Still hungry after eating?

Options
mer1441
mer1441 Posts: 35 Member
Okay.. well after eating a meal, breakfast for example (a good bowl of oatmeal made with almond milk topped with a sliced banana and a few blueberries), I will feel hungry about 10-20 minutes once I've consumed it and lasting until lunch just feels like a mission.. does anyone else get this or understand why I am feeling like this? I am definitely drinking enough but that doesn't seem to help... help! thankyou :)

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you are eating instant oatmeal, then I could see why it wouldn't keep you full that long, it doesn't really keep me full either and I think it's because it's really processed. Try adding some peanut butter to your oatmeal for protein, or some chopped nuts. You can also try steel cut oats, they are less processed and I find they keep me fuller for longer.
  • mer1441
    Options
    I've been eating organic steel cut oats which I cook myself with added almond milk and water...doesn't make sense why I should be feeling the need to eat after that! And thanks for the reply :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    too much fiber, oats and fruits just go right through me...eat more protein..oatmeal does not fill me up or last for me either...i always eat an egg with it..thats just me though. processing has nothing to do with it..
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Despite the fact that people say oatmeal fills you up it never seems to do that.

This is why bacon and eggs is a good breakfast meal.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Edited to take my foot out of my mouth....

But still, try adding protein and healthy mid morning snack.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You dont have to last till lunch , plan mid morning low cal healthy snack , that may help:smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Try making your breakfast higher in protein.
  • mer1441
    Options
    too much fiber, oats and fruits just go right through me...eat more protein..oatmeal does not fill me up or last for me either...i always eat an egg with it..thats just me though. processing has nothing to do with it..

Yeah, thats probably it - although the breakfast I used there was from todays example, usually from Monday to Fridays I have gluten free brown bread with eggs and I'll still feel hungry after that too..maybe it's just my mind thinking I am hungry :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? Is your body getting enough fuel? I usually need about 20 grams of protein a meal to feel full.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're thirsty? Sometimes when I don't drink enough I feel hungry even if I've eaten. Are you drinking enough water?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Try making your breakfast higher in protein.
    This. Its more filling. That or your not eating enough.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Maybe your breakfasts just aren't big enough? I used to have ~500 cal at breakfast before beginning IF
  • janinems1
    Options
    I feel your pain. It doesn't matter what I consume...for any meal. Protein, fiber, etc, I am hungry in 2 hours. I have not been able to find a way to make the hunger go away. I guess I just have to learn to live with it if I am going to lose weight.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat too fast and my brain and stomach take a while after eating to get in sync with each other. I've been making myself a cup of tea at the same time as my meal and I sip that during or after my meal. By the time I've finished my hot beverage my body has usually recognised that I'm not in fact hungry anymore.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it's always been worse when I eat breakfast. It kicks off my metabolism I guess and I'm starving all day. For a long time I didn't have breakfast and wasn't hungry until noon or something. But if I have something at 8am... starving at 10am.

And like others say, unless I really eat too much I'm usually hungry after 2 hours anyway. But I guess that's why 'they' say it's better to eat smaller meals but more of them.

Tea makes me ravenous as well. I've never got that one. But if I'm a bit hungry and have tea, I'm going to be starving when I'm done. A bit better if I put milk in it though.

Shakeology has helped me though, it takes me one hour to drink and keeps me full for 2 more (and before people comment on this... I'm not a coach lol). So if I'm really hungry I have one of those and I'm set for a while.
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So, this may not aply to you at all, but I have GERD (acid reflux) and my primary symptom is feeling very hungry starting about 15-20 min after I eat- even when I eat a full meal than includes plenty of protein and healthy fats. It almost feels like my stomach is about to growl, but it never does. I actually feel more hungry after I eat than before. It's sooo annoying!

As I said, it may not apply to you, but I thought I'd share my experience just in case. Do you ever have other symptoms of heartburn/ reflux/ upset stomach? If so, Id talk to you doctor about it. There are lots of things you can do to help it.
  • littlehealthyhope
    littlehealthyhope Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    you should probably eat slow, they say you start to realize that youre full after 20 mintues of chewing.
    or, you should just eat more.listen to ur body!
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have protein for breakfast, usually cottage cheese. If I start the day with a mostly carb meal there aren't enough calories to fill me up for the rest of the day.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    Okay.. well after eating a meal, breakfast for example (a good bowl of oatmeal made with almond milk topped with a sliced banana and a few blueberries), I will feel hungry about 10-20 minutes once I've consumed it and lasting until lunch just feels like a mission.. does anyone else get this or understand why I am feeling like this? I am definitely drinking enough but that doesn't seem to help... help! thankyou :)

'cook' it in cold water overnight, this method of preparing the oats always keeps me fuller longer. Something about the oats turning into more sugars or something *I have no idea actually* but a friend told me that it makes a big difference and I had the same problem of being hungry right after eating oatmeal... so I tried it and guess what? I wasn't hungry for hours! actually full afterwards. The key is to get regular oats (non instant) let it soak overnight and toss some fruit on top, pour excess water off and its super yum!