Eat more to weigh less - Help Needed

Options
Hi! So my backstory...

I'm 37, weigh 186 pounds 5ft 3 and would like to lose 36 pounds to start with. I've been here for a year and I lost 14 pounds by following the MFP plan. I think it gave me 1450 calories to lose 1 pound a week. I've since realised that I can't exist on this much, I need more food!

Anyway my TDEE is 2174

- 15% = 1848

So... I also plan to do 3 x 60 minutes cycling and 1 x 60 min swimming a week. I'm not a running person ( well not yet). :D

Will I lose weight this way?

I don't have to lose weight fast. As long as I keep it off. I want something realistic.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have been following this for a week and have lost 1.4 pounds this week. So, Is this working???

I want the weight to come off slow and steady and stay off, also should I start lifting weights?

I have 2 pairs of dumbells 1.5 kg and 3kg.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Also, please add me if you need encouragement, I've been logging in almost every day for a year. I'm here for the long run. :-D
  • Briszler75
    Options
    Can anyone help?
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Eating at that calorie level you should lose about a pound every 10-11 days. Also, any kind of resistance or strength training will help keep more of your lean body mass intact (so most of what you lose should be fat). Plus all the other benefits of resistance training including preventing osteoporosis etc...
  • cherish90
    cherish90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I've just come across your post and thought I'd comment :) I'm a level 3 gym instructor and am studying a BSc Degree in Applied Sport Science so I may be able to offer you some friendly advice.

I'm not sure how much you may or may not know so I'll just post some tips up.

Firstly, the golden rule is calories in vs calories out. If you are in a calorie deficit you will always lose weight, even if you're just sat on your bum all day as your body continuously burns calories to run, regardless of any activities you take part in. This is known as your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and can be calculated in a number of ways, the most convenient for most being google! Though I couldn't tell you how reliable this is.

Secondly, (and part of the reason why I can't account for googles reliability when calculating your basal metabolic rate) is the speed your metabolism works. Copious studies have shown that eating smaller portions more frequently (say a small plate of food 6 times a day) is much more efficient for your body (in terms of losing weight) than 3 larger meals. I won't bore you with the science as to why but basically if you deprive your body of regular feeding it goes into 'survival mode' and holds on to the fat stored within your body rather than readily using it as fuel for your activities. For this reason it's recommended that if your calorie cutting you do it step by step rather than just one day decide your going to cut a chunk of what would be your normal calorie intake, your body is an amazing machine but it takes time to adjust and will work better if given a routine.

I did come across something called the alternative day fasting diet which has proven successful for many, and because your not restricting yourself for any more than 1 day it does not seem to have a mass impact on the speed of your metabolism. There's a BBC documentary on it if you're interested but I warn you it takes a will of steel on the fasting days (where you can only consume 500 calories), and it made me gorge on foods I most definably shouldn't of on the "feeding" days. It is also not recommended that take part in high intensity exercise on these fasting days for obvious reasons.

As for your exercise that sounds fantastic. 60 mins+ of low-moderate intensity exercise is needed for maximal fat burning (as fat takes the longest to break down and use for energy, again more science I won't bore you with :P), cycling is great fun (especially in the summer) and swimming requires use of a lot of the muscles in the body, so if you can do that 4-5 times a week you'll be on a roll :)
    If you start to find continuous exercise a bit tedious look into something called high intensity interval training, though I wouldn't advise this until you've built a good cardiovascular foundation to start with.

Weights are great for toning and of course burning more calories, but 1.5- 3kg isn't really going to do diddly. I'd recommend (if you are inexperienced with weights) lifting 50-60% of your one repetition maximum, aim to do between 8-10 reps for 3 sets with 2 minutes rest in between, then after a few weeks aim for 70-80% of your one rep max. You may be able to use the 3kg for bicep curls or tricep extensions but having never met you I couldn't judge.
    Increasing your muscle mass will also increase your BMR as muscle requires the more calories than fat mass to run so it's win win! Integrating this with your cardiovascular exercise will also stop you from losing good weight (muscle), as muscle weighs more than fat, so the scales could be misleading. For optimum results it's not recommended that you train weights and CV in the same day.

