VEGETARIAN/VEGAN SUPPORT

Options
haileyro
haileyro Posts: 38 Member
Hi everyone!
My name is Hailey, i've recently started researching and educating myself in meat-eating and everything that comes with it and have pretty much decided to stop eating it. Originally I wanted to do a trial month but everyday with the more research I do I continue to feel strongly about becoming vegetarian. This is huge for me as i've grown up eating/loving meat without much thought. I'm also considering the option of vegan but have a feeling I will have a really hard time with this- i'm mostly looking for support and advice from any vegan/vegetarians so feel free to add me or message me,
thank you!
Hailey

Replies

• EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I've been Vegan since mid September 2012 & Vegetarian a month before that. Going Vegan is much easier than I thought it would be.
  • Jacqsie
    Jacqsie Posts: 51
    Options
    Heeeeey!!! I'm a huge vegan advocate and totally adore the lifestyle. I honestly taste more food and appreciate it a lot more now that I am vegan and have been happily vegan for 7 months now :) I was veggie before that for 4 years :) The transition was easy for me and I feel better now that I don't use or limit alternative foods/drinks because of how they are processed :)
  • Jacqsie
    Jacqsie Posts: 51
    Options
    Can we make a bet you don't tell at least half a dozen people in the next year that you are vegetarian/vegan when there is no need to? Do it if you care about the animals like I do but don't do it so you use it to say you are so special because that isn't pretty. This is coming off like you are trying to be better than meat eaters.

Why do you need support to eat after all? odd.

Speaking from experience it is hard when the majority of people around you are meat eaters and often makes the non meat eater and or vegan feel awkward because they may feel like they are being an annoyance to others and that's a horrible feeling. If she is asking for support then that's great, don't knock her for it. It is such a relief when you find like minded people that you can share things with (this doesn't even have to be about diet...just even general interests and hobbies) I find it pretty pointless that you would comment clearly offering no support what soever apart to have a wee jab.
    I was always told that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all and that helping people through support is one of the most rewarding acts you can do with your time.
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Gee, I don't know, some of us find it helpful to share recipes and meal ideas! Go figure.

Anyway, to the OP and anyone else interested: I'm vegan, so please feel free to add me if you want to look at my diary.
  • CrowdStoppa
    Options
    Can we make a bet you don't tell at least half a dozen people in the next year that you are vegetarian/vegan when there is no need to? Do it if you care about the animals like I do but don't do it so you use it to say you are so special because that isn't pretty. This is coming off like you are trying to be better than meat eaters.

Aren't you the negative one??? She has obviously thought this through and is looking for other people with the same interests. I haven't eaten meat in almost 20 years and I rarely make it known to people just for the sake of it.

I have found it best to keep my vegetarianism to myself because my meat-eating friends get so defensive and worry I might push my beliefs and practices on them.

That is a no-no in my book! Nobody should ever push another person to think as they do. We are all entitled to act as we desire not how someone else desires.
  • Papayamaya5
    Papayamaya5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan gal feel free to add me xx
  • haileyro
    Options
    You must have a really negative mindset if you took this open forum post looking for nothing but SUPPORT and took it as me trying to make you feel bad for eating meat. I'm not even a vegetarian really yet so i'm actually saying this on your side of the fence to all people who eat meat- you have your right to continue eating meat just like i have the right to choose a plant-based diet. but please STOP being so disrespectful about it, even as a meat-eater I have never understood the criticisms and judgments for those who are vegetarian/vegan when if anything it should be praised.
    Ps. half of the forums are about 'support' .. it's pretty much the purpose of this website other then calorie counting. hahaha..."odd".
  • haileyro
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi Hailey,

I have an idea of what it feels like to need some support.
    Actually, sometimes support just means "help me maneuver my way to get where I might want to be".
    That's what I think you mean and in some ways the way I currently feel too.

While I was growing up, I naturally steered away from meat. Both of my parents ate plenty of meat, but I always loved my
    veggies more and left the meat on the side. My dad would help me out when my mom was out of the room a few minutes
    during a meal and she would for a long time think I ate it up while she was gone and instead my dad ate it. Eventually she figured it out :) Then she played the game hoping I'd eat it, but well I did a tiny bit.......she was happy with that much.

When I became a teen, I told my parents I didn't want meat on my plate and the only time I did enjoy it was when we had
    meatsauce or meatballs (small ones and I barely ate two). Somehow the flavor of meat was good in the homemade sauce.
    Otherwise, I didn't like meat. I did eat fish, loved it and so much enjoyed grains, veggies and fruits.

Later when I was married and had my kids, the ob dr. told me women often crave meat and I thought he was crazy but suddenly
    I saw it was true, I wanted SOME meat and so here and there I did eat chicken, some steak.
    As my kids grew, I did prepare meat and partake a little.........so to fast forward to now. My kids are grown, 23 and 20 this year,
    I so much want to go back to how I was.

Vegetarian isn't really too hard, but to gain knowledge on Vegan seems more difficult to me.
    The reason is that I still like eggs and butter a little and some bacon bits and just a smidgen in my Vegetarian diet. I was never
    STRICT.
    If I wanted to really become strict, I would feel as you, Hailey, needing some support to help me get to the point of ridding the last
    of it all.............in the past month I also contemplated Vegan and go in the store and get somewhat confused at products and am
    questioning the future decision.

If I were to ask for support of others out there who are Vegetarian 100% or Vegan, I don't think that is making others feel I am better. I have lately spoken to many people interested in Nutrition and Foods and none of us ever feel we are better than others, it's just simply a supportive conversation and most people thank each other when the time spent is done.

