Struggling with increase in appetite.

Options
I'm a 60kg, 27 year old female who does around 90 mins of cardio a week, and about 120/150 mins of vigorous weightlifting. I have seen, since cutting down from cardio only (running 20k a week) to moderate cardio plus weights, my appetite has increased enormously.
I try to eat healthily for main meals, but struggle to cut down sugar. I take in around 1500-2000 calories a day, and desperately want to lose half a stone. Help! Why so hungry?!!!

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Is the 120/150 minutes of weight lifting your total for the week?

Or is that a daily session?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

Same question...

Also, how much protein to you get? Without your diary open I would say, get more protein and fuel those muscles.
  • QueenShneen
    QueenShneen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's a total- I'm off running for 5 weeks after getting tendinitis, and started weightlifting and cycling to compensate. Is this too low???
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Same question...

Also, how much protein to you get? Without your diary open I would say, get more protein and fuel those muscles.

This, your protein could be too low for the weightlifting. You need it to repair your muscles that get "damaged" more than if you were doing cardio.
  • QueenShneen
    Options
    Opened my diary there- guys I think you're right. Protein shakes, around 8 weeks ago, started making me throw up. Sinc I stopped taking them then the hunger started.

Doh. Thanks so much. Been beating myself up about this!!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I'm a 60kg, 27 year old female who does around 90 mins of cardio a week, and about 120/150 mins of vigorous weightlifting. I have seen, since cutting down from cardio only (running 20k a week) to moderate cardio plus weights, my appetite has increased enormously.
    I try to eat healthily for main meals, but struggle to cut down sugar. I take in around 1500-2000 calories a day, and desperately want to lose half a stone. Help! Why so hungry?!!!

Why is half a stone the target?

Your body can fluctuate by up to 10 pounds, so being this close to your goal weight it might be easier to focus on measurements or take progession photos. You should be aiming for about 25% of your cals to come from protein as a minimum if you are lifting heavy.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If you don't like a certain brand or flavor of protein shakes, look around for something you like better. There are literally dozens of brands and flavors out there, and getting the proper nutrition is crucial, so find something you actually like. Also make sure it has very few (if any) carbs/fat in it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    That's a total- I'm off running for 5 weeks after getting tendinitis, and started weightlifting and cycling to compensate. Is this too low???

No...if it was a daily total I was going to tell you to eat way more.

What % of your diet is protein? How many grams per day are you getting. Protein is very important, especially if you exercise a lot and particularly when you're lifting weights. Your muscles need that protein for repair. My guess is that with the weight lifting, your body is telling you that you're hungry because those muscles need fuel to repair. Try to get around 1g or protein per Lb of LBM. That should do the trick. If you struggle getting your protein up, look to supplement with whey or something. I do 40c/30p/30hf and have to supplement with whey...I'd never hit my protein goals without the whey.

Edit: never mind...lots of other posting going on before mine went up
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

You're food choices aren't too bad in my opinion. Are you logging your exercise and eating back those calories?

Usually when people are eating the right foods and are as hungry as you described it's because they aren't consuming enough calories to support their level of activity.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Looked at your diary and yep - way way more protein needed, try 40/30/30 c/p/f.

Not only is it good for your lbm it will keep you fuller for longer. :drinker:

Also check what you are logging - the bread you logged yesterday claims it has no carbs! clearly wrong. :laugh: That's sadly an issue with the database - try to pick the one which has all the main macros listed to help with your logging.
  • QueenShneen
    Options
    I could literally hug all of you : ) thanks!!!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Opened my diary there- guys I think you're right. Protein shakes, around 8 weeks ago, started making me throw up. Sinc I stopped taking them then the hunger started.

Your cals are set at 1200 and one day in last week you recorded 700.

How tall are you? If you are over 5ft your BMR is over 1200 which is the minimum you should eat to stay in bed all day.

I advise you use this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Your cals are set at 1200 and one day in last week you recorded 700.

How tall are you? If you are over 5ft your BMR is over 1200 which is the minimum you should eat to stay in bed all day.

I advise you use this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Seconded :flowerforyou: