How do you guys feel about Jillian's response to this?

Options

Replies

• sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    soo basically i burn 108 cals doing the 30 day shred..but its sooo hard!
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think that is an easy and reasonable equation. Especially considering that most people who do her videos probably arent using a site that calculates your burn for you like MFP, and as others have said MFP is often way off on their estimates.
  • pspam
    pspam Posts: 9
    Options
    Pretty decent estimate, but not completely and perfectly accurate like a HRM will be.

The subtle sarcasm of your posts never ceases to bring a smile to my face (as well as the responses from those who bite hook, line, and sinker).
    Yeah, pretty funny. Only working out in a bomb calorimeter would be as close to completely accurate as possible.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It's actually very close to what my HRM gave me when I did 30DS.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good formula. I have always heard that you burn more (and lose faster) when you're heavier, than you do when you only have 5 pounds to lose.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    MFP tends to seriously overestimate the calorie burn for most people. Before I got my HRM for real numbers I would take whatever MFP gave me and subtract at least 25%.

Ditto! :D
  • sotellmedarling
    sotellmedarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I typically take my MFP estimates and divide them in half. For me, there's only about a 10-15 calorie difference between doing that and using Jillian's formula, with Jillian's saying I burn a little more than what I've been estimating.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. When I take my HRM and subtract my BMR plus another 20% for error percentage, it's pretty close to her estimate. I can definitely believe I burn 600 calories per hour if I keep my heart rate around 150, maybe even more. I weigh 316 pounds. It takes a lot to move this body. :)
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think that is probably a good average.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    What if it's an extra 25lbs of muscle, vs an extra 25lbs of fat?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP here: When I do her formula, it says I burn considerably less than what MFP says. About 50-75 calories less. But it makes sense. I think I'll have to log less calories burned. I don't have a HRM. I just cut and paste the original question from her website.

I think that being within 50-75 calories shows quite a bit of accuracy. HRMs are estimates. What we log as calories in our food is estimates. Being off by 50-75 calories, even every day, is not going to harm your progress. This is why some people will shave 25% or so off the total to give a little bit of room. Nothing is within a calorie or two of being completely accurate.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neen6270
    neen6270 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    At least her formula gives you something to go on.
  • ConstanceMarieRuff
    ConstanceMarieRuff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for later.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lgtahoe
    lgtahoe Posts: 96
    Options
    Good info, thanks.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy for an entire hour of intense workout, so when it comes to burning calories, so I happily note that Jillian Michaels wrote in one of her books that if she had the choice between six hours of sleep and a workout on one side and eight hours of sleep on the other, she would not hesitate to pick the eight hours of sleep!

There's little doubt her formula for burning calories during a workout is ok. When that is said though, more and more research is emerging to show that exercise has a negligible impact on weight loss. The kind of calories you eat will lose the pounds, during which the purpose of exercise is to promote fat loss rather than muscle loss.

Why exercise won't make you thin
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/exercise-dieting-public-health