...out of my cold, dead hands...

Options
So, I was at the grocery store today shopping and because i'm trying to make healthier choices, i'm reading labels. I really am trying to make positive changes, and there are somethings I can just live without in the name of a skinnier new me. However, there is clearly something I am not willing to give up...

I was eye-balling the turkey bacon. I have never had turkey bacon. Turkey bacon doesn't sound appealing. Turkey bacon doesn't even look like look like real bacon. So right there, right in the middle of the grocery store, I had a revelation. I am not on that much of a diet that i'll eat just stuff to save an extra 50 calories!

What's the one thing you are not willing to substitute?

Replies

• aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    My list would be shorter of things I am willing to substitute.
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    Cheese. Have you ever tried reduced fat cheese?

No thanks.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and alcohol are my biggest downfalls but I'm doing well to limit them
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I've never tried turkey bacon and absolutely refuse! I had turkey sausage one time and couldn't stand it. It's just wrong! Do not mess with breakfast meat!!!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Cheese and bacon, for sure. I'm betting there are others I'm not immediately thinking of, but those top my list by far.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Bacon, definitely. I think 45cals a slice is a bargain. And real butter; I don't use enough to cause a serious issue and it adds so much flavor. Oh, and real mayonnaise.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    coffee and tea. I just really like those. Granted, I've switched to Truvia sweetner for coffee and much less creamer than I used to, and I don't drink nearly as much hot tea as before because I gotta have real sugar in it and usually a little milk. But I still want to have those regularly, and coffee almost daily. I just fit them in.
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    Turkey bacon/sausage isn't that bad, actually. You just have to adjust your expectations, hahaha :)
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I gave up substituting and do well with limiting. I'm not good with doing without. i figure as long I I can fit it into my caloric allowance it fits my diet. PORK BACON FITS!!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    As said the list would be shorter of what I am willing to sub. That said I like turkey bacon for its own merit not as a sub for bacon.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    Cheese. Have you ever tried reduced fat cheese?

No thanks.

I guess cheese would be another on my list. I used to eat tons, now I just try and limit my intake to "less than the whole block"!
  • hulahooper17
    Options
    Any kind of dairy dessert. I refuse to buy some chemically Cool Whip or low-fat ice cream just to make my dessert healthier. It tastes weird and unsatisfying. I'd rather have a smaller amount of the real stuff and actually enjoy it.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. Or ice cream. (Real ice cream, not reduced fat or any of that crap.) Ideally, chocolate ice cream. Those two things will go into my mouth at least once a week for the rest of my life :P
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Butter!!!!

And I came to the same decision about bacon, in part b/c my husband won't eat turkey bacon but also b/c the calorie difference is not that huge.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Cheese. And ice cream. Give me the Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry's. I'm fine with only eating 1/4 cup at a time, it's worth it :bigsmile:
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    REAL mayo... low fat or fat free is just absolutely disgusting! AND they are much higher in sodium. I can exercise away a few extra calories, but I cant do anything about going over on sodium.

Also gonna drop margarine and go back to real butter. Did you know that some margarines contain PLASTIC!?!?! Butter tastes better too and its natural!!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Sugar. I only use it in my coffee for the most part, but I will not use artificial sweeteners.
  • KatyCrum6969
    KatyCrum6969 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. I know dark chocolate is "better for you" but lol no.
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't substitute anything.. I need to learn how to eat the foods that I like sensibly so that I lose and don't gain again.. A radical change in my overall diet would be setting myself up for ultimate failure..

I will say that I've added some things that I find I do like.. Nonfat yogurt, for instance.. and, I am eating more fruit than I did.. It helps with the sweet tooth that I tend to develop when I'm trying to lose weight..