Pre-diabetic

Options
Hello, I am new to this website. I was wondering since I am pre-diabetic. Does any one know if i need to eliminate bread all together? or only eat whole grain breads if i do have it?

Replies

• _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I actually was just told last week that I was a pre-diabetic...they just told me overall that I needed to modify my diet...they didn't tell me that I needed to cut one specific thing out...just overall I needed to watch the carbs b/c they turn into sugar...watch the sweets, soft drinks, anything high in sugar or that turns to sugar... so I would say that everything is ok in moderation... I wouldn't eat bread everyday... and when you can eat whole grains instead of white bread... but on occasion it would be ok... That's just going on what they told me last week... Good luck to you!
  • missyp43
    missyp43 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you so much. I've been searching the internet for websites and learning what kind of foods are good and what foods to avoid. Good luck to you also. :o)
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Your doctor was remiss to not give you guidelines!
    Try here:
    http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/?loc=DropDownFF-whatcanieat

My son has Type 1 diabetes, and I can tell you that a low carb, high fiber diet really helps even out blood sugar. We love Dave's Killer Bread Light, Flat Out Light wraps, and Thomas Light english muffins. When we calculate carbs for his insulin, we are allowed to subtract fiber that is 5 g or more per serving from the total carbs on any one food. So, if a piece of bread has 20 carbs and 5 g fiber, it is 15 net carbs.

You should contact your doctor and ask him how many total carbs per day you should be eating. Then MFP can help you stick to it.

Good luck. My son had no choice about being diabetic. You do. Choose not to.
  • lindajay49
    Options
    I was diagnosed in the fall with diabetes Type 2. The best source of info I have found - and it's been terrific - is http://www.diabetesdaily.com. There are folks there who've dealt with diabetes for years and years, as well as newcomers, and their advice and assistance is outstanding. They also have a low-carb recipe section, which has been helpful. Go there. Meet some of those folks. Start your learning adventure.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I WAS pre diabetic Type II and cut out white carbs November 1st and proud to say I am no longer on any meds and I have also dropped 40+ pounds and have energy and great skin and feel younger... it was hard in the beginning but 4 months later I can truly say that I AM WORTH IT :) Best wishes on your journey
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would strongly encourage you to go to bloodsugar101.com to learn. It is an excellent website. There is also a forum - diabetesforums.com where you can talk to others that are diabetic or pre-diabetic. I am a type 2 diabetic and these sites have helped my gain control over my blood sugars. Please feel free to send me a friend request.
  • missyp43
    Options
    Oh thank you for all that information. That really helps. I have no idea how many carbs i should have per day so at my follow up appt I will definitely find out. Been trying to learn all i can about diabetes. I know this is my chance to try to reverse it while i can. Thanks again. :smile:
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The best source of info I have found - and it's been terrific - is http://www.diabetesdaily.com.

I'll have to check this website out!
  • missyp43
    Options
    Thank you so much. I will definitely check that out.
  • ILOVEFWANKWIN
    Options
    I use a lot of Joseph's Bakery stuff, you can find them online. The only place I've been able to find them is Walmart. The wraps are to die for and has pretty much taken place of all my bread intake :) Everything I have bought from them is delicious.
  • missyp43
    Options
    Thanks so much. I will have to try those out. Have a great day. :o)
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I would strongly encourage you to go to bloodsugar101.com to learn. It is an excellent website. There is also a forum - diabetesforums.com where you can talk to others that are diabetic or pre-diabetic. I am a type 2 diabetic and these sites have helped my gain control over my blood sugars. Please feel free to send me a friend request.

Thanks for the website. Very informative and useful.