protein shakes

Options
im new to all this so need a little advice.

i have been trying to loose weight but not much as im not overly huge i just want to get rid of my baby belly fat and tone up a little, im nearly hitting my goal and the belly is slowly but surly dissapearing ;) i am starting to exersice a little bit more now that my body is getting use to it 3-5 times a week. cardio and weights.

the question is - does diet protien shake really help you loose weight and burn fat, or is it a waste of money? and if so

-when should i take it?
-can i mix it with semi skimmed milk/skimmed milk as i dont like the taste?
-do i need to take it everyday or just on exercise days?
-do i take it to replace meals/snacks?

im just scared that if i start taking it ill start gaining weight again.

could you also recommend a good brand for woman?

sorry for all the questions =)

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    When? Whenever it's convenient. I drink mine when I get home from the gym after working out.
    Mix with milk? Of course. That's the only way I drink mine!
    Which days? On the days needed to hit your protein goal. I tend to get a decent amount of protein from the food in my diet. But the stuff tastes so dang good that I sort of use it as a reward....if that makes sense.
    Replace meals/snacks? Nah. 1 serving of the stuff I use is only like 120 cals so it's definitely not going to break my calorie bank on a given day.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    A protein shake or protein bar is just a suppliment to your diet. It will not make you lose weight itself... that is done with a calorie deficit. It will not make you burn fat.

A protein shake or bar is simply something to help you reach your protein goals. Real food is always best but sometimes either you don't get enough protein from a meal or it's just not easy to eat another source of protein. Getting enough protein is good ot help you feel full for longer... it is good to help preserve your muscle mass as when you lose weight you lose muscle along with fat and water.
  • franfran1821
    franfran1821 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My protein powder never tastes good. What kind do you use thats yummy?
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    A protein shake or protein bar is just a suppliment to your diet. It will not make you lose weight itself... that is done with a calorie deficit. It will not make you burn fat.

A protein shake or bar is simply something to help you reach your protein goals. Real food is always best but sometimes either you don't get enough protein from a meal or it's just not easy to eat another source of protein. Getting enough protein is good ot help you feel full for longer... it is good to help preserve your muscle mass as when you lose weight you lose muscle along with fat and water.

Great answer. +1
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    A protein shake or protein bar is just a supplement to your diet. It will not make you lose weight itself... that is done with a calorie deficit. It will not make you burn fat.

I think they help if you want a low calorie meal replacement drink to keep you from eating a large meal and also very filling. I also think they're great to have if you are someone that has a sweet tooth. Getting a low carb protein shake like Walker's Diet Meal Replacement or Metrx Ultramyosyn Whey that are low carb, good protein, and have vitamins is great to make low carb snacks with, like low carb recees cups you can use chocolate peanut butter protein shakes with a few other things to make your own snack....(there are plenty of other low carb shakes out there too you could use) . You can also make your own protein bars with it. There are a lot of things you can make using your protein powder that will keep you from binging out on donuts or cakes or whatever your. My sister lives on protein powder for her sweet tooth problems. I'm lucky I just use them for meal replacement drinks, I'm not big on sweets and breads and stuff.

Also since you're looking at ways to help you lose weight a bit better and healthier.
    Consider is Carbquik, almond meal, coconut meal, that you can use for baking in place of flour peanut meal, pecan meal..and using PB2 instead of fat and sugar filled peanut butter.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Metrx Ultramyosyn Whey Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup, cookies and cream, and chocolate. Mixes well and tastes great, and it's NOT filled with sugars.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    A protein shake or protein bar is just a supplement to your diet. It will not make you lose weight itself... that is done with a calorie deficit. It will not make you burn fat.

I think they help if you want a low calorie meal replacement drink to keep you from eating a large meal and also very filling. I also think they're great to have if you are someone that has a sweet tooth. Getting a low carb protein shake like Walker's Diet Meal Replacement or Metrx Ultramyosyn Whey that are low carb, good protein, and have vitamins is great to make low carb snacks with, like low carb recees cups you can use chocolate peanut butter protein shakes with a few other things to make your own snack....(there are plenty of other low carb shakes out there too you could use) . You can also make your own protein bars with it. There are a lot of things you can make using your protein powder that will keep you from binging out on donuts or cakes or whatever your. My sister lives on protein powder for her sweet tooth problems. I'm lucky I just use them for meal replacement drinks, I'm not big on sweets and breads and stuff.

Also since you're looking at ways to help you lose weight a bit better and healthier.
    Consider is Carbquik, almond meal, coconut meal, that you can use for baking in place of flour peanut meal, pecan meal..and using PB2 instead of fat and sugar filled peanut butter.

