new no meat

Options
Hi, I am Summer I am a currently undergoing chemo therapy this week should be my last treatment I decided last week about 5 days ago I was going to stop eating meat and I have and it has not been hard at all and I feel wonderful there are many things out there pre made you can eat without meat. I came across this sight and figured I just start counting my calories also I have not started excercising yet due to the cancer being a lipo sarcoma and was located in the neck and still healing from chemo and radiation sometimes its hard to breathe but once i heal i will be back on the path of exercising and good eating habits.

Replies

• wendyhill161
    Options
    Hi Summer, I became a vegetarian at the start of the year, I was a bit lethargic at first, until my son said to have a glass of orange juice in the morning, since I have started doing this i have felt amazing. Good luck with your health all the best Wendy
  • summerfaith24
    Options
    Thank You Wendy. Have you noticed any weight loss with cutting out the meat ? I decided one day just to stop eating meat after a chemo treatmeant because it was making my stomache turn and im still not craving it. My problem is the sweets thats gonna be a hard one for me to stop..
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    hi! welcome.. i became a veggie almost a month ago and i already feel great and have lost some weight but it did kind of coincide with eating healthier too so i can't really be sure if it had any impact on that front.... hope the last blast of chemo goes well :-)
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi Summer,

I cut and pasted a post I made earlier in the week introducing myself. Also take a look at my profile. You're welcome to add me as a friend :flowerforyou:

I know a lot about eating healthy and also alternative healing. I'm sorry you've had such a rough time as of late. But you're on the mend so stay positive.

As far as diet is concerned . . . I've been meeting many people lately that are "junk food vegetarians". It's great to ditch the animal products BUT it's important to then eat good whole foods . . . and as much organic as humanly possible. I actually know one "vegetarian" that doesn't eat any vegetables, lol. Craziness. Well read on and let me know if you have any questions.

Warm regards,
    Judy

Hello Everyone!

I've been on a quest to eat healthy since I was in my early 20's, for over 30 years now. This means I eat mostly organic, whole, unprocessed foods. I do eat canned organic white, black, pinto, etc beans. And I sometimes eat Annie's canned soups. But for the most part nothing out of a can or box for me. Oh and how could I forget I do eat jarred organic olives, artichoke hearts, and roasted red peppers. But I read labels to make sure anything I buy that's prepackaged is completely free of any undesirable ingredients . . . and I only buy these items from our local, privately owned health food store. I don't trust the organic foods from the big box stores. Some of those organic foods come from China and are actually NOT organic or good for you!

Oh and since August 2012 I've been eating mainly vegan. Since then I've also stopped eating flour based products, which means I don't eat bread, cake, pies, cookies, muffins, pasta, etc. (I do eat Ezekiel brand flour-less sprouted grain bread and rice pasta).

My diet consists mainly of organic fresh fruits, berries, veggies, lentils, legumes, seeds, nuts, cold pressed olive oil, coconut oil, raw honey, coconut milk, cider vinegar, other organic vinegars, Ezekiel bread, oats, quinoa, rice, millet, barley, tempeh, miso and seaweed. I'm very fortunate because my husband has been an avid, organic gardener for the past 30 years! We even have a greenhouse for year round gardening, fruit trees, berry bushes. He raises chickens for eggs and also for meat and used to raise beef with the neighbor. Now of course, the eggs and meat aren't getting eaten as much because I'm eating vegan and the three kids have flown the nest. I can, freeze, dehydrate, and cold cellar my husbands bumper crops each summer. He also sells some.

There have been times in my life when I've been in great shape . . . at goal weight and physically active. But I've been sedentary for the past 10 years and as a result I gained around 40 lbs. I switched to a vegan diet in August (7 months ago) and lost 10 lbs without counting calories or exercising. This has given me the drive to keep going and I've started to exercise, count calories and I found MFP! I ordered a Bellicon Rebounder and can't wait to start using it daily. I also have a good rowing machine (my sons used to be on the crew team in middle/high school), some free weights, and a yoga DVD. I really need to find a good yoga class in my area. AND once I'm in better shape, I can't wait to start rollerblading again!!!!!

One thing I am worried about is my skin snapping back when I lose weight. It did snap back the other two times I dropped 30 lbs in my life, but I'm, ahem, older now. I don't have stretch marks thankfully. Still, I don't want to have a turkey neck and loosey goosey skin everywhere! Any advice in this area would be welcome.

I'm looking for like minded people to befriend

Judy from Connecticut/NYC
  • luciadel
    luciadel Posts: 3
    Options
    Sounds awesome!! Keep up the great work!! :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten meat in 13 years and I'm also supposed to go through interferon (I'm not quite sure if it's considered chemotherapy or just a biologic response modifier) but I just don't feel ready yet. Feel free to add.