Traveling Dad Trying Hard to Be Healthy

Options
Hello all,

My name is Mike and i'm a married father of a 4 year old (and a Golden Retriever). I travel quite a bit for a living so eating healthy has always been a challenge. In December I realized that my weight had gotten out of control...tipping the scales at 215 on a 5'10" frame just wasn't good. My blood pressure was high and I was out of breath whenever I would play with the little man.

I started weight watchers and did pretty well thanks to the iPhone app. Got down to 179 on the way to my goal of 170. (I know, a little exercise would help!)

I found myfitnesspal and decided that I could save a little money each month by leaving weight watchers and trying this. I've had mixed results -- not sure why. I'm back up to about 184. I'm trying to be more disciplined. I'm a snacker and really need to get over that. The bad news is i'm headed on a business trip to Arizona next week. That means a week of hotels and bad food.

Wish me luck.

Mike

Replies

• charbrowne
    charbrowne Posts: 16
    Options
    Check out my blog: www.momsguidetotravel.com - there's a recent article on traveling and eating healthy snacks. Leave a comment and let me know if that helps!!! Good Luck.
  • corrine_manley
    corrine_manley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I have to travel I try to cut my calories by stocking my hotel room fridge with fruits and veggies to snack on. I also grab some lean lunch meat, yogurt, and some 100 calorie snack packs. That way I can control what I'm eating by making it myself. It makes me feel better knowing what's going into my body too compared to all the fast food. Good luck!!! :happy:
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Hi Mike nice to meet you.:flowerforyou:

I have a friend who travels a lot, he is in the pharmaceutical business and he manages to get a workout in by carrying a resistance band in his suit case everywhere he goes.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. We are living in a hotel for a month waiting to move into our house and can only put so much in the tiny fridge. I have regular places that I eat out. I get tired of salads so I look for healthy meals. I know applebees has the under 550 calorie menu, it even has steak, Ruby tuesday has steak and seafood with veggie and a decent salad bar. I don't stray too far from places that I know what's on the menu. If you know you are going somewhere new, do a little research beforehand. I am still losing weight and have been eating out every day. I am just trying to eat the better choices and am skipping the cola. Good luck, I know it's hard.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    HawkeyeGuy Posts: 183
    Options
    Mike - for your son, wife and pup, don't worry about the scale too much. They'd much prefer a healthy and fit husband, dad and master than a skinny unfit one. Don't get me wrong, food is a monster part of the battle, and it is tough on the road (I travel quite a bit, too), but you will be amazed at what some time in your running shoes will do for the heart rate, blood pressure, etc. I have a rare kidney disease that was diagnosed and treated about 9 years ago with chemo / high dose prednisone...toughest thing I did was strap my running shoes on again after a long hiatus based on a bad excuse of my health (it really was just an excuse, and not a reason).

So, you can while traveling eat better. Tell the waiter what you're up to...i.e. "Here's the deal, I'm doing my best to eat right, can you do the following" - then go with egg beaters with no oil, light on cheeses, no pastas, minimal salad dressings on the side, chicken instead of beef (and not breaded). If you REALLY want to do this for the right reasons, you won't miss the foods you think you love after a few weeks. Eat cleaner, work out a bit, and you'll be amazed...and your wife, son and dog will be happy as well.
  • mbweisser
    mbweisser Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone. It's much appreciated.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My husband travels a lot. He buys water for his hotel room and leaves some at his desk as well. He eats a lot of turkey subs for lunches, tries to drink a lot of water to counteract all the sodium in restaurant food. He frequents Applebees with its lower cal menu and he hits the treadmill in the evening Or morning at his hotel. It is so hard, and we attribute a lot of both of our original weight gains to his travelling, Him because of convenience food, and fatty restaurant food, and Me cause i'm stressed with 3 kids and eating worse when he's gone to get thru the day. We stopped this one year ago and we've both maintained over 25 pound loss for one year. I'm nearing my original goal but have since changed my goal as i don't feel as slim as i feel my frame can go and i'm not quite in a healthy BMI. I keep the treats to a min and am really working on my mentality that i don't deserve 'treats' cause dh is away and he is working on the mentality to say no to workplace cake and pizza and hello to broiled fish and salads while travelling. Its such a work in progress! I must say, the exercise has so many other benefits that just giving us more calories to eat too. Sure helps with that sluggish feeling, gives me more energy and even though i'm taking more time to exercise, i get more done.