How many calories am I really burning?

Options
Hi...I would love to hear from people if you count the exercise calories that MFP says your burning...or do you use the calories it says you burned on the machine you used? (treadmill or eliptical)

Replies

• tuckervc
    tuckervc Posts: 30
    Options
    I go by the machine. I will increase/decrease speed and incline and the machine knows this and MFP doesn't.
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use the ones that MFP gives me although I don't always agree with them, mostly they have given me too many when I've used the treadmill, elliptical etc.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I only go by my HRM. I find machines are too low and MFP is too high usually
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i use my HRM or BMF depending on the exercise. the ellipticals at my gym are off by anywhere from 30-150 calories, and mfp was always off for me too
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I always used to use the lower number...whichever one that was. I go by my HRM; the machines are always WAY over in calorie burn. Yesterday, the machine said I burned over 500 calories but my HRM said barely 300.
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i always go by my HRM, if i forget it at home, i go by the machine. i NEVER go by MFP because it exaggerates on the calories burned.
  • slwarmbrunn
    Options
    Get a hrm or even better a hr monitor polar h7 using the irunner app it has changed my workouts completely. Best of luck
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM unless it is something that I can't wear it, like swimming. Then i use MFP but don't trust it.
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Always the machine! Mfp gives off too many calories most times.. Would b nice to burn that many though!
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It is weird though...MFP says I am burning LESS than the machines say i am burning...and most people have said the MFP says you are burning more...I think I will follow the advice and buy a hrm I can wear...but that does that tell the calories I am burning during each work out ? Does any one know of a really simple one that seems accurate? Thanks so much...
  • jano59
    jano59 Posts: 1
    Options
    how many calories do you burn working on a busy hotel reception. i stand all day on an 8 hr shift. in this shift we show guests to bedrooms, walk thru the hotel to the bar etc. one site said 150 cals per hour, which i cant believe, it seems to much. this site says fishing for the same length of time wd burn up 1248 cals. helpppppp x
  • jmc0806
    Options
    It is weird though...MFP says I am burning LESS than the machines say i am burning...and most people have said the MFP says you are burning more...I think I will follow the advice and buy a hrm I can wear...but that does that tell the calories I am burning during each work out ? Does any one know of a really simple one that seems accurate? Thanks so much...

If you want a simple one look at something like the polar ft4. I think it's like $50-$60 on amazon.
  • jmc0806
    Options
    how many calories do you burn working on a busy hotel reception. i stand all day on an 8 hr shift. in this shift we show guests to bedrooms, walk thru the hotel to the bar etc. one site said 150 cals per hour, which i cant believe, it seems to much. this site says fishing for the same length of time wd burn up 1248 cals. helpppppp x

You should look into a fitbit. A heart rate monitor doesn't work for daily activities like that but a fitbit pedometer could give you an idea
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM for this. I have been wearing them since they first came out nod I can tell you from experience that the MFP calculator is way off and I wouldn't trust it. The cardio machines are definitely closer but still a ways off.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc I use this. It comes out lower than MFP's, and they tend to over calculate here. I'm not sure if it's perfectly accurate, but I've lost weight and haven't had trouble maintaining using this.
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks ®¥one...I think I am going to get polar ft 4 like jmc0806 suggested...