9 weeks minimal results

Options
I started exercising the first week/ second week of January and I've lost 10lbs resulting in one size. I started the first 2 weeks doing cardio x 3xs/week, pilates x2, and belly dance x1. The next 2 I started running 6 days/week with exercise. Since February I follow this workout schedule:

Monday
30 minutes cardio
Lower body weights
belly dance

Tuesday
30 minutes cardio
Upper body weights
Pilates

Wednesday
Zumba

Thursday
30 minutes cardio
Lower body weights
Pilates

Friday
30 minutes intense cardio with30 minute bike ride to gym
Upper body weights

Saturday
Same as Friday with lower body

Sunday
Drills for belly dance
30 minute bike to gym
Upper body weights

When I started my clothes were tight and I often wore pants 2 times a week because they fit better the second time (size 14 at 5'6.5). Now I wear a size 12 in stores but my old comfortable size 12s are still tight! I eat about 1450 calories a day and just upped that from 1250 mid February. Regarding inches, I lost 2 at my waist and hips and nothing on bust, calves, and .5 upper arms ( I forgot upper thighs when I started). Ppl say I look tone then say something like " keep going", which makes me feel like a fat cow... I didn't start exercising to loose weight specifically... I wanted something to do after work, but I am body conscious and am feeling down when I see all these weight loss ads/stories on google about several pant sizes in 30 days or drop 1 in two weeks. I guess I want to know if anyone else works out a lot with slow results in regards to size?

---note: I acknowledge I am stronger, more flexible, and have better endurance now.

----Kay

Replies

• drewunalkat
    Options
    you are loosing weight, but your are probably gaining muscle as they grow stronger and more dense. don't worry, you won't look muscly. but you are tonight them. muscle weights more than fat.

secondly, just stick at it. have a rest day though, or else you will wear yourself out - training isn't fun when you feel like poop.

try eat healthy food, that are non processed too. the chemicals in some foods can cause weight gain - even with a calorie deficit.

i would say don't do so much though. you need to let your body heal.

don't worry about the weight loss ads. most are scams.
  • amariecruz89
    amariecruz89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great! You're staying active and making healthy choices, be proud of that. You've lost inches too, that should be encouraging :)

I started working out 6 days a week (from barely working out at all) at the end of January. I lost a 15 pounds within just a few weeks but then it slowed down. I know that is partly from muscle gain though. I have a long way to go even to just be at a healthy place physically. I remind myself every time I start feeling discouraged that losing weight and toning is a process. It will take time and I need to celebrate the fact that I am so much more healthier than I was back in January.

Do you take pictures to keep track of your progress? I made sure I started doing that too. Every week I use Instacollage to take pictures of the same key areas so I can at least see the difference even when the scale doesn't have much to show. Every week might be too often for some people though, you may want to every couple weeks or so.

Be sure to drink lots of water too! :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Most of your weight loss will come from diet. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. It's great to workout but you can also overdo it. Your body needs to time to rest and repair. I'd take at least one day a week and do no exercise to give your body and muscles a break. Running every day is an injury waiting to happen.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I started at the end of Dec. lost 12lbs and 0 sizes. So I don't think that those ads are for real or at least healthy. So yeah its gonna be slow be patient you will get there don't be in a big hurry.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started exercising the first week/ second week of January and I've lost 10lbs resulting in one size. I didn't start exercising to loose weight specifically... I wanted something to do after work, but I am body conscious and am feeling down when I see all these weight loss ads/stories on google about several pant sizes in 30 days or drop 1 in two weeks. I guess I want to know if anyone else works out a lot with slow results in regards to size?

---note: I acknowledge I am stronger, more flexible, and have better endurance now.

----Kay

Hi Kay!

First of all, congrats and great work! You are so much healthier now than you were before, which is awesome. :)

Your weight loss is at a healthy speed, about a pound a week, it looks like? If you lose much more than that a week it is not a sustainable loss (it will come back when you have stopped whatever drastic change you made to lose that much). Those weight loss ads are not realistic or healthy.

You are doing great and your progress is at a good speed!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi Kay, those are not "minimal" results, those are reasonable results. I agree with the previous poster who said nutrition is more important for weight loss. Exercise is not enough, but it looks like you are doing well with food. But I hope you will adjust your expectations in terms of timeline. I hate to see someone who is doing so well beating herself up about it!

And to answer your question, yes I lose frighteningly slowly. I realized the key is patience, and not backsliding, you can get there!!!