irony snacks?

Options
I recently turned veggie and suspect that i've always been slightly anaemic but i was just wondering if there's anything really high in iron and easy to eat (like i won't have to stuff myself with it to get a decent amount of my rda if that makes sense) that i could start eating everyday... other than supplements that is :-) please and thanks

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Spinach, beans, raisins, almonds, broccoli, lentils... Multi-Grain Cheerios.

You'll absorb more iron if you also consume vitamin C with it. Or alcohol. So a big pot of chili, full of beans and tomatoes (for the C) and a nice glass of beer will do you good.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Oh, I was expecting something totally different based on the title.

Ah, well.

Woe to me...
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    This is not what I expected by "irony"..
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    multi grain cheerios are awesome, a cup serving is like 40% of your daily iron needs. i always much on that before i donate blood to make sure i have high enough levels.
    i'm with ya on that though, i have been veg for many years and my irons always low. i did get iron pills, only took one even though it said 2 but it gave me stomach pains. i'd like to try taking it again and see if i can not get pains because that would be awesome lol
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options

Ah, well.

Woe to me...

^^^ Not alone, my friend.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    PBR
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Ah, well.

Woe to me...

bahhaha me three, got a good laugh out of it though, and i'm still sitting here trying to figure out what an ironic snack would be.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost 3 years and get 85-100+% of my iron from food sources. Fortifed breads, kale, oatmeal, cream of wheat, quinoa, Gardein faux meat products, blackstrap moleasses, beans (especially lentils) & snap peas are all good sources. Remember to also eat vitamin C along with iron to help with the absorption. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas.
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    multi grain cheerios are awesome, a cup serving is like 40% of your daily iron needs. i always much on that before i donate blood to make sure i have high enough levels.
    i'm with ya on that though, i have been veg for many years and my irons always low. i did get iron pills, only took one even though it said 2 but it gave me stomach pains. i'd like to try taking it again and see if i can not get pains because that would be awesome lol

Thanks for the tip about the cheerios. Last time I gave blood they had to check me twice because my iron was a little low the first time.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Ah, well.

Woe to me...

bahhaha me three, got a good laugh out of it though, and i'm still sitting here trying to figure out what an ironic snack would be.
    Same here! :)

But since I'm here... I have the same issue- so thanks for to the OP n

Taso what is PBR?
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    This is not what I expected by "irony"..

bump...:bigsmile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Ah, well.

Woe to me...

Taso what is PBR?

Pabst Blue Ribbon. Official drink of the hipsters.

I was trying to make a funny and post an "ironic" snack :wink:
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that licorice has iron. About 25 g had 6 % of my requirements. Not much , but it shows how a little bit of iron from different sources adds up. I also know dried apricots are a good one two. So if you like nuts and dried fruits, add these to the mix.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

Ah, well.

Woe to me...

Taso what is PBR?

Pabst Blue Ribbon. Official drink of the hipsters.

I was trying to make a funny and post an "ironic" snack :wink:

Wouldn't that be Iron City Beer? Just about as rot-gut as PBR.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Seaweed. I keep evangelizing for nori as a snack. 1 sheet of nori supposedly gives you 2% of your daily iron needs, and only 10 kcal of energy. Also high in iodine.

Some nuts and seeds have a lot of iron too.

And of course kale chips.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=70