what to eat before 5:45 am workout ?

Options
There are so many answers to this it seems, I usually have an English muffin and 1 tbsp of coconut oil on it. Then I read train on an empty stomach, what do you do ? I don't want to end up with my body munching down what little muscle I have. But with 30 lbs to lose could that even happen ? Thanks.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I start at 5am and workout on an empty stomach. Other than water, I don't have anything until my workout is done. By then my kid is up for school, and I usually have a glass of chocolate milk, get her ready, drop her off and then eat breakfast when I get back. Been working great for me.

I've read arguments for both eating and not eating before workouts, but really I think it's whatever works best for you. Many people have success either way. Personally, there's no way I'm getting up any earlier than 4:45 just so I can eat something and let it settle a bit before I start, so the empty stomach works great for me. Of course my workout is usually 45-50 minutes at the most, so if you're doing something longer, you might need the fuel.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Awfully early :) What type of workout? Cardio, muscle training? I would imagine whatever it is, need to hydrate. I would definitely do a 8OZ ov fresh squeezed veggie juice with a spoon of flax meal mixed in it?
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Back when I actually got up in time to do an AM workout, I ate a small piece of cheese, turkey or a few bites of cottage cheese. I was told by the manager at GNC to try and eat a protein within 30 minutes of a workout and within 30 minutes following a workout. I would make a protein smoothie after the workout - it was so rewarding. Note to self - get back on that wagon....
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I workout. In the past I had a latte- 4 oz espresso 1/2 cup 2% milk, and a banana, about 30 to 45 minutes before 6 am yoga. Now that I've been concentrating on getting more protein I have a smoothie with 2 cups spinach, 1 orange, 1 banana, water and a scoop of vanilla protein powder prior to leaving for yoga.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies ! Lifting 3can week, cardio, trampoline 2 times/week.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use to never eat before my early morning workouts (5 or 5:30) and always liked it. Recently though I just didn't feel like I was getting the most out of workouts anymore so I have been drinking 4-8 oz of a green protein smoothie. Wow what a difference it has made the last 3 weeks. I make up the smoothie ahead of time so all I have to do is pour it into a glass each morning.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Water and greek yogurt should be good. You don't really want to eat anything heavy at that hour. That's just how I feel.
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I do a "skinny" pbj---full scoop of pb and half scoop of jelly on one piece of bread. 250 cals with a little bit of protein and a few carbs---perfect to get me through the workout without feeling nauseous/shaky without messing up my numbers for the day.
  • FitterNurse2013
    FitterNurse2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Something quick and nutritious is what you need. Try a fast digesting carb such as a banana To make it complete have 1 piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter on it and a drizzles of honey. I love it with the slices of banana on it. This will give you protein, whole grains, carbs and a boost of energy! Try it! Let me know. :smile:
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    i workout at 5 30 am and find i cant eat before this time. i agree a quick protein shake would be a good idea to get some energy down easily :)
  • peasandyou
    Options
    I eat a banana before and have a protein shake after.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I work at 6.30am

Cardio days I have nothing, so do it fasted.
    Weights days I have 10g BCAA and 25g protein (shake) before and 25g protein + banana afterwards.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Cardio or strength, I grab a fresh coffee before I leave and plenty of water. Works for me at that time of day!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Train fasted.

Don't train fasted.

It really makes very little difference.

Just make sure you get adequate macro intake at the end of the day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Base it off personal preference and gym performance.
  • tandtam
    tandtam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake 30 minutes before work out. gives energy and stops hungry stomach all at once
  • theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I do cardio early, around 4:00am, if its a long run, i.e. 3+ miles, I will usually eat a single serving cup of applesauce... for the simple carbs. I found that if I did the long runs on an empty stomach, I would get really woozy and almost pass out..
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    I have to add to the banana lovers in this thread. If I'm feeling particularly indulgent, I'll measure out a tablespoon of peanut butter and put it on the banana. Or just eat the peanut butter, if I don't have any bananas around.

Most of my working out is still running, and I get pretty nauseous around mile 2 if I haven't got something to eat beforehand.
  • Graham_077
    Graham_077 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nowadays I only do one early morning workout a week. (6.30am spin class). I take about 20g of protein and a cup of tea about 30 mins before. I personally don’t have the energy to do fasted training. But a lot is down to personal preference. Just don’t starve yourself for too long after a workout.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Do what is right for you. I cannot workout on an empty stomach, I feel dizzy, sick and have no energy.