c25k app....

Options
Hi,
I have downloaded the c25k app....has anyone else done this program who has a lot of weight to still lose? I still have 69lb's to go.... I would appreciate any tips/help. I am a complete novice and have never done any running in fact i shy away from exercise so i'm ultra unfit.... am i taking on too much ???

Replies

• shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi, i got to week 6 Day 1 when i did it last and couldnt seem to get past that. I'm going to try it again because i'm going to run a 5k in July 13. I'm not very fit and have a lot of weight to lose.
  • Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this at the moment. I'm over 200lbs and was a bit like you and never thought I'd be a runner (well I'm still not - more of a jogger really!) but this app has been really helpful. I use it while in the gym on the treadmill; as I never ran beforehand I started off doing each week at least twice so that I felt more comfortable with the running increments. I hope to start week 3 next week which I understand is running for 3 minutes - eeeek! It started off with 60 seconds of running then increases to 90 seconds which I can do quite well now. Lets see how the 3 minutes go!

I don't think you are taking on too much. Just do what you can - if you can't do all of the running sections then just walk - maybe increase the speed or the incline during these periods.

Good luck :happy:
  • GreenStars
    GreenStars Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start Week 6 of this program. I love it! It's really challenging for a former non-runner, but I feel so accomplished when I finish a run! I have a lot of weight to lose too.

I've made a deal with myself that if I ever start one of the workouts and I can't get through all the runs or I can't finish it, I don't progress to the next workout. I only run outside, but have been told that a treadmill is much easier.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • charrisonwms
    charrisonwms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Timing is everything. I am plannning to do a 5k and was looking for the best app to assist me in going from the couch to 5k; there were 2 apps that caught my attention. I decided to go with this C25k, logged into MFP and saw this posting. I am going to take it as confirmation that this is the right one for me. lol I am so excited and praying that I have what it takes to complete it. Health and fitness is my motivation!!!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    I just started week 1 for a second time. The first days out I was only able to run half of the intervals but I DID run them. It was actually funny because I realized that I had forgotten how to run! Before starting spend a week or so perfecting your brisk walk for at least 30 minutes (about 1.5 miles).

I've gleaned a lot from the boards: wear proper footwear, stop if it hurts, and go slow. Stretch after the workout, when you're warm. Repeat any week that you're not comfortable with. This is your journey, not anyone elses, and it's not a time trial.

Temp today is 60 degrees and spring is in the air (after 3 inches of snow yesterday). I just can't wait to go out and walk/run, which I never thought I'd say.
  • Lady_Kayla
    Options
    Hi thank you for taking time to reply to my post....

After i posted it it I was sat thinking "no time like the present" so I got up and DID the c25k !!!

I have to say I was buzzing afterwards, it put me on a total high. I surprised myself I did all the repetitions of jogging albeit very slow and the walking may not have been very birsk. As mentioned above it's a personal journey not a time trial. I didn't stretch off and am paying for it! My shins and thighs are sore. I am going to do the program again on Monday & Wednesday. I agree with not progressing until i have completed each level as it's meant to be 3 times a week... ! So my journey has begun... I am carrying a lot of excess weight and didn't think i would be able to jog for 30 seconds let alone 60 seconds but i did it and every time i thought i couldn't carry on the app kicked in and said "now walk" the 90 seconds of walking gave me time to get myself back together!!

Good luck if you are contemplating doing this .... and don't forget to stretch off , it will save you pain!