Pilates

Options
moneb
moneb Posts: 8 Member
Does anyone do Pilates? I love it...I try and go once a week.
Eventually my goal is to be an instructor...but I think I have a long way to go before then!

Replies

• Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Good for you! I have to say it's something that I find very boring - it requires too much concentration for me! I prefer more fast-paced things aerobics and dance to keep my interest.

Good luck!
  • amm114
    amm114 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love it too!! A friend gave me 3 Mari Winsor pilates DVDs so that's what I do. Have you ever tried yoga? I like that too.
  • slcbrus
    slcbrus Posts: 79
    Options
    I have tried Winsor Pilates and loved it. I love the deep muscle conditionning and the fact that you have to really pay attention to form. It's tough work, sometimes boring indeed but very effective.

I also practice fusion workouts that integrate pilates-yoga-ballet, mostly the Bar Method and Core Fusion workouts. No massive calories burn during the workouts but you do burn on the long run as your muscles get stronger and your body leaner.

Everyone, women and men too, should add a pilates based routine to their workout routines. It does wonder for flexibility but also helps control breathing during workouts and can help people with fragile knees and back.
  • moneb
    moneb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ohhk. Yeah at my gym they have both pilates and yoga classes. I'm not sure what it's like at other places but at ours, pilates is much harder and focuses on core and abs, while yoga is more breathing and relaxation. I went a few times to yoga, but i found that a bit boring.
    Do you have a DVD or something for the fusion yoga-ballet-pilates? Or is it a class that you go to?
    I've been looking for some new DVDs to use....What do you recommend? I'm open to pilates/yoga/dance/boxing/tai chi etc as long as there is not too much focus on breathing. :smile:
  • amm114
    amm114 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I find that a class titled "fitness yoga" or "power yoga" is a lot less breathing/relaxation, so if you can find one of those, try that. I don't do the yoga classes that focus on relaxation because it bores me too.

I've never tried anything other than Winsor Pilates or a pilates class, so unfortunately I can't recommend any other DVDs.