I like the slow deliberateness of the movements and poses.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Yoga is obviously amazing for flexibility and you'll notice a difference within a few weeks. Yoga can be calming but it can also be a hell of a workout where you sweat your butt off. It is the best so just do it!!
  • RayR13
    RayR13 Posts: 31
    Options
    love love love yoga... i do a session of yoga 3-4 times a week, feel so good afterwards!
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love yoga, and I do it 2 - 3 times a week. It calms me quite a bit mentally and I'm definitely more flexible and strong since I started being more committed to it. It's also helped strengthen my foot from a broken metatarsal back in November, so it has some benefits that I don't get with weight lifting and running (my main exercise routine).

Before you shell out $80, however, maybe try some of the classes at doyogawithme.com. They have tons of free streaming yoga classes and the instructors in the videos that I've tried are great. Just as good as being in a class, and you can do it at home and avoid some embarrassment if you wobble and fall over (NOT THAT I EVER DO *cough cough*). I would try a few of those free ones to see if you like yoga before spending $80 and potentially realizing you hated it. But I'm on a super strict budget, so I'm always in on free stuff. :-) I do love taking on-site yoga classes with a room full of people when I have the money.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yoga is obviously amazing for flexibility and you'll notice a difference within a few weeks. Yoga can be calming but it can also be a hell of a workout where you sweat your butt off. It is the best so just do it!!

YES to the "it can also be a hell of a workout where you sweat your butt off"!!!! I love the P90X yoga video and it kicks my butt every single time.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the gym? Do you like it? Are there other classes you'll take there? Can you try it for one week or one month to make sure?

I would also try a couple yoga classes at local studios. Most of the time, you can take the first class for free. Try a couple and see what you like.

For me, I'm more likely to go to a class that do a video, so that might work for you too.
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

This^ I started taking a yoga class at my gym and it was much harder than it looked. I went into the class thinking it was going to be a good stretching class, but it turned out to be a workout. I'm getting better each week and enjoy it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Such a great response!

I'm a Yoga lover as well, I can't think of one thing to say against it, I think you'll really find it makes a difference not only physically but emotionally and mentally. Yoga covers all bases.. it's so calming on the mind as well.

You could check out some Youtube vids and give it a try, of course a group class is NOTHING like doing it on your own, but for starters it's an idea.

I love both, Yoga in a group and on my own, for different reasons and Yoga is something you can do pretty much anywhere anytime.:drinker:
    I love yoga, and I do it 2 - 3 times a week. It calms me quite a bit mentally and I'm definitely more flexible and strong since I started being more committed to it. It's also helped strengthen my foot from a broken metatarsal back in November, so it has some benefits that I don't get with weight lifting and running (my main exercise routine).

Before you shell out $80, however, maybe try some of the classes at doyogawithme.com. They have tons of free streaming yoga classes and the instructors in the videos that I've tried are great. Just as good as being in a class, and you can do it at home and avoid some embarrassment if you wobble and fall over (NOT THAT I EVER DO *cough cough*). I would try a few of those free ones to see if you like yoga before spending $80 and potentially realizing you hated it. But I'm on a super strict budget, so I'm always in on free stuff. :-) I do love taking on-site yoga classes with a room full of people when I have the money.
    Good point on the $$, there are places you can take it for $5 a class or often times a group will get together for free in a park. As shared unless you plan to do other classes etc. where you're going for the $80 it's best to be sure Yoga is for you or perhaps find a place where you can do more than Yoga?

Good Luck, would love to hear back what you think after you've tried it!