Walking App/Website suggestions?

Options
So here's what I want to do: I want to be able to choose a course for myself to walk, without the map defaulting to the quickest/shortest route. Something where I can decide the exact course, and not have it try to map it for me. Mainly I want to do this so I can track how far I walked, and from there figure out my speed/pace.

First I just tried Google Maps, but it kept trying to find me the quickest/most direct route to my destination, and when I tried to drag the route elsewhere, it would default to something else and wouldn't let me change it to the "long way".

Then after a quick search I found MapMyWalk.com, and they were a little bit better, but since they used Google Maps, it tended to do the same thing--kept trying to tell me where I "should" walk, instead of letting me choose my own route. It was very frustrating to get it to do what I wanted it to do...

So does anyone know of an app/website that will do this? And doesn't require a GPS or anything? I can continue searching, but I'd rather just cut to the chase if someone has a good recommendation...

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest Runkeeper, but you'd need GPS activated on your phone in order for it to work. But, it'll map your route and tell you your speed/pace.

Sorry I can't be more help.
  • kbam17
    kbam17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/. It works through Google Maps, too, but you plot each point and it just connects the dots. It will only tell you how far you've gone, though. You have to calculate your speed yourself:

(miles walked)/[(minutes walked)/60]

I hope this is what you're looking for!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Without GPS a smartphone app won't be able to pinpoint your location well enough to be accurate. You could try www.runningmaps.com. It works very well, but expects you to travel in straight lines. There isn't a straight line in my neighborhood so I have lots of points in the route but I drove it to verify the mileage and it was accurate.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper, but it uses GPS on the phone. However, you can pull up the computer interface for it and plan out your walks, and you can even search for existing routes that other users in your area have created and follow along those.