So, Hailey, I wish you the best in your future decision. It's a well worth decision I feel as well :)
    Best wishes to you!!

Add me if you like, I'd be happy to go through the MFP journey with you as a friend.

Rosemary
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating meat with every meal, I bacame vegetarian about 9 weeks ago and love it, I wanted to go vegan but couldnt do it. but now I only eat farm fresh eggs, no store eggs that came from factory chickens, and I dont drink milk, except my occational latte, and im trying to limit my cheese, which is still a work in progress. feel free to add me
  • linnaeus
    linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, feel free to add me if you want :)

if you find yourself in a state of craving, try to narrow down what exactly you're craving - is it a salty/fatty craving? A texture craving, like something creamy, or chewy? Is it the social aspect, coming together to enjoy a common meal? Finding answers that both respect your morals and your physical needs will help you on the path.

You'll find your cravings adjust to your changing diet too - I've reached a place of craving my steamed veggies! SO, bear in mind cravings come and go too, don't take 'em too seriously.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian since 1995. Anyone can feel free to add me. :smile:
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 22 days and vegetarian for about a year before that. I love the lifestyle! Anyone is free to add me to see my diary and get support!
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Vegan for about 2 and a half years and LOVING it!
    Feel free to add :)
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    welcome to the fold :flowerforyou:

i would not recommend doing vegan straight away. if you've been eating meat practically your entire life, it's going to be a shock. you are going to have rewire your entire eating habits.

another thing i cant stress enough:

READ THE LABELS

you will be surprised at what isn't vegetarian. the biggest pit falls are 'low calorie' or 'low fat' desserts which often have beef gelatine in them.

good luck
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am vegan have been for 2 years add me if you like.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We all begin tip toeing, but for good health, it is a winner. Now they just have come up with info that animal products have a lot of metals: iron, copper, zinc that oxidize in the brain and is the cause of Alzheimer’s. I also suspect those corroded mercury fillings.
    I use dry beans. Just boil 2 cups at a time. I make 1/2 cup flatten, frozen snack bags if I think I have too much, that way I can choose, black, white, kidney beans. Brown rice and quinoa I do the same. It really makes meal prep unbelievably easier.
    Igot rid of wheat too when I found that wheat spikes the appetite, so got rid of that as well.
    The toughest part is just learning how to do it.
    You might also want to watch Forks over Knives and read Fuhrman's Eat to Live and Wheat Belly.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    HI!

Feel free to add if you like!

It did take me awhile to get it down so that I got a good variety of recipes. There was a learning curve for me. The more I researched the easier it got.

LOVE LOVE some Amy's and Annie's!

I do avoid the veggie burger route because for some reason it makes me feel icky. I do like falafel and make a TON of stuff with it!

My husband is a meat and potato man and he even really likes a lot of the recipes I cook.

All the best to you and like I said feel free to add!!!
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hola -

I am a former strict vegetarian/vegetarian. I followed for years until I got sucked into the lo-carb high protein craze. I have tried it on and off, but feel that a plant based diet is more alligned with my body and conscious. I am starting over, but hoping that with age has come the responsibility to do this healthier this time.

When I started this about a decade ago, it was much more difficult. There is a lot more available now.

I would love a few vegan friends on here with open diaries for ideas.
  • haileyro
    Options
    Hi Hailey,

I have an idea of what it feels like to need some support.
    Actually, sometimes support just means "help me maneuver my way to get where I might want to be".
    That's what I think you mean and in some ways the way I currently feel too.

While I was growing up, I naturally steered away from meat. Both of my parents ate plenty of meat, but I always loved my
    veggies more and left the meat on the side. My dad would help me out when my mom was out of the room a few minutes
    during a meal and she would for a long time think I ate it up while she was gone and instead my dad ate it. Eventually she figured it out :) Then she played the game hoping I'd eat it, but well I did a tiny bit.......she was happy with that much.

When I became a teen, I told my parents I didn't want meat on my plate and the only time I did enjoy it was when we had
    meatsauce or meatballs (small ones and I barely ate two). Somehow the flavor of meat was good in the homemade sauce.
    Otherwise, I didn't like meat. I did eat fish, loved it and so much enjoyed grains, veggies and fruits.

Later when I was married and had my kids, the ob dr. told me women often crave meat and I thought he was crazy but suddenly
    I saw it was true, I wanted SOME meat and so here and there I did eat chicken, some steak.
    As my kids grew, I did prepare meat and partake a little.........so to fast forward to now. My kids are grown, 23 and 20 this year,
    I so much want to go back to how I was.

Vegetarian isn't really too hard, but to gain knowledge on Vegan seems more difficult to me.
    The reason is that I still like eggs and butter a little and some bacon bits and just a smidgen in my Vegetarian diet. I was never
    STRICT.
    If I wanted to really become strict, I would feel as you, Hailey, needing some support to help me get to the point of ridding the last
    of it all.............in the past month I also contemplated Vegan and go in the store and get somewhat confused at products and am
    questioning the future decision.

If I were to ask for support of others out there who are Vegetarian 100% or Vegan, I don't think that is making others feel I am better. I have lately spoken to many people interested in Nutrition and Foods and none of us ever feel we are better than others, it's just simply a supportive conversation and most people thank each other when the time spent is done.

So, Hailey, I wish you the best in your future decision. It's a well worth decision I feel as well :)
    Best wishes to you!!

Add me if you like, I'd be happy to go through the MFP journey with you as a friend.

Rosemary

Thank you so much for this post!