underactive thyroid - can you not just exercise more?

Options

Replies

• altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Once you're properly medicated, the difficulties you have losing weight with a healthy diet and exercise should diminish. I've been hypothyroid for 12 years. I gained weight from having a sedentary lifestyle that was high in calorie AND I lost weight when I stopped eating SO much and started moving around. The entire time I was properly medicated. So, once you have your levels right - the issue then becomes how far you want to go with this. If you're willing to exercise hardcore, there's no reason you won't reap the benefits of your efforts.
    I agree. I've been medicated for hypothryroid for 14 years. I gained weight because I was sedentary the first few years. I took up running 10 years ago. I started gaining weight very slowly when I took up half marathons. When I joined here, I found that I wasn't eating enough for that kind of training. During the off season, I rarely exercise (run or weights) for more than 30 minutes.
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 12 years ago and have taken meds since. The only symptom I had was a lump (goiter) in my neck. If you seek medical help, work with your doctor to get the dose right and take your meds every day, then you should be fine. I do think some people use it as an excuse. The meds should get you back to a "normal" thyroid function ... then it's up to us.
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Tried that, and it didn't work. That was one of the ways I suspected it was my thyroid. Through C25K I started running 25 miles per week, and some days I followed up with 30DS. It was like my body completely shut down. I would sleep 8 - 10 hours at night, and then come to work, not be able to concentrate/function, fall asleep in my cubicle for 2-3 hours per day, and STILL not be able to function for the rest of the day. I was eating between 1800 and 2300 cals, so plenty of fuel. And it wasn't just "Oh, I don't feel like doing anything". It was "No, you are NOT going to do anything!" So it's more about just not being able to lose weight.
  • SunShineGirly11
    SunShineGirly11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed last month with hypothyroidism. 2 years ago I joined MFP and was able to lose weight steadily and consistently. I then got pregnant and gained about 20 pounds with it. But after I had my baby was when the problems started, I thought it was just trying to recover and postpartum issues. I tried very hard to workout but as others have said it was hard to just get out of bed or do anything especially with a 2 year old your chasing and a new baby. I weighed my self the day after Thanksgiving and had gained 10 pounds since having my baby. During December I watched what I ate really close and exercised when I felt I could, but by the first of the year I had gained another 15 pounds....in just 5 weeks! That's when I knew something was wrong because even when I gained weight a few years ago it never came on that fast and I was eating close to 3000 calories a day. The doctor put me on .75mg but I still feel so sluggish and exhausted all the time. And when I do workout I am asleep with in 15 minutes of finishing the workout because it completely wipes me out. I'm hoping once I find the right dosage of meds that will help, but it definitely not as easy as just exercising more and watching what you eat....me just eating around 1300-1500 calories in the past month and exercising a few days a week and I'm lucky if I maintain every week!
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't have a thyroid and my meds are wrong again. I have been so tired for the past two weeks that I hardly get up to go to the bathroom. No, I don't wet my pants, but I hold it as long as I can.

I don't have a gall bladder either. So not only do I not have the organ than controls metabolism, but I also don't have the organ that controls how your body handles fat.

A week ago I had to stop exercising because I got sick, and the exhaustion is still severe. I had a cold.

Yes, when I eat under 1350 calories a day, I can lose weight. I don't have the luxury of going over my calories and not gaining weight.
  • SuperStepper408
    SuperStepper408 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and MS. I take medication for both (MS 7 years, Thyroid, 13 years) and I'm able to exercise every day if I wish. It does take a bit longer for the weight to come off and when the thyroid medication isn't working correctly and needs to be adjusted, I gain instead of lose weight. Last year my MS medication interacted with the Thyroid medication and caused it to stop working, so the doctors said, and I gained 30 pounds and had all kinds of health issues to go with that. But now the doctors switched both of my medications and the weight has started to come off slowly as long as I exercise several times a week and eat correctly. I have bouts where I'm super tired but the doctor's saed that is normal for people with MS/underactive thyroid. For exercise, I would just suggest to start with whatever your body can handle as any amount is helpful, such as a short walk.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism is very easy to treat by just taking a specific dose of pill every day. When it's under control, your hormones should be normal and not affect your ability to lose weight. I take 205mcg daily, have been treating it for 15 years, and I had no trouble losing 20 lbs.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism is very easy to treat by just taking a specific dose of pill every day. When it's under control, your hormones should be normal and not affect your ability to lose weight. I take 205mcg daily, have been treating it for 15 years, and I had no trouble losing 20 lbs.

