Simple Ground Chicken recipe?

Options
servilia
servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
Something possessed my husband to buy two packages of ground chicken so now I must cook it lol Anyone have a relatively simple recipe? I'm at the beck and call of a 1 month old so a complicated one might be hard to pull off.

Replies

• Sugabear76
    Options
    Make chili. Ground chicken is so good to cook chili with. Add a little olive oil to the skillet though
  • rclay316
    rclay316 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make chicken muffins. Use a muffin pan. Combine ground chicken approx 2lbs), 1/2 chopped onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 cup quick cook oats, 4 tablespoons of liquid eggs, Mix all together. Make into racquetball sized balls. Makes approx 12 @ 80calories each. Its very good.
    Cook on 375 for approx 40 minutes. Or make chicken burgers.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I make chicken taco salads. Spray pan with non-stick spray. Put ground chicken in to brown in pan. Flavor it with taco seasoning. I make my own because I want to avoid the sodium, but you can just use a package of store bought if you want to keep it easy. Make up BIG bowl of lettuce, throw on the cooked chicken, open a can of diced tomatoes - drain and add, add a can of refried beans or other beans if you have them and want to, add whatever miscellaneous chopped veggies you like (onions, peppers, olives), add fresh or jarred salsa, top with shredded cheese and/or sour cream. Stir to toss and serve. Yummy and takes like 10 or maybe 15 minutes to make?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the ideas and recipes :)
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump! Ground chicken sounds yummy gonna try never used ground chicken only turkey I will try this!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I make taco salad, similar to the above - except I add in loads of veggies to the chicken mix.

Brown the ground meat for a few minutes, then toss in chopped onions, peppers, jalapenos, carrot or broccoli slaw, and any other veggies you like. I also toss in diced or strained tomatoes once the meat is browned and the vegetables are soft and then lots of good homemade taco seasoning. Turn it to medium low and simmer to thicken and then serve over lettuce or spinach.

I often crisp up some corn tortilla strips in the oven as they go much further this way than just eating the tortillas whole.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Great idea! But can someone please tell me how you make your own taco seasoning?
    Thnks
  • leannaona
    leannaona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Taco Spice
    4 tsp chili powder
    11/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp seasoned salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp onion powder

I make 10 times this recipe and store it in an airtight container, so it's ready to be used when I need it.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Great idea! But can someone please tell me how you make your own taco seasoning?
    Thnks

Here's my recipe for a salt-free version:

Taco Seasoning

Original recipe makes 2 tablespoons which is plenty for a lot. I keep it in a shaker to use as needed.

2 teaspoons hot chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon Nosalt
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
    1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
    1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    thanks both of you for the taco season recipe !!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe I found on closetcooking blog, but don`t bother with the salt...
  • christineengel13
    christineengel13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did you see the Southwest Meatloaf recipe on here? I belive that was using ground chicken.