Green tea has also been proven to be a metabolic booster, but the taste isn't for some :P

Hope this helps.

Cherish
  • Briszler75
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help. I think I'm on the right track. Yes I've heard of HIIT and the 5:2 diet. Will see how I get on and report back thanks. :-D

Oh, and I really like green tea so I'll try to drink more of it.
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I've just come across your post and thought I'd comment :) I'm a level 3 gym instructor and am studying a BSc Degree in Applied Sport Science so I may be able to offer you some friendly advice.

Firstly, the golden rule is calories in vs calories out. If you are in a calorie deficit you will always lose weight, even if you're just sat on your bum all day as your body continuously burns calories to run, regardless of any activities you take part in. This is known as your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and can be calculated in a number of ways, the most convenient for most being google! Though I couldn't tell you how reliable this is.

Secondly, (and part of the reason why I can't account for googles reliability when calculating your basal metabolic rate) is the speed your metabolism works. Copious studies have shown that eating smaller portions more frequently (say a small plate of food 6 times a day) is much more efficient for your body (in terms of losing weight) than 3 larger meals. I won't bore you with the science as to why but basically if you deprive your body of regular feeding it goes into 'survival mode' and holds on to the fat stored within your body rather than readily using it as fuel for your activities. For this reason it's recommended that if your calorie cutting you do it step by step rather than just one day decide your going to cut a chunk of what would be your normal calorie intake, your body is an amazing machine but it takes time to adjust and will work better if given a routine.

I did come across something called the alternative day fasting diet which has proven successful for many, and because your not restricting yourself for any more than 1 day it does not seem to have a mass impact on the speed of your metabolism. There's a BBC documentary on it if you're interested but I warn you it takes a will of steel on the fasting days (where you can only consume 500 calories), and it made me gorge on foods I most definably shouldn't of on the "feeding" days. It is also not recommended that take part in high intensity exercise on these fasting days for obvious reasons.

As for your exercise that sounds fantastic. 60 mins+ of low-moderate intensity exercise is needed for maximal fat burning (as fat takes the longest to break down and use for energy, again more science I won't bore you with :P), cycling is great fun (especially in the summer) and swimming requires use of a lot of the muscles in the body, so if you can do that 4-5 times a week you'll be on a roll :)
    If you start to find continuous exercise a bit tedious look into something called high intensity interval training, though I wouldn't advise this until you've built a good cardiovascular foundation to start with.

Weights are great for toning and of course burning more calories, but 1.5- 3kg isn't really going to do diddly. I'd recommend (if you are inexperienced with weights) lifting 50-60% of your one repetition maximum, aim to do between 8-10 reps for 3 sets with 2 minutes rest in between, then after a few weeks aim for 70-80% of your one rep max. You may be able to use the 3kg for bicep curls or tricep extensions but having never met you I couldn't judge.
    Increasing your muscle mass will also increase your BMR as muscle requires the more calories than fat mass to run so it's win win! Integrating this with your cardiovascular exercise will also stop you from losing good weight (muscle), as muscle weighs more than fat, so the scales could be misleading. For optimum results it's not recommended that you train weights and CV in the same day.

Green tea has also been proven to be a metabolic booster, but the taste isn't for some :P

Hope this helps.

Cherish

Great post . Thanks for sharing +1
  • wilki089
    wilki089 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider may be the types of food you are eating. It's natural for your body to signal that you are hungry if you are not getting the nutrients you need.
    For example: If you are eating too many carbs or sugars and not getting enough protien or nutrients from veggies you may eat 2000cals and still be hungry. I find the more healthy I eat the less hungry I am because my body is getting what it needs. If I eat unhealthy foods I crave more an hour or 2 later.
  • Briszler75
    Options
    One other thing to consider may be the types of food you are eating. It's natural for your body to signal that you are hungry if you are not getting the nutrients you need.
    For example: If you are eating too many carbs or sugars and not getting enough protien or nutrients from veggies you may eat 2000cals and still be hungry. I find the more healthy I eat the less hungry I am because my body is getting what it needs. If I eat unhealthy foods I crave more an hour or 2 later.