Some people's hypothyroid is easy to treat with a pill. For many people's it's not that easy.

But I do agree that once managed properly weight loss is achievable the same way as for everyone else.
  • kge0891
    kge0891 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. If your condition is new and not controlled yet, then yes, losing weight is hard, because your metabolism is slowed. And exercise, like cardio, only allows for a short increase in metabolism (while weight lifting is more long term), but losing weight is difficult and came become a frustration. For me, my doctor has figured out what dosage of Synthroid that I need, and I can lose weight the same as any one else!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I kept locking my keys in the car and forgetting things. I racked it up to "mommy brain" after my third child. I became very ill and the doctor did a full blood work up. Yes i was hypothyroid. I finally got it under control and lost quite a bit of weight. Then my insurance company stopped paying for my medicine and I switched to generic. DON"T DO THIS. I couldn't get back on track until I started paying for my own meds.(trying different doses and formulas for 5+ years) I am where I started plus and struggling. Even with proper meds you are still more prone to joint pain and constipation which can really mess up weight loss. Unfortunately it is not as "simple" as working out more.
  • o2bfit3
    o2bfit3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Also, consider that you might concurrently have metabolic syndrome that requires some special attention: eating 6 smaller meals during the day and exercising consistently. It will help your thyroid and improve your ability to feel like exercising more. Once your thryoid hormones are regulated, you will feel amazingly better! Sending you good thoughts!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Because we're tired and miserable. Especially if we're not properly medicated, it's damn near impossible to push our bodies harder than they'll go, and that tends to be not very hard. Even if we do manage to exercise harder, it often still does not do the trick. I cannot emphasize how much difference being properly medicated makes.

If you've never experienced the fatigue and weakness of thyroid disease, it's hard to express just how awful it is. Think about the last time you were sick with the flu. Now picture trying to "just exercise more". Yeah, it's something like that.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Different people can have very different symptoms with hypothyroid disease. I wasn't overweight. I was so depressed I could barely make it out of bed. Walking kept me awake, and made me feel like I was alive, so I would skip class and walk all day. Also, I didn't eat much. I just wasn't into it.

On thyroid medication, I actually gained a bit of weight, before I lost it again, because I suddenly became interested in food. I do well on the generic, and while I don't like having a chronic condition, I'm thankful that mine is easy, and cheap, to treat.
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have underactive thyroid....I take my meds, I take some all natural supplements from the health food store. I workout everyday and have lost weight. I told myself i was not going to let that stop me...for me it was a mental thing. I work, have 2 kids, i try to eat clean and workout daily. I wouldnt let myself use it as an excuse, in fact it may have driven me to work harder....

this
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The answer is no, you cannot just exercise more.

