Vegan-ish

Options
Hey y'all!

I have been vegan for a whole 5 days now and it's been surprisingly easy AND tasty! (This coming from a Texas girl who loves her bbq brisket and all things with bacon on top)

I've lost about a pound a day so far and have no headaches, no stomach aches, and my energy levels are pretty high! It's truly been a great experience.

I want to keep up with eating the 20% fruit and 80% vegetables each day to keep losing weight and being healthier, but I know that it's not really sustainable with my social life/lifestyle to be vegan 100% of the time.

My question for y'all is if any of you"vegan-ish" folks have cheat days? If so how often and do you gain a ton of weight when you do?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    How are you getting adequate fats and protein eating only fruits and vegetables?
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a balanced diet, which if you tally your MFP entries probably would indicate you need more than just fruits and veggies? You do need some fats, proteins and such............maybe add at least some seeds and nuts to your diet. That's a start anyway.
  • laurenepierce
    laurenepierce Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am making sure to include avocados for fats and brocoli and beans for protein.

On a side note, I think we have a protein obsessed culture. If you're not a body builder then most of the protein we eat is going to turn around and become fat. Don't get me wrong though- I LOVE red meats!

http://lambti.me/post/31321982742/alana-i-want-the-barbeque-then-i-want-the

haha
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Although I do at times eat some meat, I am trying to steer away also, and so on those days I steer away especially, I drink Almond Milk, Almond Butter, and there are plenty of plants that do have protein, which so many people don't realize. So, anyway, here is an article I've read and wanted to share if anyone out there is interested. It definitely shares that Vegetarians/Vegans don't have anything to worry about if you eat the plants and seeds/nuts needed. Great news!!

http://www.articlesbase.com/wellness-articles/vegetarian-protein-sources-know-them-eat-them-850345.html
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I too eat mostly fruit and veggies and I am way healthier than pretty much every one else I know. I do eat nuts and tofu. I agree we do live in a protein obsessed society.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am making sure to include avocados for fats and brocoli and beans for protein.

On a side note, I think we have a protein obsessed culture. If you're not a body builder then most of the protein we eat is going to turn around and become fat. Don't get me wrong though- I LOVE red meats!

http://lambti.me/post/31321982742/alana-i-want-the-barbeque-then-i-want-the

haha

Unfortunately protein and fat are two things the body can not be without. For health reasons I would advise seriously upping your protein and fat intake.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Although I do at times eat some meat, I am trying to steer away also, and so on those days I steer away especially, I drink Almond Milk, Almond Butter, and there are plenty of plants that do have protein, which so many people don't realize. So, anyway, here is an article I've read and wanted to share if anyone out there is interested. It definitely shares that Vegetarians/Vegans don't have anything to worry about if you eat the plants and seeds/nuts needed. Great news!!

http://www.articlesbase.com/wellness-articles/vegetarian-protein-sources-know-them-eat-them-850345.html

From this article: Protein is one of the most essential parts of our body. The growth of our hairs, development of our muscles, bones, ligaments and other tissues primarily depends on our protein intake. Without protein human body would lack the necessary hormones and enzymes which are crucial for digestion, metabolism and other important processes.

By all means get them in vegetarian form but you do need them!