Where do you get your nutrition info...

Options
Phrick
Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
for things like fresh fruit, meats, items that don't come with a Nutrition guide? If I'm going to eat it, i weigh it, but I don't always know where to figure out how many calories are in 1 serving of, say, a banana. So I eat a 139g banana, where do I look to figure out how many calories that is? Not everything is in the MFP database, most fruits that are are entered as "small, medium, large."

Replies

• delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    For things like that, I guesstimate. If it was a bigger banana, go with large.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i type a simple question into google search example, calories in a large banana , usally then get 10 or so sites with the nutrition on and i look for the most common one lets say 7 sites say around 120 cals and 3 say anything from 50 cals to 200cals i will go with the 120 , its not perfect but i think it gets you fairly close to the true value of what u need
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Many common foods, like banana are in here. I know you can use the option for grams for banana, check the drop down for your options. If you want to check to make sure the options on MFP are correct, nutritiondata.com is a pretty good source.
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Health Canada's online nutrient file has a searchable database.

http://webprod3.hc-sc.gc.ca/cnf-fce/index-eng.jsp
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Every fruit or vegetable I've searched for has been in the database. Even weird fruits like lychee. They usually have a "100g serving" option so I use that. For example, if I have 157g of strawberries I just use the 100g serving size option and plug it in as "1.57 servings."
  • cfletch123
    Options
    you could go to www.calorieking.com, it shows calories,fat,and carbs. I also have the book called the calorie king. Bought it at a book store. it shows every food including fast food. I use it all the time. the web site is good also. but the book is at my finger tips. Good Luck!
  • cindygretz
    Options
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

USDA nutrition database
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I use McCance and Widdowson's 'The Composition of Foods: Summary Edition (6th Edition)'
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I use this website for the most part. If I don't trust a result, I'll keep checking user submitted results on here until I get one I feel is in the ballpark. For example, I generally will try to ball park in the 500 calorie range for sandwiches, 300+ for soups, 300 for chicken breasts, 130 for a variety of drinks, very low amounts for vegetables, etc.

If I am eating something that is unique and not on here, I'll occasionally break out the dish by item and dissect it down to it's pure elements.

I rarely get fast food, but if I do I'll go onto their website to cross-check the exact calorie amounts for a specific dish.