There are lots of other smptoms besides not being able to lose weight (or actually gaining on low calories). I had huge bouts of edema (sometimes 7-10 lbs in a day or two), gaining on 1200 cals /day (I kept a journal), and extreme tiredness (I would almost fall asleep when I peed). I'd sleep 12-14 hours a day and severely affected my life.
  • gingermaker219
    gingermaker219 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm honest. I'm fat an I'm over 40. I've had an underactive thyroid for years, and could use this as an excuse but truth be known I eat far far too much and dont exercise regularly.
    Until you get your thyroxin dosage right everything is a struggle as your thyroid is basically your wellbeing, but once you are stable there is no excuse in my case except greed and bone idleness.
    I also find people especially my Mum make the thyroid excuse for me and thats how a lot of people find themselves believing it. Your post has just kicked me up the reality butt, and in one statement has made me think and for that I thank you. The wii remote batteries are being charged as I type, as this frame is not pretty for the real world yet.
    How strange that such a random statement from a total stranger may just be the one thing to make a difference.
    The one thing I will say in defence to everyone with under active thyroids is the forgetfullness and the tiredness is harder to conquer, but sometimes I think its mind over matter and having so much sleep is something that you get used to.
    Better food means better living which can only benefit you in the end.
  • gingermaker219
    gingermaker219 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sorry if I have offended anyone but thats how my situation is
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I also find people especially my Mum make the thyroid excuse for me and thats how a lot of people find themselves believing it. Your post has just kicked me up the reality butt, and in one statement has made me think and for that I thank you.

You're at least half right. Exercise is possible, even with an untreated or poorly treated thyroid condition, and it helps. On the other hand, don't be too hard on yourself. Being hypothyroid makes a lot of things a lot harder than they need to be.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I also find people especially my Mum make the thyroid excuse for me and thats how a lot of people find themselves believing it. Your post has just kicked me up the reality butt, and in one statement has made me think and for that I thank you.

You're at least half right. Exercise is possible, even with an untreated or poorly treated thyroid condition, and it helps. On the other hand, don't be too hard on yourself. Being hypothyroid makes a lot of things a lot harder than they need to be.

I agree that it is possible to workout with a low thyroid. Honestly though, this thread a little offensive and I'm trying not to be offended - not everyone knows about it and I assume that's why the question is asked. I usually don't get offended at internet posts, and skim right by the ones that bug me, but this one was more personal I guess.

I think some might use it for an "excuse," but the fact is, once your thyroid stops working, you will gain weight. Usually about 20-30 lbs. You are eating "normally" and all of a sudden it's there. Some people choose to give up and just gain more weight. There are people that do this with anything...not just underactive thyroid.

It is harder for me to lose as well - even while medicated. What I eat does matter...it is not "calories in vs calories out" as is said on this board all the time (quite recklessly IMHO). Most people with hypo also have other automimmune diseases, which can further complicate the situation.

That being said, I do not look at it like I am a victim - now that I'm medicated correctly, I have the energy to do the things I enjoy doing along with the things I *have* to do. Most of the other symptoms have cleared up as well, and I can lose weight...it just might not be as fast as I used to be able to do it. (Which is fine, because I'm more concerned about lifestyle changes at this point.) It doesn't help that the medication can make you hungrier than normal (some people don't experience this, but a lot do). I've started taking most of my meds at night now, hoping I wouldn't be so starved in the morning...it has helped a bit.
  • Lemonade2013
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and have had since 1994 - I put 2 stone on over a short period of time, coupled with other stuff, had a blood test and for the first time ever the doctor rang me with the result, I was grossly underactive.. so..by then you are so on your knees, I seriously thought I had had a personality transplant :huh: I had become tired which in turn I called myself lazy, 2 lovely children that suddenly were far too much work for me.. even the thought of having to go up the stairs was just too much at that time.

IT is now 2013, I have lost 5.5 stone slowly.. I do rather weirdly have a thyroid that my doctor finds hard to regulate all these years, I have a blood test every 8-10 weeks and swing from a TSH of 0.5 to 15 BUT these last ten months I have been stable... and how I did that was to start taking my thyroxine on an empty stomach very first thing in the morning.. a couple of hours before food - the difference it has made has been immense.

Also, as an aside I told a friend of mine about this new routine of mine, she swapped from her somewhat erratic routine of taking her meds whenever she thought about it - and without changing hardly anything in her diet she has lost 2 stone since last Summer.

One thing out of all the things I have been told about the thyroid, by professionals, the one I remember the most is that your thyroid gives you your zest for life so when it isnt working how it should be it makes life suck for sure:frown: