Work-appropriate walking shoes

Options
Hey guys,

I love to walk to and from work but I'm sick of carrying my running shoes around with me.

Do you know what brand (preferably in Australia but I can shop online) sells good, supportive shoes that can be worn for about an hour's walk, but at the same time are appropriate for work?

I work in an office. The dress code is casual but I still wouldn't feel comfortable wearing my running shoes there. I thought maybe all-black Vans or someone suggested Nike Airs (still too casual?) but I would love some other opinions!

Thanks!

Replies

• nicolab91
    Options
    Anyone?
  • LibbyCaramia
    LibbyCaramia Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Aussie here, I've just bought some soft leather Dr. Marten's for work - I work in a cafe and am constantly moving so I needed something comfortable, supportive but also professional looking. I'm really happy with them, usually I go through a few pairs of Volleys a year (comfy, but not long-lasting at all) so really enjoying these tough Doc's.

Just Google "Dr. Marten's Tisha" if you wanna check 'em out :)

They were $180 which was surprising, expected to pay upwards of 200 for Doc's. Great value.

Otherwise, try Ecco or Skechers. Also comfy and long-lasting.

Good luck!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    How far are you walking?

I love my ecco shoes, and my sketchers, so a thumbs up from me for both those brands
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Get comfy shoes and keep heels in the office.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Do you not have somewhere at the office to leave your trainers rather than carrying them around during the day? I would leave a pair of work shoes at the office (to save carrying them to and from work) and then wear my trainers to and from the office.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It was easy for me - I work in front-line Emergency Room, my work shoes are high leg Magnum Protector public order boots.

Very comfy walking around for a 13h shift, still comfy when you have to drop you car off at a garage for service and walk home 6 miles after said 13 hour shift! :-)

Not really office shoes though...

23309_0.jpg
  • martinh78
    Options
    Do you have a Rohan store in Australia?

They do travel shoes, which are smart emough to go to a resteraunt in, comfortable enough to wear everyday for months, and tough enough for light trekking.

I loved mine. Wore a hole in the sole I wore them THAT much!
  • nicolab91
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll check out all of those suggestions. Really appreciate it :)

I'd feel weird leaving my shoes at work because I've currently got a share-job and wouldn't want the other employee to deal with my shoes being left in his workspace haha.
  • selmafeki
    selmafeki Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What about some nice Reebok easytones? They're quite discrete and nice looking :)
  • MacDHH
    MacDHH Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do you have Dansko/Sanita around? I used to wear their Margarete (sp?) style when I walked to work years ago (it was about an hour each way). I found them more comfortable than trainers! I did have heels at work but if it was a casual day, I didn't bother changing (we had to wear suits on some days). They're not the prettiest shoes around, but with some long, wide-legged trousers, only the tip sticks out.

Also, could you leave your shoes in a box or discreet shoe bag out of the way of the other employee?
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have Birkenstocks Australia? Their shoes are good for walking.

I have been wearing some of the Merrell Barefoot life shoes which are good for a casual office environment and for walking. Again, I'm not sure of the availability in your country