Diet Soda... Brownies??

Options
I was craving chocolate yesterday and went to the store to buy brownie mix and pureed pumpkin. Given the recent pumpkin shortage, I couldn't find any in the store. I improvised and used a can of diet 7-up and they came out delicious, moist and gooey! I baked them in a cupcake tin to make 24 brownie bites.

Diet soda... not just for the cake mix anymore! :tongue:

Replies

• Jenny_Bee
    Jenny_Bee Posts: 102
    Options
    wow, that's so cool! I'll have to try them! I love the creativity and resourcefulness.
  • ashleybell
    Options
    I'va tried the soda cake and it was kind of gross (maybe because they cooked it in the microwave with some tupperware device). Brownies might be better. But seriously... boxed cake mix with a can of soda....? Can we be more unhealthy? That's like the epitome of the Western Diet :wink: .
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it for brownies, but for the box cake, I just use 12 oz water instead of diet soda. I liked the taste better. For those looking for alternatives to using the artificial sweeteners in sodas.
  • volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    Options
    I was craving chocolate yesterday and went to the store to buy brownie mix and pureed pumpkin. Given the recent pumpkin shortage, I couldn't find any in the store. I improvised and used a can of diet 7-up and they came out delicious, moist and gooey! I baked them in a cupcake tin to make 24 brownie bites.

Diet soda... not just for the cake mix anymore! :tongue:

I have wondered if it would work the same as the cake....never remember to try. Thanks for sharing.
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    I'va tried the soda cake and it was kind of gross (maybe because they cooked it in the microwave with some tupperware device). Brownies might be better. But seriously... boxed cake mix with a can of soda....? Can we be more unhealthy? That's like the epitome of the Western Diet :wink: .

I agree that it's not the healthiest, but I'm not trying to do any clean eating... just trying to find a way to lose weight in a realistic way that works for me. I figure if I make it, eat one or two myself and unload the rest on my unsuspecting co-workers I'm okay! :bigsmile:
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Another idea. I make cookies using cake mix and 6 oz of diet pop. they turn out delicious
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    K what are we replacing the soda for? I wanna try!
  • JAPS
    JAPS Posts: 17
    Options
    That sounds great! Thanks for posting :smile:
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    K what are we replacing the soda for? I wanna try!

You just use a box of mix (cake or brownie) and instead of using the stuff the box calls for (eggs, oil, etc) you just mix in a can of diet soda. Then you bake according to the package.
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    I had totally forgotten about doing this!!!! We use to do this all the time with Diet Dr. Pepper when I was in college.