Do you eat your calories earned by exercising?

Options
Do you all eat your extra calories you earn exercising or just your goal calories? I have been eating my extra 300 or 400 exercise calories - so then I can eat 1500 calories - is this how most of you do it?

Replies

• clubbybear
    clubbybear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat most or all of them.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    In my experience, MFP tends to over calculate calories burned, so I usually set mine to 50 minutes if I was exercising for an hour. After that, I usually eat back 75% of it. I'd be a bit cautious about it if you were eating 1600+ calorie intake, but if you're 1200ish calorie intake, I would definitely eat them back.
  • chaaalgeo
    chaaalgeo Posts: 70
    Options
    I eat nearly all probably leave maybe 100 just in case of over estimating what i have burnt off
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I try to leave some of the calories.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my exercise calories but don't rely on the apparently over generous MFP calculator to tell me how many. Back when I did, I ate 2/3rds of them.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use them as "bonus" calories for days when I want something extra or if I am hungry and already at my limit.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat them all, but I usually make sure to at least eat up to 1300 calories gross.
  • 0408boys
    0408boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about 1/2 back.
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    YES! Or else I would be starving.

Like others though, I think MFP over estimates the calories burned. So, if I run for 40 minuets at a 9MPH pace, I put it in MFP at a 10MPH pace, so that calories burned are lower.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Yes, I eat them. ALL OF THEM. ALL THE TIME.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I give myself "permission" to do it, but I eat back only part of them the majority of the time. But always enough to net to at least 1200 calories.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I use other sources to determine calories burned because MFP overestimates.
  • contentedmummy
    contentedmummy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I allow for a small buffer in case there's a margin of error calculating my exercise or food. But generally, you should eat them. There's also other threads on this very topic with some good insights from people. Worth a gander. :-)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I eat them. I use a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate number than MFP--usually have to put in a lower number of minutes than I actually ran to make the entry match what my HRM shows.
  • hollygoddess
    hollygoddess Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose, so NO I don't. At goal weight I plan to :-)
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Nope. I know the numbers are higher than I burn, but, I have fun recording them anyways (I sometimes try to "net" negative calories).
    But, I personally work out as much as I do to increase my fitness levels to burn extra calories, not to eat more. That's my goals, I'm happy with the outcome for far.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back mine. It is what works for me.
  • corinnecurcio
    corinnecurcio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You betcha! In fact, if I know I'm going to be eating more calories for whatever reason (eating out, or a particular dinner that is higher in calories than usual) I make it a point the exercise enough to cover those calories
  • Scottg97
    Scottg97 Posts: 9
    Options
    I haven't yet..........but it's nice to know they are there.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat them. I try not to always eat ALL of them, in case MFP has overestimated.