Not my success, but worth sharing IMO

Options
About 3 weeks ago a friend asked me if I'd ride with her for an errand she had to run to keep her company. It was an hour or so drive one way and we don't get a lot of time together so I decided to ride along. I had just got off work and knew I'd be hungry so I grabbed some pickles, an apple and some low fat cheese.

This friend is about 5'5" and weighs less than 100lbs and has for several years since some health and emotional issues. She knows she needs to gain weight, She knows she's not healthy. In her own words "I just forget to eat, I'm not hungry" I think she was living on Mt. Dew and a nibble of whatever she cooked for her husband and son.

During our drive I was telling her about starting this lifestyle change. She was most impressed with me telling her I hadn't had a Pepsi in 2 weeks and told me she was proud of me. I told her "You have no idea the will power it's takes for me to sit here and drink this water and eat this apple and not have you stop so I can grab a cheeseburger and soda"

The conversation changed to her health and weight. I've tried to give her advice before but was never really forceful about it. This time I was.

"You know, the willpower it takes for me not to have you stop and get me a cheeseburger is the same willpower it's going to take for you to gain weight. Set an alarm for every half hour and eat a spoonful of peanut butter. Put a bowl of almonds on the table and every time you walk by, eat five. Make a new rule that everyone eats one meal together and sit down with them and eat at least 3 bites of everything on your plate. If I have the willpower to LOSE weight, you've got the willpower to gain it"

She called me yesterday. She gained 8 lbs in three weeks.

God is good :)

Replies

• mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Really great story!
  • debege
    debege Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    She is lucky to have you as a friend. Some times people need a little tough love. It's great that she has you to talk to. Good luck to both of you.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the topic of your post. It IS your success...and hers.

You have made a positive lifestyle change and it helped someone else. That is truly success in my book. Be proud and happy!

Good job to both of you.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    That is so awesome, I am so happy for you and your friend x
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Wow...very nice. Thank you for sharing.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Congrats to both of you! In your case, I admire the courage it took for you to be honest with your friend and am glad she had the courage to listen. Best wishes to both of you for continued success!
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Your friend is lucky to have you and I am glad she listened to you. Kudos to your will power to resist fatty foods and sodas. You are my hero.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the topic of your post. It IS your success...and hers.

You have made a positive lifestyle change and it helped someone else. That is truly success in my book. Be proud and happy!

Good job to both of you.

This!! Good for you for standing up for a friend, alot of people do not have this kind of courage
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: What a WONDERFUL Friend You are to her!! I know that she Blesses you, too, but I am glad that you are in her Life!!
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story! Great job on being a GREAT friend and good luck to you both!
  • theuber
    theuber Posts: 51
    Options
    That is absolutely fantastic!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!