Does this burn sound accurate?

Options
So I just bought my first HRM yesterday -- Polar FT4. I've programmed it with my info and tried it out for the first time today. I'm just curious if the estimated calorie burn sounds about accurate, because it seems a little high to me.

My info -- 5'6", 132 lbs, age 23. I've never really worked out...ever...so this is all new to me.

At the gym today I rode the stationary bike ~25 minutes and the HRM has me burning 239 calories. I also started C25K (day 1) and for 30 minutes on the treadmill (speed 3.5-7 walking / 4.8-9 jogging) it has me burning 341 calories.

So for an hour at the gym, I burnt 580 calories. Does that sound accurate? I feel like that sounds high for someone of my size, but I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly with the HRM.

Replies

• PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can check the replies later. Mine tends to give me way more calories burnt than I feel is accurate, but I'm not sure how to check it. I'm considering making an appointment with my doctor's sports and fitness department to get a better VO2max check done.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Those numbers seem close to what I am getting if I ride the bike and use the treadmill. I am also doing couch to 5k but in week 4. I am walking 3.5 and running 5.2. I am 217.5 lbs 5 10 and 36 years old.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    dreadmill sounds a little high for 30 minutes, as you probably only covered about two miles or so. It sounds more like a 3+ mile burn.

I weigh ~ 180 and I burn ~ 125 - 130 per mile.
  • EmmaLA16
    EmmaLA16 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That's only slightly higher than mine records (I've got the FT4) and I'm 38, so it should be about right.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Sounds accurate to me. I have the polar ft4 too and burn anywhere between 250-380 for a half hr depending on my intensity. I am only 4'11 tho and around 125 pounds.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    dreadmill sounds a little high for 30 minutes, as you probably only covered about two miles or so. It sounds more like a 3+ mile burn.

I remember the treadmill reading 3.5-4ish miles, I can't remember exactly.
  • pteryndactyl
    Options
    Thanks for the answers everyone! :)

I just don't really have much to compare to, so I wasn't sure if this sounded right. I just wanted to make sure it's in the right ballpark so I don't burn too much/eat too little/whatever.
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do think it sounds high. I burn about 8-9 calories per mile running at 5.7-6.5 intervals for 25 minutes. I am 5'6" and weigh 165.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    general rule of thumb is for moderate cardio you burn 10-15 calories per minute of elevated hear rate (120+) more intense more calories...distance plays less role than time
  • pteryndactyl
    Options
    Well, my heart rate was pretty high -- it peaked at 197 (jogging intervals, lol) and was around 165 otherwise?
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    base on 30 min of treadmill you averaged about 12 calories per minute which sounds about right.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    sounds pretty close to me.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Something doesn't add up then. To get 3 miles in 30 minutes you have to run 10:00 pace (6 MPH dreadmill) the entire time. 4 miles in 30 minutes is 7:30 pace (8 MPH dreadmill).

I might have read your post wrong, but if you running 5MPH (12:00 mile) at the fastest, then the most you could have covered is ~ 2.5 miles. Add some walking in there and you may be more like 2 miles.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Just for info. At the end of week 4. I went 2.30 miles on the treadmill.
  • pteryndactyl
    Options

Something doesn't add up then. To get 3 miles in 30 minutes you have to run 10:00 pace (6 MPH dreadmill) the entire time. 4 miles in 30 minutes is 7:30 pace (8 MPH dreadmill).

I might have read your post wrong, but if you running 5MPH (12:00 mile) at the fastest, then the most you could have covered is ~ 2.5 miles. Add some walking in there and you may be more like 2 miles.

Y'know the more I think about it, I think I was remembering my cycling distance, not treadmill. Whooops. Sorry! That makes more sense.

I'm just going to assume this is ~generally correct since it's based off my stats and heart rate. I don't need to lose weight so I don't need it to be exact, I just want the general figures.