Sure they can be used as a meat replacement drink however it's still best to get nutrients from real food. Consistantly using a shake as a meal replacement teaches you nothing.
  • kimmcconkey
    kimmcconkey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually have one every day for lunch. With 2 kids under 2 at home I need something quick that I can whip up and eat while trying to feed the kids. My favourite recipe thus far: 2 cups of milk (I use unsweetened chocolate almond milk), 1 cup frozen raspberries, 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder and 1 tbsp of sugar free chocolate pudding mix (just the powder). It makes a huge yummy shake that fills me up till dinner. I'm waiting for the kids to wake up as we speak so I can make one!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I love my shakes! Try the chocolate powder with unsweetened vanilla almond/coconut milk and a teaspoon of instant coffee for an Almond Joyish flavor! Regular coconut milk is ok too but it's not as thick as the almond blend.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

I have optimum nutrition caramel toffee fudge powder. I mix it with almond milk and it tastes amazing
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I mix my body fortress chocolate protein powder with whole organic milk and cold coffee and ice. The coffee cuts the sweetness (which is really necessary IMO) and makes it taste mocha-y... Yummy enough that I would probably buy it from starbucks :)

Edited to say that I use this after workouts, or sometimes for a quick breakfast if I am in a hurry. I wouldn't replace more than one meal a day with it. Real food is better.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have optimum nutrition caramel toffee fudge powder. I mix it with almond milk and it tastes amazing

Where do you buy this? It sounds delightful
  • kimmcconkey
    kimmcconkey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love my shakes! Try the chocolate powder with unsweetened vanilla almond/coconut milk and a teaspoon of instant coffee for an Almond Joyish flavor! Regular coconut milk is ok too but it's not as thick as the almond blend.

Damn, never thought of coconut milk! So gonna try this tomorrow for breakie! Thanks!
  • Kingacat
    Kingacat Posts: 33
    Options
    I have a smoothie for breakfast consisting of milk, blueberries, I banana, scoop of protein shake and a scoop of organic ground almonds, flaxseed and sunflower seeds. I have a glass for breakfast and then take the rest to work to drink during the morning. I did get some strange looks and comments from colleagues in meetings at the beginning:laugh:
    My smoothie keeps me going til lunch and means I can stay clear of the constant supply of cake in the break room!
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    I dont use them as meal replacements.
    I have 7 different flavour protein powders,
    lemon shortcake, cherry bakewell, butterscotch ripple, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and banana.
    i use these in porridge, shakes or yoghurts either fat free greek yoghurt or quark (quark is a fat free soft cheese)
    when you put quark and protein powder together it tastes like a cheesecake without biscuit base, its gorgeous and the quark has lots of protein in.
    even though i have a lot of protein powders i just use them to up my protein, and get a more toned body.. i still have like meat & eggs but using protein powder in what i listed before is just another way of getting high daily protein. its important to have a lot of protein as you burn more cals when exercising and you lose fat not the muscle when you have more protein :)
    the protein works site is a fab site, i just use whey 80, you get a free shaker/blender with your order.
    you can use my friend code and you get 250g free of protein powder your flavour of choice. thats £5 free.

i really reccomend it, all the flavours are gorgeous. they also have other flavours which my mfp friends say are nice too
    thats jaffa cake and apple cinnamon flavour. you can use whatever milk you want, some people even use water but ive never tried that, i use semi skimmed (green top) or 1% fat (orange lid).
    if anyone wants the code for protein works its GW2124.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use shakeology with almond milk. Expensive but they really fill me up for 2-3 hours (it takes me an hour to drink it!) and they taste like milkshakes so I don't carve sweets as much. For me it's a win win, even if they're pretty expensive.

I don't drink it every day though, but when I'm hungry and feel like having something sweet, or just hungry and I know I wouldn't be satisfied with just a snack. Plus I don't have to worry about getting enough vitamins in my diet as they are full of it.

I don't often have protein bars but when I do it's at breakfast when I'm short of time, to keep me full but not too full so I can work out an hour later without feeling weak or hungry.
  • Vikkicmccrory
    Options
    my diet states im getting enough protein everyday but what is the average intake you should be taking whilst exercising?
  • Vikkicmccrory
    Options
    I dont use them as meal replacements.
    I have 7 different flavour protein powders,
    lemon shortcake, cherry bakewell, butterscotch ripple, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and banana.
    i use these in porridge, shakes or yoghurts either fat free greek yoghurt or quark (quark is a fat free soft cheese)
    when you put quark and protein powder together it tastes like a cheesecake without biscuit base, its gorgeous and the quark has lots of protein in.
    even though i have a lot of protein powders i just use them to up my protein, and get a more toned body.. i still have like meat & eggs but using protein powder in what i listed before is just another way of getting high daily protein. its important to have a lot of protein as you burn more cals when exercising and you lose fat not the muscle when you have more protein :)
    the protein works site is a fab site, i just use whey 80, you get a free shaker/blender with your order.
    you can use my friend code and you get 250g free of protein powder your flavour of choice. thats £5 free.

i really reccomend it, all the flavours are gorgeous. they also have other flavours which my mfp friends say are nice too
    thats jaffa cake and apple cinnamon flavour. you can use whatever milk you want, some people even use water but ive never tried that, i use semi skimmed (green top) or 1% fat (orange lid).
    if anyone wants the code for protein works its GW2124.

taking a we look at the website now is the whey 80 better to go for thatthe diet one?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Where do you buy this? It sounds delightful

I bought mine on amazon
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Mocha Cappuccino mixed w/ 8-10 ounces of 1% cow's milk.