OK thanks. I eat weetabix, porridge or bran flakes in the morning with semi skimmed milk and a banana. A wholemeal sandwich for lunch most of the time with tuna and sweetcorn, or houmous or cottage cheese, then an apple or other fruit, yoghurt and then my main meal is dinner which is normally chicken or salmon or veggie with rice or pasta or noodles, usually 75g (dry weight) and as much veggies as I can handle.

:)
  • inshapeeasy
    Options
    Hey Yona,

This is what I would do. Eat more fruits and vegetables with fiber, "green stuff". The fiber in the meals will help you fill fuller. Eat more complex carbohydrates that will help regulate blood sugar levels so that you get less cravings. If you eat "clean" you can have a few more hundred calories. Also if you workout a little bit harder, burning more calories, you can allow your self a bit more. With the correct workout program, i believe that you can lose at least 2 pounds per week without a problem
  • Briszler75
    Options
    Hey Yona,

This is what I would do. Eat more fruits and vegetables with fiber, "green stuff". The fiber in the meals will help you fill fuller. Eat more complex carbohydrates that will help regulate blood sugar levels so that you get less cravings. If you eat "clean" you can have a few more hundred calories. Also if you workout a little bit harder, burning more calories, you can allow your self a bit more. With the correct workout program, i believe that you can lose at least 2 pounds per week without a problem

What do you mean by complex carbs? Could you give me some examples please? Thanks.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    The user who said that 1.5 to 3 kg won't do much-well, that depends. I started with these two weight two years ago. So, if you can do no more than 15 reps with 3 kg for the bicep curl, those are fine.
    Also, the whole 'fat burning zone' thing is utter nonsense. 60min of medium intesity is not better than 30 of HIIT for burning fat. HIIT should be followed by more resting time and fewer times per week as not lose muscle. But: I think that overall, what matters is to do what you like better. That way you won't quit.

I'm also in for the long run, I'd love to be friends! :)
  • inshapeeasy
    Options
    Hi Yona,

Complex carbs are one's that "balance" out the blood sugar fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains

Like these http://www.isefitness.com/nutrition
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Hello.

Hope this helps.

Cherish

I started to wonder at " six meals a day" , you lost me at " survival mode " . You completely lost me at alternate day fasting.
    OP, please do some research, it REALLY is as simple as eating at a proper calorie deficit. Not too much, not too little. You could eat Twinkies and lose weight, as long as you eat at a deficit. Exercise is helpful in many ways, but not necessary for weight loss.
  • succubaeangel
    Options

I started to wonder at " six meals a day" , you lost me at " survival mode " . You completely lost me at alternate day fasting.
    OP, please do some research, it REALLY is as simple as eating at a proper calorie deficit. Not too much, not too little. You could eat Twinkies and lose weight, as long as you eat at a deficit. Exercise is helpful in many ways, but not necessary for weight loss.

lol, I agree. I recall losing weight while eating heavy cream cake. Not that what do you eat doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter for weight loss.
  • cherish90
    cherish90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    All of my information has come the results of peer reviewed articles based on a database called SPORTDiscus. Yes you could eat Twinkies and still lose weight but what weight would this include? Fat-free mass such as muscle, which I'm assuming you don't want to lose for reasons I've already previously stated. Also just because the number on the scales may be making you feel better I'm pretty sure if you followed a deficit that didn't consist of the correct nutrients (as some have mentioned) you'd quickly become deficient, making you feel pretty negative in terms of both mood state and physical condition (from fatigue ad tiredness to more complicated conditions such as atherosclerosis). In addition to this, exercise and diet in combination have been proven to be the most effective way to lose weight, compared to either in isolation.

If you're lost of confused on anything I've said feel free to ask.
    Everyone goes about things their own way, and the best plan is one that sticks and feels enjoyable.
    I don't want to start a debate I just came across this post and thought I would impart some knowledge to help. Like all knowledge whether it's used or not is up to each and every individual that might come across it, but at least it's there to be utilised if they want to.